Help with Amp install on 2018 Malibu LT - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Help with Amp install on 2018 Malibu LT

So like the title says I have a 2018 Malibu LT
And I have no idea how to go about wiring a LOC to install an aftermarket amp for two subs I want to install in the trunk
Iíve read a few different ways and Iíve installed one on a 08í Altima before but seeing as there are no rear deck speakers Iím kind of lost any help would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 03:59 AM
Administrator

Garage
Re: Help with Amp install on 2018 Malibu LT

No rear deck speakers??? Is there any car out there that doesn't come with at least 4 speakers these days???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 05:37 AM
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
No rear deck speakers??? Is there any car out there that doesn't come with at least 4 speakers these days???
They are in the rear doors nowadays.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
@miweber929 is right on; almost all have speakers in the doors now while some add more in the pkg tray and that strange center speaker on the dash. Many modern cars are actually setting up sound to focus from the front. I have the base 6 speakers in mine and the sound in the front really isn't that bad, just adequate. If you isolate the rear door speakers the sound is unbelievably bad. Probably worse than taping a phone to each door. At first I thought maybe the rear door speakers just drove bass but they don't. It is really just mutant sound. I thought it was a problem but they all sound that bad.

The good news is everything you need for your work is in the right side of the trunk behind the liner and even the base models have the cutouts to mount modest speakers in the rear.

2016 Malibu 1LT
1.5T, 6T40, 2 wipers, 4 wheels, 8 cupholders, 16 valves, 32 thingamabobbers
Born 1/20/2016 in Fairfax, KS, Purchased 3/6/2016

RIP Chevrolet Cruze
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Garage

That makes sense. The speakers are no longer in the package tray (rear deck) but moved to the doors.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 06:52 AM
CMF Junior Member

Garage

https://www.chevymalibuforum.com/foru...kers-amps.html

Check out my post for some information on the wiring colors and what not.

I recommend pulling the signal before the amplifier so that you get a full signal and not one "tuned to the factory speakers".

And be aware by adding anything aftermarket you can potentially mess with the Active Noise Canceling of the car, which sounds weird as all hell when i happens.

Why are you reading this?!!!!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 10:33 AM
CMF Rookie Member

How do I disable the active noise cancellation in my 2018 chevy malibu? I have encountered this problem when I installed my sub and amp correctly and it sounds terrible because of the active noise cancellation.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 01:48 AM
CMF Rookie Member

Its been a while since ur post, but thought i would answer anyways. I have a 18 Redline Edition and just installed an amp and two 12 inch subs and installed a loc. It sounded great for a couple days but then the noise started in my subs. After a little research i found people wanting to just cut wires. Dont know bout yours but mine has about 1500 miles on it im not cuttin any wires, lol. So i finally found that if u just unplug the top plug on ur factory amp it should go away. Mine has been unplugged a week and all is fine.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 10:49 AM
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
Its been a while since ur post, but thought i would answer anyways. I have a 18 Redline Edition and just installed an amp and two 12 inch subs and installed a loc. It sounded great for a couple days but then the noise started in my subs. After a little research i found people wanting to just cut wires. Dont know bout yours but mine has about 1500 miles on it im not cuttin any wires, lol. So i finally found that if u just unplug the top plug on ur factory amp it should go away. Mine has been unplugged a week and all is fine.
I also have a Redline and I want to install an amp and subs. Can you tell me the steps you took? Would make things easier if someone that has already done it gave me some tips
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 11:47 PM
CMF Rookie Member

Yeah sure i will help any way i can. The way i ran my power wire was up the passenger side and tucked it in the door sills. Theres a grommet under the dash behind the glove box i ran through. Then to hide it in the engine bay theres protective carpet on the firewall u can tuck it behind. I hooked up to the battery. Now in the back my power went under the back seat cushion and beside the side airbag, and into the trunk. We are pretty lucky here because everything else we need is right there behind the panel on the passenger side. Pull that panel and ur factory amp is bolted right there. Theres also a nice little cubby there for an amp and a loc, (line output converter). There are 3 plugs in ur factory amp one is for power input which is where i got my remote power for my aftermarket amp. The center plug is ur speaker input, this is where u wire in ur loc. If u have ever installed a system before it just doesn't get any easier than this Malibu. Oh one more thing i had to do and it didnt start for a few days and that is active noise cancellation, ive seen a few people just cut the wire which is purple i beleive, myself i just unplugged it and its been a couple weeks and those kicker 15s are still poundin loud and clear. I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190221-161332_1552117573903.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	62747  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in