Adaptive Cruise Control Disengaging - Page 3 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:13 PM
CMF Rookie Member

Garage
Re: Adaptive Cruise Control Disengaging

I am having the same issue in my 2018 Premier with 26,000 miles. I purchased the car almost 2 months ago and after about a week the cruise would intermittently not work. Sometimes it would say "Adaptive Cruise Control Unavailable" and other times it would work for about 3 seconds then say "Adaptive Cruise Disengaging". Sometimes you could wait a minute and turn it back on. Other times it wouldn't work the rest of the trip. I feel it is not weather related, as the cruise has worked on rainy clouded crappy days, but hasn't worked on clear days when the car is clean. Car is kept in the garage and weather has not been over 80 degrees, so I know it is not any sensor getting too hot.

I can't seem to find any similarities to why this is re-occurring... it is totally random. One day it works, next day it doesn't. Originally I took the car in to have them look at it but the dealer could not repeat the issue and the cruise worked every time they tried it. However, last week the cruise did not work for a couple days so I took it in and now they are working on it. Now they have had it for 4 business days and still cannot figure it out. The last I spoke with them they said there may be some kind of low voltage issue. They thought they found a ground wire that was loose so they tightened that up, but the cruise still did not work when they test drove it.

I would concur with the comment above and saying it seems like nobody has a clue as to why this is occurring. It seems like my dealer and GM are lost.

So at the moment I'm still waiting to hear back from the dealer and driving a loaner Chevy Trax. Can't wait to get the Malibu back. This is frustrating to say the least!

Edit: I forgot to mention they have already replaced the long range sensor and some kind of cruise control module. Both did not fix the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:10 PM
CMF Rookie Member

I have had my 2017 Premier in for Adaptive Cruise Control Unavailable a few times. They replaced some parts and it fixed it for a few weeks. It returned and they replaced a sensor and two modules. It worked for a couple months then came back. My bumper to bumper ran out and now they want $150 just to look at it. Not worth temp fixing, just lazy tech I'll make do without. If you pull the negative it works for a couple start cycles. Good to know for a trade in.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:08 AM
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBolster View Post
I have had my 2017 Premier in for Adaptive Cruise Control Unavailable a few times. They replaced some parts and it fixed it for a few weeks. It returned and they replaced a sensor and two modules. It worked for a couple months then came back. My bumper to bumper ran out and now they want $150 just to look at it. Not worth temp fixing, just lazy tech I'll make do without. If you pull the negative it works for a couple start cycles. Good to know for a trade in.
If the problem started and was worked on under warranty, they need to fix it even though the B2B warranty is expired. They’re probably saying the $150 to look at it in case it’s not working due to other circumstances so I’d get that clarified; if you’re sure it’s the same issues and nothing you’ve done could affect that (aftermarket grill, accident, weird license plate, etc.) they need to fix it.

Last edited by miweber929; 04-25-2019 at 06:22 PM.

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:48 AM
CMF Rookie Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBolster View Post

Well that's reassuring... lol. From what I have found nothing seems to fix it. Or it only fixes it temporarily. This is going to be interesting what the dealer finds out when they are done with it.

As a side note, the dealer I bring my vehicles to has been the best one I've used and has fixed previous issues in previous vehicles that other dealers could not fix. I have confidence in them! ...but I'm scratching my head about GM.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 07:22 AM
CMF Rookie Member

Garage

I got my car back this morning! All seems to be working! They said my problem was a faulty ground. The dealer knew they fixed the faulty ground the 1st day it came to the shop, but when they fixed that there still needed to be a bunch of re-calibrations done. This was after the dealer speaking with GM engineering multiple times and multiple days. The dealer is leaving my ticket open this weekend. They want to make sure I have no issues over the next couple days and then we can close it out. All will be covered by warranty of course, which is good because I imagine this is not a cheap fix with all the time they put into it.

All-in-all I was without my car for a week. All seems to be back to working order, so that is the main thing! Hope it continues to work. If not, back to the dealer...

I will update this thread once they close out the ticket and I get the paperwork. Then I can let you guys know official dealer comments.

A side note: It seems like my instrument cluster has more options in the helper screen now. When scrolling through the information tab I now have coolant temperature, oil pressure, and battery voltage. Kind of cool!
DrivenDaily and campb292 like this.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 04:57 AM
CMF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Kaiser View Post

A side note: It seems like my instrument cluster has more options in the helper screen now. When scrolling through the information tab I now have coolant temperature, oil pressure, and battery voltage. Kind of cool!
I just realized too that coolant temp, oil pressure and battery voltage were available info pages but just not "selected on" after driving a rental that had them selected!
I hope your car is fixed now!

2018 Malibu Premier 2.0T
2009 Malibu LT 2.4
2013 Tahoe LTZ 5.3
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:55 PM
CMF Rookie Member

Garage

Forgot to update this after I got my paperwork from the dealer. Here was the official summary:

"The adaptive cruise control message is on and the cruise control is inop. Pulled codes U0420 and B1325. Originally thought the Active Safety Module faulty. Installed a new module but still had no communication. Traced the wiring and found a loose ground at G108. Repaired the ground and tried multiple times to calibrate the Long Range Radar Module. Replaced the LRRM per TAC's instructions. Still wouldn't calibrate. Eventually reinstalled the original ASCM and was able to calibrate the LRRM."

Glad to report all has been working well with no issues. The dealer had a heck of a time with this but I am glad they got it figured out and glad it was under warranty. This would have been around a thousand dollar fix.

Hope this helps anyone that may have a similar issue.

Also, it was pretty cool figuring out the dash display had different options in the "info" screen. Just a checklist of different things you can scroll through in the dash. I also learned about the speed limit sign and how you can toggle that on and off as well when it is showing your mph. Neat stuff! haha
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 02:38 AM
CMF Junior Member

Great to see a follow up!

2018 Malibu Premier 2.0T
2009 Malibu LT 2.4
2013 Tahoe LTZ 5.3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in