New Malibu questions - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

New Malibu questions

So my wife wants a newer Malibu and I’ve read a few things about some of the newer engines. Our current Malibu is a 2011 with the 2.4. It’s been a good car but has had a few issues. Timing chain and gears and power steering issue were the biggest issues. We are looking to buy from probably a 15-18 Malibu. Anything to stay away from? Years? Engines? Anything? I’ve read they’ve had issues with the 1.5L so was wanting a 2.0. Any feedback would be great. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 11:03 AM
CMF Rookie Member

Re: New Malibu questions

Hi, my wife has 2017 Malibu. powered by a 1.5 Litre Turbo engine. super good on gas. She is very happy. On highway only 56 miles/gallon. Only one thing is annoying Automatic engine Stop system. At every intersection on STOP sign engine stops. You can avoid it by not pressing a brake pedal too hard. I have 2013 Malibu with 2.4 Litre engine. Average is 30 miles/gallon.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Garage
Cool Re: New Malibu questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantas View Post
Hi, my wife has 2017 Malibu. powered by a 1.5 Litre Turbo engine. super good on gas. She is very happy. On highway only 56 miles/gallon. Only one thing is annoying Automatic engine Stop system. At every intersection on STOP sign engine stops. You can avoid it by not pressing a brake pedal too hard. I have 2013 Malibu with 2.4 Litre engine. Average is 30 miles/gallon.
Have your wife put it in "L", "shift" it to the highest gear, and then drive normally. No more Auto Start/Stop!
Chevyman4life likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Garage
Cool Re: New Malibu questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pak713 View Post
So my wife wants a newer Malibu and Iíve read a few things about some of the newer engines. Our current Malibu is a 2011 with the 2.4. Itís been a good car but has had a few issues. Timing chain and gears and power steering issue were the biggest issues. We are looking to buy from probably a 15-18 Malibu. Anything to stay away from? Years? Engines? Anything? Iíve read theyíve had issues with the 1.5L so was wanting a 2.0. Any feedback would be great. Thank you
I've read a lot of good suggestions about the Malibu Hybrid. No turbo, great mileage, other special features as well...

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I think @Mantas' 56mpg highway is some typo, confusion, or translation error. The 1.5 can get a "best" in that area, even higher, but it is rare and not where any average will settle. Averages on the 1.5 for mixed highway/city tend to be 30-35. I average 33.

To the OP - If your consideration is for 15-18 model years I assume you mean used. I would look closely at the 2016 Malibu Limited (gen8 w/2.5L engine). You may find some great deals w/low mileage and you might prefer the non-turbo engine. In gen9 (2016-2019) I really like the Hybrid but finding one used is difficult. As for the 1.5 and 2.0, you need to drive each. Both get good gas mileage - the 1.5 averages just about 5 mpg higher based on owner and EPA estimates. For that 5mpg you also lose 2-3 gears and 25% hp/torque and gain the sometimes loathed Auto Stop.

If I was in the market for a used Malibu I would see what deals I can get on the soon to be discontinued Impala. I would then see if a Hybrid was within 200 miles with less than 25k. Then look closely at the 2016 Malibu Limited and 2016 Malibu 2.0T w/8-speed and compare. If I settled on that 2016 2.0T I would ask for service history and see if the 3rd brake light and shifter had been fixed. If not, I would want them fixed under warranty prior to sale.

Good luck with your purchase!
DrivenDaily and Chevyman4life like this.

2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2016 Crosstrek Premium 2.0L
2018 F-150 XLT 5.0L
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 07:48 PM
CMF Senior Member

I have the 2L turbo/ 9 speed (2017 Premier). While the mpg's aren't as good as the 1.5L they're not shabby. I routinely get 24mpg in the city, 35-36 mpg freeway (not computer measured, it's my measurements via the trip odometer and the gas station pump readings). The owner's manual does recommend running premium, so I usually run Shell premium, occasionally in the winter I run 50/50 premium/regular. The 2L is more refined than the 1.5L if that's worth anything to you, it's a quieter engine than the 1.5L, idle is nearly imperceptible and the power under foot is rather fun at times.

It really surprises me I get fuel economy in this big car that's better than my '05 Mazda 3, both city and freeway. My Malibu so far has easily beaten the EPA numbers.
DrivenDaily and miweber929 like this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 05:42 AM
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmats View Post
I have the 2L turbo/ 9 speed (2017 Premier). While the mpg's aren't as good as the 1.5L they're not shabby. I routinely get 24mpg in the city, 35-36 mpg freeway (not computer measured, it's my measurements via the trip odometer and the gas station pump readings). The owner's manual does recommend running premium, so I usually run Shell premium, occasionally in the winter I run 50/50 premium/regular. The 2L is more refined than the 1.5L if that's worth anything to you, it's a quieter engine than the 1.5L, idle is nearly imperceptible and the power under foot is rather fun at times.

It really surprises me I get fuel economy in this big car that's better than my '05 Mazda 3, both city and freeway. My Malibu so far has easily beaten the EPA numbers.
I have had the same experiences with my Ď16 2LT with the 2.0T and the 8 speed. In driving both varieties, the 2.0 and the 1.5, to me there is no comparison: the 2.0 is a nicer motor hands down. I would not own the car if it had a 1.5 in it.
lightfoot453 likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

I appreciate all the feedback fellas. Yes we are looking at used or certified pre owned. I think we are leaning towards a 16. But we are not dead set on anything yet. She likes the earlier 16 body style better than the newer body 16’s. The 16’s I’ve looked at have the 2.5L. Hopefully the 2.5 doesn’t have the same issues as the earlier 2.4L. Also we are going to be staying around the $16k mark. Has anyone noticed the turbo motors having more blow by than the non turbos. I have heard that a catch can is a must on turbo engines. I have one on my Silverado and it is crazy what’s in the can sometimes. Keep the replies coming. I check the post daily just to see what you all are saying. Thanks again.

Last edited by Pak713; 12-19-2018 at 04:20 PM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 04:40 PM
CMF Rookie Member

@@@ campb292

Ok. I took a photo to improve my wife's Malibu mpg. Now it shows 5.4 L/100 km. If convert to Miles/gallon it should be approx. 52MPG. Now its winter time so it uses more fuel. But in summer time I had 5.0 L/100 km = 56MPG. Its not a hybrid. Just a tiny engine 1.5L with a turbo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	malibu.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	62239  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 04:44 PM
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by campb292 View Post
I think @Mantas' 56mpg highway is some typo, confusion, or translation error. The 1.5 can get a "best" in that area, even higher, but it is rare and not where any average will settle. Averages on the 1.5 for mixed highway/city tend to be 30-35. I average 33.

To the OP - If your consideration is for 15-18 model years I assume you mean used. I would look closely at the 2016 Malibu Limited (gen8 w/2.5L engine). You may find some great deals w/low mileage and you might prefer the non-turbo engine. In gen9 (2016-2019) I really like the Hybrid but finding one used is difficult. As for the 1.5 and 2.0, you need to drive each. Both get good gas mileage - the 1.5 averages just about 5 mpg higher based on owner and EPA estimates. For that 5mpg you also lose 2-3 gears and 25% hp/torque and gain the sometimes loathed Auto Stop.

If I was in the market for a used Malibu I would see what deals I can get on the soon to be discontinued Impala. I would then see if a Hybrid was within 200 miles with less than 25k. Then look closely at the 2016 Malibu Limited and 2016 Malibu 2.0T w/8-speed and compare. If I settled on that 2016 2.0T I would ask for service history and see if the 3rd brake light and shifter had been fixed. If not, I would want them fixed under warranty prior to sale.

Good luck with your purchase!

5.4L/100km = 52MPG.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	malibu.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	62241  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in