Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paddle shifters for 1.5L Turbo LT vs Premier

8K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Joeyavhu 
#1 ·
I was thinking about how to modify a 1LT that I ordered an add paddle shifters. Since you can manually attempt to shift gears on the shift knob it is possible to use paddle shifters as alternative inputs.

I don't have my Malibu yet but I am wondering if the 1LTs have a provision for paddle shifters on the steering wheel so we can add them.

Also I am wondering if the Premier guys like using the paddle shifters as well. Input is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
The Malibu's did away with paddle shifters in 2013 when they went to the new body style mid-2013. Since then, it has only been a "+" and "-" input on the center console shifter.

Additionally, in 2016, they went from the user controlled gear shift (which would let you force upshift and choose the gear you want) to a "gear limit" system, which essentially only lets you choose the max gear the car will go into... for example, if your doing 20 and shift it to 5th, the car is still going to stay in 3rd (but it will have access all the way until 5th)

If you sat in a Premier and felt buttons on the back of the steering wheel, those are for audio, they switch the favorites and volume.

As far as adding actual paddles like you are talking about, it would be very in-depth. You would need to retrofit the paddles, then you would have to create and install momentary relays, then you would have to take the live wire from that relay and use it to replace the wire that will be coming off the center console shift buttons. It would be tough.

#3 ·
The Malibu actually dropped paddle shifters in 2011, and utilized a rocker button on the side of the shifter. Really kills the fun, IMO. There's no involvement in thumbing a vague button on the side of the shifter. With paddles, your hands remain on the wheel in the optimum position and the paddles offer decisive feel/response, with a proper shift-gate, there's the simulation of a stick shift which is cool.

The gen 8 and gen 9 manual button is even worse, with the shifter all the way back the button is very awkward to use. I was unaware the gen 9 was merely a range-select mode. At this point, why bother at all.

It's funny because the gen 7 was one of the first mainstream cars with paddle shifters in the volume selling trim levels. Now paddle shifters and/or sport modes are available in almost every other midsize car (including ones with CVT transmissions, for god's sake!), and the Malibu is the oddball out. No fun!

#4 ·
I loved the paddle shifters on my 08... It made it feel so sporty!

#6 ·
I think the only difference they have with the transmission in the '17 is the new 9-speed over the 8-speed that is in the '16's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.