Your opinion counts-LTZ 3.6 vs Fusion 3.0 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Your opinion counts-LTZ 3.6 vs Fusion 3.0

I bought in Chicago my loaded 2008 2LT back in Dec. 2008 and hauled it to Phoenix where I spend my winters. I am very satisfied with my choice- no problems what's over after 27K miles! Now I am planing my next purchase in Chicago this spring and I am debating between Malibu and Fusion-wife says let's drive a different car while in Chicago during summer. I run Edmunds between the two fully loaded cars and Malibu is $1k less. My friends are suggesting to consider as well the Sonata and Optima but I want as always to buy American not European or Asian cars. Has anybody run a real buy comparison - pros-cons between the two? There are some posts on the net but I will appreciate your real input decision for buying the Malibu instead of Fusion. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 04:44 PM
CMF Senior Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Lgndryhr
Re: Your opinion counts-LTZ 3.6 vs Fusion 3.0

If I were to buy a Ford sedan I say check out the new Taurus. I test drove a Fusion and was not impressed. The Sonata's look nice, but not a big fan of Asian imports. I don't mind European imports personally. My best advice is to test drive them all and see what you think. Then compare crash test ratings and overall cost (insurance, gas, maintenance, etc).

Traded: 2009 SIM Malibu LTZ I4 / A6
2011 SIM Camaro 1LT / RS A6
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS / RS A6(wrecked by someone texting and driving)

Wife drives a 2013 Camaro 1LT (marriage gift to wife)

Looking to get another SS or a ZL1
Old 03-28-2011, 06:04 PM
Banned

Personally, I would wait for the 2012 Malibu redesign! If you feel the need to buy now, the Ford Fusion is something to not over look! If you are comparing the Malibu LTZ 3.6L with the Fusion than you need to compare the right model! Fusion Sport is a 3.5L Duratec not a 3.0L!

Even though I like the Malibu and plan on keeping mine, I have to say the Fusion has more to offer! If you plan on driving in any winter conditions the Fusion offers AWD option! There are many option that the current Malibu does not offer! “If you want to compare apple to apples” Don’t take me wrong the Malibu is a Beautiful car but Ford has more to offer as of right now!

That’s why I suggest wait for the 2012 Malibu redesign!

Want a nice car, look at the new Ford Taurus!

Last edited by 08chevymalibultz; 03-28-2011 at 06:08 PM.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:08 PM
CMF Senior Member

Have you checked the insurance rates of some of the imports? My wife's 2011 Mazda3 insurance rate for 6 months was $170.00 more than my 2009 Malibu!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Malibu LT2 - Black Granite Metallic
Old 03-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman65 View Post
Have you checked the insurance rates of some of the imports? My wife's 2011 Mazda3 insurance rate for 6 months was $170.00 more than my 2009 Malibu!

I would not doubt it! I am thinking that the Mazda 3 would attract a lot of young drivers and the fact it is a fun car to drive! I know someone who just traded one in for the CX9 for their growing family!

Imports? I know Mazda was once an import before Ford bought them out, All part of the Ford Motor Company Now!
Old 03-28-2011, 07:01 PM
CMF Honorary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08chevymalibultz View Post

Imports? I know Mazda was once an import before Ford bought them out, All part of the Ford Motor Company Now!
Incorrect. Ford never bought them out. They bought a small portion, which was recently sold back to Mazda. They do partner on some items, but nothing more.

On November 18, 2008, Ford announced that it would be selling a 20% stake in Mazda, bringing its stake to 13.4%, and surrendering control of the company. The following day, Mazda announced that, as part of the deal, it was buying back 6.8% of its shares from Ford. On November 18, 2010, Ford reduced their stake further to just 3%, citing the reduction of ownership would allow greater flexiblity to pursue growth in emerging markets. Ford and Mazda remain strategic partners through joint ventures and exchanges of technological information.

Respected Former Administrator of CMF
Old 03-28-2011, 07:03 PM
CMF Honorary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman65 View Post
My insurance only went up $35 every six months for my Speed3 over the Malibu. So it depends....

To the OP. I have to admit that I think the new Fusion is a better car then the Malibu. From the reviews I have read and I have one friend who went from a Malibu to Fusion and loves it.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:30 PM
CMF Honorary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thElement View Post
Why wait for the 2012 redesign? It looks very "boxy" and cheap compared to the classy look of the 2008-2011 models.
How can you say that when all anyone has seen are test mules? I hope you're not making judgment on all the test mule pics posted....there has not been one production image released yet. Believe me, the new car will be better then the current one. They have to make it much better or it will never compete in the segment....

Old 03-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver LTZ View Post
Incorrect. Ford never bought them out. They bought a small portion, which was recently sold back to Mazda. They do partner on some items, but nothing more.

On November 18, 2008, Ford announced that it would be selling a 20% stake in Mazda, bringing its stake to 13.4%, and surrendering control of the company. The following day, Mazda announced that, as part of the deal, it was buying back 6.8% of its shares from Ford. On November 18, 2010, Ford reduced their stake further to just 3%, citing the reduction of ownership would allow greater flexiblity to pursue growth in emerging markets. Ford and Mazda remain strategic partners through joint ventures and exchanges of technological information.

OK, I learned something new! I know our current ford dealer sells them!
Old 03-28-2011, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Well, it's not fair to compare the Fusion SEL 3.0 V6 to an Malibu LTZ 3.6 V6. It is however, fair to compare it to a Fusion Sport, with the 3.5 V6...

Fusion Sport Pro's
- 2010 MCE
- Available Touch Screen Navigation
- Back Up Camera/Sensors
- Dual Zone Climate Control
- Keyless Entry Keypad on Door
- Standard Spoiler
- Monochrome Grille
- Available AWD
- 263 Horsepower
- Descent Handling
- SYNC
- "Sporty" looking

Fusion Sport Con's
- Made in Mexico
- 249 TQ at a High RPM (4500)
- Less Classy
- Bad Tail Lights
- Fuel Economy
- Gets Pricey with Options
- Unknown Reliability
- Chassis May Be too Firm
- Obtuse Interior
- Dated Side Profile
- Insipidly shaped Key
- It's a Ford

Malibu LTZ Pro's
- Luxurious Interior
- Classy Exterior
- Powerful Low End Torque (251 TQ at 3200 RPM)
- Exhaust Note
- Descent Handling
- Made In America
- Bose Sound System
- Standard Remote Start
- OnStar
- Chassis
- Not Too Hard/Not Too Soft Ride
- Looks More Expensive than it is
- Faster than the Fusion to 60 and the Quarter Mile

Malibu LTZ Con's
- Some Cheap Plastic
- Fuel Economy
- Artificially Weighted Steering
- Huge A-Pillar Blind Spot
- Front Wheel Drive
- Decontented Over the Years
- No BLIS (Blind Spot Warning)
- No Navigation Option
- No Dual Climate Control
- No Back Up Camera/Sensors
- Gets Pricey with Options

Present:

2014 Cadillac ATS4 3.6L Premium Collection

2006 GMC Envoy SLT

Past:

2011 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ V6 (29,520 miles)

Black Granite on Cocoa Cashmere with 3.6L V6, Sunroof, and... Cargo Nets!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in