Check Engine Code P1101 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Check Engine Code P1101

Recently I started randomly getting this code when my check engine light comes on. It's P1101: Intake Air Flow System Performance.

It comes and goes without me doing anything to it. It started maybe couple days after I changed out the engine air filter. I dont know if it's placed incorrectly or if it's because its missing a screw I dropped. But the way the car handles/feels when I drive doesn't change.

Has anyone else had this code come up? Was it an easy fix or did you have to take it in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Re: Check Engine Code P1101

Well... the simplest explanation is usually the right one and it sounds like something isn't put back right since you changed the air filter. Open up the air intake and make sure the filter and everything is seated properly and then make sure the air box is closed up tight.

Can you take a picture of the spot where you lost the screw?
ClothSeats likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 Chevy SS Sedan
6.2L LS3 V8/6-Speed Manual
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Here is the picture of the screw that's missing. Can I get a replacement screw from like Autozone or something?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190611_164329_1560296649305.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	63427  

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Hmm. I find it really hard to believe that's the cause of your problem, or any issue at all to have missing. In any case, I'm sure you can take one of the remaining screws into any hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot and they can find you a suitable replacement.

Did everything seem fine and fit snug inside the air filter box?
DrivenDaily likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 Chevy SS Sedan
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Garage

I agree. So long as the filter is inserted correctly and the top is lined up and sealed, a single screw would be enough to keep it shut tight enough to prevent any issues.

What you might want to look at, like cp suggests, is whether the filter is installed right. My Gen7 has a little tab sticking off of one side to ensure that it can be inserted only one way. If yours is supposed to have a tab but doesn't, you may have removed it for inspection and/or cleaning and put it back upside-down. If so, any left over debris could be sucked into the MAF or even the engine. If the MAF has been damaged by debris or is being blocked, it might be as simple as removing the debris, or as expensive as replacing the MAF. Fair warning, though: Don't touch the MAF sensor's wire!!! That could break it or cause issues that require it to be replaced. If you intend to clean it, use ONLY a cleaner specifically made for MAF sensors. That ain't no urban legend or myth!

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:34 AM
CMF Junior Member

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...-cheryl-knight

I disagree with the previous posts. I do think that screw can disrupt the seal on the airbox enough to trigger this code, especially if its intermittent. I would also fully inspect the wiring for the MAF sensor (square box with wires) and pickup some MAF cleaner which is available as an aerosol at most automotive stores. As mentioned, DO NOT touch the wire as you will ruin the sensor. Once that is done, be sure the airfilter is fully seated in the bottom enclosure then reinstall the airbox cover correctly with the two tabs at the front of the airbox fully engaged in their slots and tighten all the screws to ensure a completely sealed airbox. If that doesn't fix the issue, I would start looking at replacing the MAF sensor itself.

Last edited by Superpro56; Yesterday at 05:36 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM
CMF Junior Member

Do you have access to a scan tool that can read live data?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

There's an easy way to test whether the missing screw is the problem, as well as identify any air leak in general.

Turn on the car and have someone hold the engine at 2500-3000 rpm from the driver's seat. Examine the air intake box and feel with your hand to see if air is being sucked in around the missing screw hole (as well as the hole itself). If not, check if there's air being sucked in anywhere else that looks like it should be sealed. Let us know if you find anything.
campb292 likes this.

2017 Chevy SS Sedan
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

I'm gonna give all these a try this weekend and report back. It's been a couple days since the light has came on but doesnt mean it's fixed.

I have a scan tool and I think it does do live reading but I don't know how to read that info.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM
CMF Junior Member

Well I’ve done quite a few Malibu’s at my work with this code. Figure out if you can read live data and look for a data pid that says throttle body airflow compensation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in