Oil Change Question - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Colt Hero
  • 1 Post By GarBec

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Oil Change Question

Has anyone tried changing the oil by extraction? In the past I have used a vacuum oil extractor with good results on my other cars. I was able to feed the extractor tube into the dipstick port of the MH and with a little jockeying it came to a hard stop, which I assume to be the bottom of the oil pan. Assuming the bottom of the pan is flat, and it appears to be, one should be able to reasonably empty the oil pan by this technique.

I did try changing the oil the conventional way but I was unable to break the oil nut free with a 15mm socket. I typically find when the dealership does the oil change, as they did at my last visit, they over torque the oil nut. Because the MH has very little clearance under the car I am not able to get a good enough grip on the socket handle to really crank down on it to break it free.

I am aware that extraction methods do leave a little oil behind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 02:50 PM
CMF Junior Member

Re: Oil Change Question

I wouldn’t - unless you’re physically unable to get underneath the vehicle.

Just tap the ratchet handle with a hammer. It doesn’t take much at all. Not need to struggle, and it only takes a single tap. But when you tighten it back, do *that* by hand - don’t use the hammer there!

Oh - and use a SIX POINT SOCKET! Throw those 12-point sockets away before you strip your next bolt head...
DrivenDaily and Chevyman4life like this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 03:11 PM
CMF Senior Member

Garage

I'm not a believer in the extraction method, as not only do you never know if the pick up is in the bottom of the pan; you lose the ability to flush the pan by the force of the rapidly draining oil carrying away the suspended contaminants.

I like to let mine drain for about a half hour, until it no longer drips. This assures there is nothing left in the pan prior to refilling.

To remove a drain plug that has been over tightened; use a six point socket with a longer breaker bar. If necessary go to a bigger drive size tool such as a 1/2 drive vs a 3/8 drive tool. If you don't have a longer handled ratchet or breaker bar, a length of pipe placed over the handle to increase leverage may work.

The six point socket will prevent rounding the hex head of the drain plug.

A pair of ramps make access quite easy.

DrivenDaily likes this.

2019 Equinox 2.0 LT Redline- Silver - FWD
2017 Malibu 1.5 LT - Pepperdust - Leather - Convenience
2016 Equinox 3.6 LTZ - AWD
2009 Silverado 5.3 LT 4x4 ext. cab

Last edited by GarBec; 02-17-2019 at 03:34 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 06:18 AM
CMF Senior Member

I too was planning to use my extraction pump to remove the oil on the 1.5L motor in my 2017 Malibu, but had already heard that there was not enough clearance to get the suction tube inside the dip stick tube. I tried it myself last week so I would know first hand whether or not it would work. My results were pretty much like yours. I was able to get the suction tube inserted quite a ways when I felt a firm stop and was unable to go further. At that point I didn't know if I hit the bottom of the pan or not, so I pulled the suction tube out, and there was no oil on it, so I must have hit a baffle or something and could not get to the bottom of the oil pan. So my plan now is to just drain the oil the conventional way.

By the way, If I was able to get down into the oil, I wouldn't have any reluctance with draining the oil by evacuation, because I discharge the oil into an old oil container, and would know that if I got 4.2 quarts out, I would have gotten all of it. I've used the evacuation method many times in the past and actually prefer it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

When I inserted the extraction tube in the dipstick port I had to jockey it around by rotating it and then it would go in further. In the end there was about 1 3/4 inches of oil on the tip of the tube. So it probably made it to the bottom. My thought was to do the same thing, measure the amount of oil extracted. In the end I just took it downtown and let the local service station do it being that it is cold here I would still have to crawl under the car to get at the oil filter.

I do feel the extraction method is quick and efficient if you do it right by extracting the oil when it is hot and impurities are not settled out.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:39 PM
CMF Junior Member

It didn't work for me. I could only extract about two quarts. I was using a Pella Oil Extractor, BTW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in