2018 LED Headlight Questions - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Question 2018 LED Headlight Questions

Hello all,

New member, first post, first questions. Just recently bought a new 2018 Malibu Premier and love everything about the car so far - except, yep, those horrible headlights. My last 3 cars have either all been converted to HID or in the case of my last car, had factory HID.

With that said, it seems the selection of HID kits (at least the ones you can order through Amazon) is getting smaller with the upswing popularity of the LED conversion kits. I have searched the forum and have read the other LED posts but some of those date back to beginning to middle of last year. If possible, can I get some feedback on the LED kits that are available now from members who have them installed because it seems like these companies are constantly coming out with new versions and those aforementioned 2017 posts may or may not be outdated at this point.

Basically, I am looking for a LED kit that plays nice with our projectors, doesn't set off any warning lights, and hopefully no flickering. I have seen in the other posts the SNGL seems to be a good way to go, but I am not sure I am ready to set down $200 for those without any feedback of their actual lifespan. Maybe someone can suggest a 2018 lamp that is more cost friendly to a first-time LED headlight buyer and strikes the middle ground between brightness, beam pattern, reliability, and cost. Also, the dust cap must be able to close so these would need to be okay operating in the enclosed housing. I have seen some of the LED kits state to not reinstall dust covers.

Lastly, if that is too many conditions to reasonably satisfy, what is the best Amazon sourced HID kit for 2018? Do I need a canbus system for our cars? Bi-Xenon type 9005? I always get the relay and anti-flicker harness regardless. If I get a HID kit, I'll likely buy a couple extra dust covers for drilling the holes.

Thanks in advance for any and all input!

2018 Summit White Premier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 06:22 AM
CMF Senior Member

Garage
Re: 2018 LED Headlight Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkognitoh View Post
Hello all,

New member, first post, first questions. Just recently bought a new 2018 Malibu Premier and love everything about the car so far - except, yep, those horrible headlights. My last 3 cars have either all been converted to HID or in the case of my last car, had factory HID.

With that said, it seems the selection of HID kits (at least the ones you can order through Amazon) is getting smaller with the upswing popularity of the LED conversion kits. I have searched the forum and have read the other LED posts but some of those date back to beginning to middle of last year. If possible, can I get some feedback on the LED kits that are available now from members who have them installed because it seems like these companies are constantly coming out with new versions and those aforementioned 2017 posts may or may not be outdated at this point.

Basically, I am looking for a LED kit that plays nice with our projectors, doesn't set off any warning lights, and hopefully no flickering. I have seen in the other posts the SNGL seems to be a good way to go, but I am not sure I am ready to set down $200 for those without any feedback of their actual lifespan. Maybe someone can suggest a 2018 lamp that is more cost friendly to a first-time LED headlight buyer and strikes the middle ground between brightness, beam pattern, reliability, and cost. Also, the dust cap must be able to close so these would need to be okay operating in the enclosed housing. I have seen some of the LED kits state to not reinstall dust covers.

Lastly, if that is too many conditions to reasonably satisfy, what is the best Amazon sourced HID kit for 2018? Do I need a canbus system for our cars? Bi-Xenon type 9005? I always get the relay and anti-flicker harness regardless. If I get a HID kit, I'll likely buy a couple extra dust covers for drilling the holes.

Thanks in advance for any and all input!

Welcome to the Forum,

I have posted two very detailed posts about HID and LED headlights.

This is the latest one :https://www.chevymalibuforum.com/for...headlight.html

I have had the older version the bulb for than a year. So the bulb life span is very acceptable. They also have 2 year warranty. I already explained the pros and cons about HID and LED in my other posts. SNGL LED bulbs provides excellent beam pattern in our Malibu projectors. If you want to install HID, you will need both Relay and Canbus.
After market HIDs have shorter life span. They are always a hassle to deal with. Sometimes one bulb doesn't ignite without relay. Your high beam is very dim if you wanna use it to signal people because HIDs take more than 10 seconds to reach maximum brightness. I understand you are concerned about the cost, but the cheaper LEDs will not be the same as the expensive ones like SNGL. $40 HID kit are not simply the best options in terms of life span and brightness. SNGL Projector specific works very well in our malibues. They are very easy to install especially for Primers ( no anti flicker needed). You simply install them and close the dust caps. No need to drill holes on dust covers.

Last edited by amir_gh22; 12-12-2018 at 06:26 AM.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amir_gh22 View Post
Welcome to the Forum,

I have posted two very detailed posts about HID and LED headlights.

I have had the older version the bulb for than a year. So the bulb life span is very acceptable. They also have 2 year warranty. I already explained the pros and cons about HID and LED in my other posts. SNGL LED bulbs provides excellent beam pattern in our Malibu projectors. If you want to install HID, you will need both Relay and Canbus.
After market HIDs have shorter life span. They are always a hassle to deal with. Sometimes one bulb doesn't ignite without relay. Your high beam is very dim if you wanna use it to signal people because HIDs take more than 10 seconds to reach maximum brightness. I understand you are concerned about the cost, but the cheaper LEDs will not be the same as the expensive ones like SNGL. $40 HID kit are not simply the best options in terms of life span and brightness. SNGL Projector specific works very well in our malibues. They are very easy to install especially for Primers ( no anti flicker needed). You simply install them and close the dust caps. No need to drill holes on dust covers.
Thank you amir_gh22!

I appreciate the additional information. Your posts were the ones I had already read, perhaps it was a bit of information overload (lol) and I overlooked where you had stated the life span of those. Yeah I have no issues paying the money for dependable performance from a set of bulbs. My comment in my original post was meant more along the lines of I didn't want to drop that amount of money for a bulb known to not last more than several months, etc. I will definitely look into these.

One more question, do they need to be re-clocked out of the package for our projectors?

Thanks again!

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 07:48 AM
CMF Rookie Member

Newbie here also. I recently installed the SNGL projector specific 9005 LEDs with the antiflicker harness supplied by the vendor, but I'm still experiencing dimming/flickering when the car wakes up from autostop. Other than that, no flickering or issues. I have the 2018 LS 1.5L turbo engine. Are there any quick and easy fixes for this?
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 07:57 AM
CMF Senior Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkognitoh View Post
Thank you amir_gh22!

I appreciate the additional information. Your posts were the ones I had already read, perhaps it was a bit of information overload (lol) and I overlooked where you had stated the life span of those. Yeah I have no issues paying the money for dependable performance from a set of bulbs. My comment in my original post was meant more along the lines of I didn't want to drop that amount of money for a bulb known to not last more than several months, etc. I will definitely look into these.

One more question, do they need to be re-clocked out of the package for our projectors?

Thanks again!
Sure. No need to be re-clocked. They are already clocked out of the box. In my personal opinion, once the bulb lasts more than a year, it already passed the life span test. Since your putting everything inside the dust cover, they are sealed from dust and moisture. LEDs run cooler than halogens.I have tested them with laser temperature gun. Like others said, if they fail before two years, they send you new bulbs.
I am using the new projector specific 9005 on my 2017 Malibu Premier and 2018 Toyota Rav 4. Very bright and wide beam pattern.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by amir_gh22; 12-12-2018 at 08:02 AM.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 08:00 AM
CMF Senior Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalBu View Post
Newbie here also. I recently installed the SNGL projector specific 9005 LEDs with the antiflicker harness supplied by the vendor, but I'm still experiencing dimming/flickering when the car wakes up from autostop. Other than that, no flickering or issues. I have the 2018 LS 1.5L turbo engine. Are there any quick and easy fixes for this?
Im not sure because my car doesn't have auto start stop, but I know other members fixed it by using anti filciker harness. Just message them and see what they say. Maybe a defective anti flicker harness?

Last edited by amir_gh22; 12-12-2018 at 08:41 AM.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 08:25 AM
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amir_gh22 View Post
Im not sure because my car doesn't have auto start stop, but I know other members fixed it by using anti filciker harness. Just message them and see what they say. Maybe a defected anti flicker harness?

Okay, I'll give that a shot. Hopefully it's just a defective harness. Thanks for the info!
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Ok, I went ahead and purchased the Odereo LED kit (the SNGL were showing temporarily out of stock) and I figured it would be a good starting point to get the feel of LED’s.

The good: Light output is way above the crappy halogens, I have zero buzzing or humming that others have mentioned, so far no issues with flickering, and to my eye, the color temp is a perfect match to the DRL strips.

The hmmmmm: While they are bright, they are providing a funky beam pattern. Basically, and I have attached photos, the hotspots seem very close to the front of the car (like the headlamps may need to be adjusted upward slightly, and the hotspots of the two beams never converge, reminds me of holding a mag light flashlight in each hand and pointing them outward. Between the two “runways” of light is a shadow, also on the outter sides.

I haven’t checked yet if these bulbs can be clocked, but since the hot spots are slowly trying to converge but not make it, wondering if aiming the lights slightly upward will improve that. On the other hand, it seems like the highs are already trying to signal in low flying aircraft.

Opinions please.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7EE95A04-F509-4716-990B-FA5016ABEC3A_1545012192185.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	62227   Click image for larger version

Name:	3FAEE68F-FA6F-488C-AD88-2D7CDEF4F81D_1545012250248.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	62229   Click image for larger version

Name:	1E43A54F-58C0-4F65-A6B9-70FCB54F6550_1545012290063.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	62231   Click image for larger version

Name:	AA0EBCD2-1B6A-4F60-9F5E-42AE4BF907E3_1545012316206.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	62233  

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 08:20 AM
CMF Junior Member

I also have the odero bulbs my only issue is the flicker when the auto stop is activated. Had the bulbs for 6 mo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Lz, does your beam pattern look like mine? Trying to figure out if this is normal for this particular Odero bulb or if an adjustment is needed.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in