Tax on Incentives - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
CMF Veteran Member

Tax on Incentives

I got the $3,000 incentive when I bought my car. One thing bothered me. They charged me tax on the incentive. I didn't pay the extra $3K, why do I have to pay tax on it? It just didn't seem to make sense. I calculated how much the tax should have been and they were charging me about $260 more than what I expected. That's when I found out that I was responsible for the tax on the incentive.

Does this sound right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 06:51 PM
CMF Veteran Member

Re: Tax on Incentives

Doesn't surprise me, they'll do just about anything to squeeze some more $ out of ya when your buying.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2.4L Ecotec I4 Titanium interior
20% tint /
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/

/

|
|
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 06:51 PM
CMF Rookie Member

That is 8.67%, so if that is how much your sales taxes are in your area then that sounds exactly right.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 06:53 PM
CMF Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I got the $3,000 incentive when I bought my car. One thing bothered me. They charged me tax on the incentive. I didn't pay the extra $3K, why do I have to pay tax on it? It just didn't seem to make sense. I calculated how much the tax should have been and they were charging me about $260 more than what I expected. That's when I found out that I was responsible for the tax on the incentive.

Does this sound right?
Yup, the tax is calculated after the trade-in but before the incentives are subtracted. The finance guy should have explained it to you. How are you figuring $260? Does your state have close to 9% sales tax? Wow.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 03:50 AM
CMF Senior Member

Depends on the state laws. Some tax prior to incentive, some tax after the incentive.

2010 Malibu- LTZ, 4cyl./6 speed, Mocha Steel Metallic
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
CMF Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starship View Post
Yup, the tax is calculated after the trade-in but before the incentives are subtracted. The finance guy should have explained it to you. How are you figuring $260? Does your state have close to 9% sales tax? Wow.
Yes, the Sales Tax Rate in NYC is 8.875%. The amount I paid was actually $266.25 for tax on the Incentive.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 11:21 AM
CMF Honorary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Yes, the Sales Tax Rate in NYC is 8.875%. The amount I paid was actually $266.25 for tax on the Incentive.
Ahhh, NY sales tax. I sure don't miss that. I lived in Suffolk county and we had 8.625%. Now I have 7% in FL.

Respected Former Administrator of CMF
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 03:52 PM
CMF Senior Member

Moved to SC from Pa where it was 6%. Here in SC it's also 6%, however, there is a $300 cap. Can't beat it.

2010 Malibu- LTZ, 4cyl./6 speed, Mocha Steel Metallic
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 10:38 AM
CMF Senior Member

Look at the bright side. When the domestic automakers first started using rebates in the late 70s/early 80s people used to get charged Federal Income Tax on the rebate even though they never saw the money. The government required the automakers to send a 1099 to each purchaser that received a rebate. After some griping things were changed.

Bill
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 05:02 AM
CMF Senior Member

If you check, even when you go to places like Costco and you use their coupon, they charge tax on the original before coupon price. States are realizing they are loosing tax revenue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in