Anyone bought their Bu as a former rental unit? - Page 8 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 10:03 AM
CMF Senior Member

Re: Anyone bought their Bu as a former rental unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRichRod View Post
Was that for LTZ only though? My '09 2LT doesn't have it, while my '12 1LT does.
yea it was my 11 2lt does not have it, although I could have gotten it with the sound package.

2012 LT Platinum with Performance Package(V6), Crystal Red Tintcoat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Farewell to 2011 2LT v6 Black Granite Meteallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 09:39 PM
CMF Rookie Member

My 02 was a rental and the transmission exploded (literally) at 130,000 miles.

-Charles
post #73 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 11:27 AM
CMF Rookie Member

My 12 2LZ was a former rental picked it up with 26k miles, a couple scuffs but nice car. Also my previous car a 08 G6 GT was a ex rental. Bought it with 26k miles and ran it to 150k miles with no problems.

I put about 30k miles a year so it is hard to justify a new one, I get a year old and let someone else take the initial depreciation. Like any used car purchase wether ex rental or not give it a good look over if it looks good, it can be a great chance to save some money.

post #74 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 11:47 AM
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdtahoe View Post
My 12 2LZ was a former rental picked it up with 26k miles, a couple scuffs but nice car. Also my previous car a 08 G6 GT was a ex rental. Bought it with 26k miles and ran it to 150k miles with no problems.

I put about 30k miles a year so it is hard to justify a new one, I get a year old and let someone else take the initial depreciation. Like any used car purchase wether ex rental or not give it a good look over if it looks good, it can be a great chance to save some money.
In your situation I would do the same thing. I only put 11,000 on my '12 last year and plan to sit on it for six years so my motives are 180' from the daily driver.

It can be hard to know all the kinks on a car if you're not automotive savvy or have a good mechanic. Case in point below... but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the fault of being a rental. We all know $h!t happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Kline View Post
My 02 was a rental and the transmission exploded (literally) at 130,000 miles.

-Charles
While this can happen with any car, rentals are known for being run hard. Is it safe to say you won't be buying a former rental again or did you write it off on the vehicle itself?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1LT 2.4L/A6 (LE5) in Black Granite w/ All-Star Pkg.
1997 K1500 W/T 5.0L/A4 4x4

post #75 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 11:05 PM
CMF Rookie Member

I didn't know this one was a rental when I bought it.
I am elbow deep in a trans swap now, so I'm hoping to get many more years out of it.
post #76 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 06:29 AM
CMF Senior Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Kline View Post
I didn't know this one was a rental when I bought it.
I am elbow deep in a trans swap now, so I'm hoping to get many more years out of it.
I hope everything works out for you!

Yes, mine was a former rental. Bought it with 33k miles on it. Runs great.

'12 LTZ
•Anthracite Grey Wheels
•Anthracite Grey Bowties
•Matte Black Front Grills
•Red Brake Calipers
•Drilled & Slotted Rotors
•20% Window Tint
•10" Alpine Sub
post #77 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 08:14 AM
CMF Rookie Member

Bought my 12 LTZ V6 this last January as a fleet rental. Had 32K miles. The weird thing is that it had gone through the certification process at the dealership, I have the checklist, but not the certified warranty... Then right after I bought it, had the steering rack replaced. Now I have a weird noise from the front suspension. Oh yea, and the bolts on the rear trunk lid have been repainted meaning the rear trunk lid has been removed/replaced. Had a clean carfax, but I suspect it was wrecked and covered up... Last rental I'll ever buy!
post #78 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 11:57 AM
CMF Junior Member

Garage

My Bu' was a company car. Its a 2009 3.5L w/ the 4 speed auto. It had 88k on it when I purchased it and its still running like a champ.

MinnesotaMike

2009 Malibu LS 3.5L w/ 4 speed auto

Debadged
50% tint all the way around
Rockford Fosgate Power Series T1693 6x9s
35w 6000k HIDs
Blue LEDs in dome and map lights
Blue SMD foot well lights
Lower grille chrome strip
Weathertech Digital Fit floor mats
PTM side mirrors
Autobot bowties
EZ lip front spoiler
Custom seat covers
High power LED DRLs
LED Side Mirror Turn Signals
10ft Flexible Neon Glow Lighting Strip around dash
Custom pin striping
post #79 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 12:25 AM
CMF Rookie Member

I bought my Bu with 170k on the dial, which is extremely high, given the fact that it's a 2011. Still, it was for a great price and I've racked up 10k myself on her in 6 months. I hadn't had a single issue, until just recently.
post #80 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 08:09 AM
CMF Rookie Member

I bought my 2011 Chevy Malibu LT in Feb. 2012 from Hertz rentals. I rented it, took it to my mechanic and he checked it out. I paid $14K on the spot for it (I had saved up just to buy a car). I had transmission problems during my warranty period and my local Chevy dealer covered it 100% AND put me in a loaner for about a week NC while the work was being done. My Bu is now 7 years old and small things are starting to fail like my blinker signals (where I have to manually turn it off after turning), my tire pressure monitors (I just check my pressure periodically manually), and my airbag light is always on (which happened after AAA came and jump started my car). I have had battery issues for the last three years and have had to replace various burnt out fuses for the defroster and cigarette lighter. My batteries are always covered under warranty so I just get a new one. However, now my engine light comes on if I drive and turn my steering wheel aggressively so I have to be nice to her. My mechanic says it might be an oxygen sensor but I have yet to have him actually check it out. I want to give her to my daughter to go back and forth to local community college but she is not ready to drive (at 18 years old!!) . I have about 150-180K on her (I can't remember which but I know I'm over 150K). When I purchased her she had about 38K. I drive A LOT and go on a lot of road trips with my kids and girlfriends so this car is definitely used. I absolutely LOVE my car and I get regular oil changes. I may go BACK to Hertz if I decide to purchase another car because I had such a great experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in