9-speed transmission Issue again - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
CMF Senior Member

Garage
9-speed transmission Issue again

Hi everyone,

I am experiencing the same issue again. It doesn't accelerate when in uphill. It kicks really hard. This time there is no check engine light. They replaced valve body and control solenoid body last year. It doesn't change gears smoothly. It's like there is a lag to it. I am sure something is breaking again.

My post from last year

Last edited by amir_gh22; 05-20-2019 at 06:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:08 PM
CMF Junior Member

Garage
Re: Transmission Issue again

Quote:
Originally Posted by amir_gh22 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am experiencing the same issue again. It doesn't accelerate when in uphill. It kicks really hard. This time there is no check engine light. They replaced valve body and control solenoid body last year. It doesn't change gears smoothly. It's like there is a lag to it. I am sure something is breaking again.

My post from last year
When was your Bu built? I know you have a 2017 Premier but I was wondering maybe 1st batch of 2017s?

Also, at what mileage did this happen again? Just making a precaution since I have a 2017 Premier built May 2017.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Built: May 2017; Bought: Oct 2017
Mosaic Black Metallic Exterior-Jet Black Interior
Husky Liners (Front/Back/Cargo)
VXMOTOR Smoke Tinted Window Visor
Limo Tint Panoramic Roof
LTG Turbo Heat Shield
PTP T3 Lava Turbo Blanket
OPTI-COAT PRO+
All LED lights
Hood QuickLIFT ELITE
Custom Magnaflow Cat-back w/ Burnt Quad Tips
Plum Crazy Pearl Deck Lid Spoiler
Konig Ampliform 18x9 +15 offset 255/45r18
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:05 AM
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amir_gh22 View Post
Hi everyone,

My post from last year
Oh fabulous. I remember your issues from last time vividly and it's always in the back of my mind when I feel even the slightest rough shift in my car (infrequently but it occasionally does happen).

Is it happening only uphill? As I remember last time you had it happen only when taking off from a start, it wasn't during uphill climbs. Slipping transmission? I know this is a sickening development.

This time write a letter to GM about it as this is the SECOND time the tranny is acting up. Fuss, I sure did with the trials I'm having with my HVAC auto control that was never right from day one. I got GM to offer an additional 6 yr. warranty on the *entire* HVAC system starting last month, so basically 8 yrs. from purchase on the system (including compressor/evaporator/condenser and that's not even remotely what I had problems with). I've had GM do this before with items that break but aren't resolved properly. Hopefully they'll do the same for you.

Keep us posted, I for one will be following VERY closely as to what happens.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
CMF Senior Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmats View Post
Oh fabulous. I remember your issues from last time vividly and it's always in the back of my mind when I feel even the slightest rough shift in my car (infrequently but it occasionally does happen).

Is it happening only uphill? As I remember last time you had it happen only when taking off from a start, it wasn't during uphill climbs. Slipping transmission? I know this is a sickening development.

This time write a letter to GM about it as this is the SECOND time the tranny is acting up. Fuss, I sure did with the trials I'm having with my HVAC auto control that was never right from day one. I got GM to offer an additional 6 yr. warranty on the *entire* HVAC system starting last month, so basically 8 yrs. from purchase on the system (including compressor/evaporator/condenser and that's not even remotely what I had problems with). I've had GM do this before with items that break but aren't resolved properly. Hopefully they'll do the same for you.

Keep us posted, I for one will be following VERY closely as to what happens.
Thanks. Check engine light came on and it wouldn't change to 3rd gear. It's in dealer now. They gave me a loaner. I also got the notification from OnStar

An issue with the Engine and Transmission System in your 2017 Chevrolet Malibu has been detected. Please service your vehicle within 7 days.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:30 AM
CMF Senior Member

So it did fail hard finally. That's good, it makes diagnosis easier. With my HVAC they never could get a hard fail making diagnosis difficult. GM's Tech Assistance Center wasn't of much help either as they've never seen this before (temp blend roor actuators toggling like crazy after the heater ran for a while plus the HVAC not remembering the fan settings if turned OFF and the car was cut off for a few hours).

Will be curious if it is the same thing again. Out of curiosity did you get an On-Star warning last time? And how did you get it, in the center display or an email?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
CMF Senior Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmats View Post
So it did fail hard finally. That's good, it makes diagnosis easier. With my HVAC they never could get a hard fail making diagnosis difficult. GM's Tech Assistance Center wasn't of much help either as they've never seen this before (temp blend roor actuators toggling like crazy after the heater ran for a while plus the HVAC not remembering the fan settings if turned OFF and the car was cut off for a few hours).

Will be curious if it is the same thing again. Out of curiosity did you get an On-Star warning last time? And how did you get it, in the center display or an email?
Correct. I got it via email. About 15 minutes after check engine light came on.

It looks like this

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:27 AM
CMF Rookie Member

My 9speed had some solenoid kit and valve body replaced also. When mine failed the 2nd time I took it in and they did a software update. Apparently the transmission has two "overdrive" gears and gets hot and overheats some solenoid. It disables the larger until it cools back down. They did this months ago and no problem since.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:58 PM
CMF Rookie Member

I am having the same issue with my 2018 Malibu. It will not accelerate and feels as if your starting from 3rd gear and it’s becoming dangerous when you are driving on a busy highway. My buddy has one too and it’s doing the same thing. Any suggestions
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Re: 9-speed transmission Issue again

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I am having the same issue with my 2018 Malibu. It will not accelerate and feels as if your starting from 3rd gear and it’s becoming dangerous when you are driving on a busy highway. My buddy has one too and it’s doing the same thing. Any suggestions
Before this thread goes all me-too and gets confusing, can you clarify what engine or trim you have? The issue amir_gh22 has had or may have is very specific to the 9-speed. There is another ball of ewww on the 2018 LS/LT 1.5T/6-speed if you happen to have one of those with a different fix. I can help direct you on that if that is the case or... if you also have a 2018 Premier I'll shut the heck up!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2016 Crosstrek Premium 2.0L
2018 F-150 XLT 5.0L
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
CMF Senior Member

Garage
Re: 9-speed transmission Issue again

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBolster View Post
My 9speed had some solenoid kit and valve body replaced also. When mine failed the 2nd time I took it in and they did a software update. Apparently the transmission has two "overdrive" gears and gets hot and overheats some solenoid. It disables the larger until it cools back down. They did this months ago and no problem since.
Interesting. Thanks so much. I wonder if they replace them again. hahahaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in