Shift into park - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 201 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

My message board tells me to shift into park, after I have and turned the vehicle off. I then have to turn the lights off manually. When I exit my car with my key fob with me, it beeps 3 times and the dash lights remain on. Anyone know what could be the issue? I am calling my local dealership once it opens this morning.

EDIT by campb292 - Sometimes the actual fix for this "shift to park" issue gets buried as the thread grows but just in case someone is looking, see bulletin 18-NA-297. You can view the full bulletin text and actual cause and resolution here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...54985-9999.pdf

This possible issue affects all 2016-2018 trims - L/LS/LT/Hybrid/Premier. This bulletin can be performed by any dealer and will be free of charge under warranty. The cost seems to be about $700 if you are out of warranty and want the dealer to do the work. Some have recently haggled the price down. You may want to take a picture of the error message and share the bulletin number since the issue is intermittent. There is a new fix shown in post #185 by user Ed Grimm that you might also try (at your own risk).
ericke46 likes this.

Last edited by campb292; 06-03-2019 at 11:22 AM. Reason: New *working* link to bulletin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 201 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Re: Shift into park

EDIT - Sometimes the actual fix for this "shift to park" issue gets buried as the thread grows but just in case someone is looking, see bulletin 18-NA-297. You can view the full bulletin text and actual cause and resolution here: http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=207006

This bulletin can be performed by any dealer and will be free of charge under warranty. The cost seems to be about $700 if you are out of warranty and want the dealer to do the work. You may want to take a picture of the error message and share the bulletin number since the issue is intermittent.

Last edited by campb292; 02-08-2019 at 03:20 PM.
post #3 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 05:10 AM
CMF Rookie Member

This looks like an ongoing issue and dealers are reluctant to fix. My Chevy Malibu 2014 2lz does the same and its so annoying. I took it to the dealer, the dealer says the technician did not find any error code and it did not happen when the technician wanted to see. The time I gave the car to the dealer with the problem on it even noticed by the service person. It does at least 90 percent of time and I am scared to get out of the car. It looks like the dealer is lingering to have me out of warranty period expired.

post #4 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 05:36 PM
Chevy Representatives

Hi Bharat,

We’re sorry to hear you’re experiencing this concern with your Malibu, and understand how worrisome this must be. We assure you that your safety is of the utmost importance to us. If you would like for us to look into this further, and reach out to your dealership regarding further clarification, please let us know in a private message! Be sure to include your VIN, current mileage, contact information, and dealers name.

To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

Bret B.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Available Monday-Sunday

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 201 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 05:41 AM
CMF Rookie Member

My 2016 is doing this also. It started last week. I am calling my dealer in the morning hopefully they will find out the problem --- Will keep you posted!
post #6 of 201 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 12:02 PM
CMF Senior Member

It is comforting to know Chevy customer service is monitoring this website to help solve unresolved issues. They have helped me in the past.
SButton likes this.
post #7 of 201 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 03:50 AM
CMF Veteran Member

are you not in Park before you turn your car off???...maybe I'm misunderstanding the OP but...you should be in Park before you turn your car off...

Bill
DevsMalibu likes this.
post #8 of 201 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 07:41 PM
CMF Rookie Member

Garage

It's also happening to me, after parking and turning off the engine, same message, keeps lights and radio on, have to turn on and off the engine until it detecs the parking position

Enviado desde mi Lenovo YT3-X90F mediante Tapatalk
DevsMalibu and SButton like this.
post #9 of 201 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 11:51 AM
CMF Junior Member

Just started happening to me also. 2016 LT. Indicator on dash shows in P but error message after you turn off ignition says "shift into park" If you get out the radio and lights stay on. Sometime can get to stop by restarting and shifting through gears. Seems to be getting worse daily.
DevsMalibu likes this.
post #10 of 201 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 04:40 AM
CMF Rookie Member

Well I took my car to the Dealer and if course during the time they had my car it didn't happen. But they did so a recall while they had my car! ? Of course 2 days later it happened again I had to let it run while I ran in a store because I just couldn't get it to turn off. I did manage to get it to turn off after shifting to park letting it idle and then turning off. I did take a video of it but th e dealer said they couldn't find what was wrong if it didn't do it while they had my car. I'm really afraid one time it's not going to turn off at work or some where that I can't let it run for a little bit.
DevsMalibu likes this.

Last edited by jamie58; 07-22-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in