How should the ordering process go? - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
CMF Senior Member

Question How should the ordering process go?

When I was shopping around for a Malibu I found that nobody around here had exactly what I wanted. I asked the dealer that seemed the best at the time about ordering one. They told me the vehicle was fast tracked and it should be done in 4 weeks if I ordered one.

When I decided to order one the next week I believe it was the sales manager came out and told me it would be 6 to 10 weeks and that was what it was for any new vehicle being ordered. I didn't raise the fact that the other salesman told me the vehicle was fast tracked and just thought the number was probably their safe number they tell everyone. Either way it was fine.

I told the dealer to place an order for a 2LT last Thursday. The salesman said that they put the order in on Friday and that the factory would pickup the order on Tuesday and they would have a build date on Thursday (today).

I hadn't heard anything so I called back in asking for the salesman. Instead I got who I think is his boss. I identified myself and he said the order was in and it would be 6 to 8 weeks. I asked if there were any problems with the strike and he said no. I told him that I was told I would be given a build date today and he said he thought there must have been some sort of miscommunication and that they don't give dates other than the 6 to 8 week period because they won't know anything until the vehicle is built.

I have never ordered a vehicle from a dealer before. I thought I would have something more concrete than 6 to 8 weeks and I seem to be getting different estimates every time I talk to them. I would just walk away but before things started to seem funny with them I gave them a $500 deposit to order the car. Is this how I should expect things to go?

Last edited by Schwartz; 04-10-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 01:10 PM
CMF Senior Member

Re: How should the ordering process go?

Here describes the events in my order:

3/17 - ordered vehicle - Dealer indicated 5 to 8 weeks till I would receive.
3/18 - vehicle order submitted to factory [Tuesday EOB - pm]
3/25 - dealer communicated build date week of 3/31

3/29 [Sat] - I communicated to the dealer that I was concerned that the AAM strike could impact the building of the car.
3/31 am - Dealer made several calls on my behalf and communicated to me it will be built and the strike would not impact the build.

4/2 am - Dealer phoned me indicating it was built on 4/1.
4/3 pm - vehicle delivered.

You should know - I live in South Eastern Michigan[NOT Detroit]. The Lake Orion plant is within 10 miles of my dealer. The dealer is a high volume dealership that serves many GM execs [I'm not a GM employee]. While I don't think they "pulled strings" for me, I do think they know how to "get things done".

Hope this helps.

2008 Malibu - 2LT
Dark Grey Metallic, Black Interior
V6|Sunroof|Premium Audio

Last edited by salgeek; 04-10-2008 at 01:12 PM.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 01:13 PM
CMF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to 08MalibuLeaser Send a message via Yahoo to 08MalibuLeaser

You could've walked to the factory and turned some wrenches yourself!

08' Malibu 2LT
Black Granite Exterior, Ebony Interior
Premium Audio, Sunroof, Mats
Lovin' Every Minute

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Lee
CMF Veteran Member

I don't have the dates in front of me, but it took approx. 2 months to get our Malibu. The dealer told me 6 weeks was average for most vehicles. I think it was a month or more before the dealer knew when the car would be made.
I have only ordered two vehicles and did not have to put down a deposit on either one.

Lee

08 Malibu LTZ (Her's)
Imperial Blue
Ebony & Brick interior
3.6 Lt. V6 & 6 spd.
Fairfax Plant Build Date, Jan 08

18 Equinox Premier AWD (Mine)
2.0 Lt. & 9 Speed
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 01:47 PM
CMF Honorary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I don't have the dates in front of me, but it took approx. 2 months to get our Malibu. The dealer told me 6 weeks was average for most vehicles. I think it was a month or more before the dealer knew when the car would be made.
I have only ordered two vehicles and did not have to put down a deposit on either one.
All that I can add is my ordered Malibu took 8 weeks. I was told at the time I placed the order that GM puts a build priority on vehicles that have deposits in place before they fill orders for inventory. After about 4 weeks the dealer called to say he could no longer give a delivery estimate because there was a problem with GM falling behind with the V6 engine assembly.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
CMF Senior Member

Thanks for the replies.

So it sounds like they should at some point be able to give me a date when the vehicle is scheduled to be built.

I didn't even question the deposit. They said it was a good faith deposit. I just figured it makes sense because I'd probably want something to prove someone was serious too before I ordered a $25,000 item for them. It sounds like maybe I should have questioned it? Like I said this was the first time I have ever ordered a vehicle so I thought it was normal to request such a deposit.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza Man View Post
All that I can add is my ordered Malibu took 8 weeks. I was told at the time I placed the order that GM puts a build priority on vehicles that have deposits in place before they fill orders for inventory. After about 4 weeks the dealer called to say he could no longer give a delivery estimate because there was a problem with GM falling behind with the V6 engine assembly.
So maybe the deposit was a good thing. I ordered a 4 cyl so I shouldn't run into the 6 cyl problem then.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 01:54 PM
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08MalibuLeaser View Post
You could've walked to the factory and turned some wrenches yourself!
Good one.

2008 Malibu - 2LT
Dark Grey Metallic, Black Interior
V6|Sunroof|Premium Audio
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 01:55 PM
CMF Honorary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post
Thanks for the replies.
No problem Schwartz, I hope your wait isn't too long. I'm taking bets on 5 weeks.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 02:18 PM
CMF Veteran Member

A deposit is not Required when ordering a car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in