2018 Chevy Malibu Question - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

2018 Chevy Malibu Question

Hello everyone,

So I'm planning on getting a new car soon, and the Chevy Malibu LT is probably what I'll end up getting, but I was wondering if you guys had any opinions on this vehicle? I did test drive one and it was pretty smooth compared to my 2012 Ford Focus.

I've been trying to be devils advocate when doing my research on cars and one of my concerns with this car is reports I've read of people having issues with newer malibu's engines just dying and then having difficulty getting it repaired. Can anyone shed light on this?

Also would going with this malibu be a good idea for a semi long term car (at least 5 years)? I like the style of it, and if I do get it I was hoping to get it in black with black bowties for a sleek look. I dont want to get anything too much more expensive though and I'm kinda limited to the dealerships in the town I live in (chevy, ford, kia, then higher end cars and thats it).

Ultimately I guess I need someone to sell me the idea of the car or let me know if I should keep looking.

Thank you!
amir_gh22 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 03:38 AM
Administrator

Garage
Re: 2018 Chevy Malibu Question

Here's a thread of someone looking at a 2017. They should be very similar.

Let us know if you have any questions.
campb292 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:47 PM
CMF Senior Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe77 View Post
Hello everyone,

So I'm planning on getting a new car soon, and the Chevy Malibu LT is probably what I'll end up getting, but I was wondering if you guys had any opinions on this vehicle? I did test drive one and it was pretty smooth compared to my 2012 Ford Focus.

I've been trying to be devils advocate when doing my research on cars and one of my concerns with this car is reports I've read of people having issues with newer malibu's engines just dying and then having difficulty getting it repaired. Can anyone shed light on this?

Also would going with this malibu be a good idea for a semi long term car (at least 5 years)? I like the style of it, and if I do get it I was hoping to get it in black with black bowties for a sleek look. I dont want to get anything too much more expensive though and I'm kinda limited to the dealerships in the town I live in (chevy, ford, kia, then higher end cars and thats it).

Ultimately I guess I need someone to sell me the idea of the car or let me know if I should keep looking.

Thank you!
After having fully loaded 2017 Malibu for two years, I would not buy another Malibu. Not a reliable car.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
campb292 likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:56 PM
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amir_gh22 View Post
After having fully loaded 2017 Malibu for two years, I would not buy another Malibu. Not a reliable car.

Interesting.

After leasing a (not quite fully loaded) 2LT Malibu for 3 years I bought it. So far, itís been a reliable car.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:37 PM
CMF Senior Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by miweber929 View Post
Interesting.

After leasing a (not quite fully loaded) 2LT Malibu for 3 years I bought it. So far, itís been a reliable car.
Im saying this because I have had so much issues. Such as remote key fob, transmission, gas pedal, water leak, and beeping noise while parked

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I am feeling pretty down on Chevy in general. My 16 LT has been at the dealer since last Monday for the 3rd try at the brake booster problems. My dealer has always been great and I don't pay any significant out of pocket expenses but the repairs seem endless. They gave me (what seemed like) a nice 2019 Equinox 2.0T loaner with 2500 miles. Yesterday, it misfired accelerating from a red light. Blinking light, traction and stabilitrak lights on, nerf mode (code attached). Had to get it towed. They kindly gave me a Blazer loaner for the loaner. I sat in the waiting area for 30 min and talked to a couple guys and it is just a downer hearing about the various problems. Totally different quality and reliability compared to my other-branded cars and what I experience in those dealer waiting areas.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190609_183924_1560303646217.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	63429  

2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2016 Crosstrek Premium 2.0L
2018 F-150 XLT 5.0L
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:31 AM
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Im saying this because I have had so much issues. Such as remote key fob, transmission, gas pedal, water leak, and beeping noise while parked

Understood.

But whenever anyone looks at a forum all they see are people bitching about their car and saying his unreliable it is and I want to give a counter point. My car had a bad driver seat base, the rear brake light water leak and the steering assist message. All were handled immediately and not unexpected for a first year fresh design vehicle. Every once in a while I have the parking sensors not beep in the rear (the display works, however) and if I try hard I can make the transmission clunk, the dealer looked at both and couldnít find a fix so I just donít drive like that and watch closer when I back up.

It starts every time, drives great, has good power and gets decent gas mileage, thatís a fairly reliable vehicle in my book. But I didnít expect a perfect machine, nothing is perfect.

Let me ask: what of the above issues were not taken care of under warranty? Did they give you a loaner car while they worked on yours? Has everything been fixed or are they currently working on them? Have you tried other dealers if yours isnít fixing it?

Iím just saying sometimes itís how you look at it.
LazyAssLou likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:06 AM
CMF Senior Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by miweber929 View Post
Understood.

But whenever anyone looks at a forum all they see are people bitching about their car and saying his unreliable it is and I want to give a counter point. My car had a bad driver seat base, the rear brake light water leak and the steering assist message. All were handled immediately and not unexpected for a first year fresh design vehicle. Every once in a while I have the parking sensors not beep in the rear (the display works, however) and if I try hard I can make the transmission clunk, the dealer looked at both and couldn’t find a fix so I just don’t drive like that and watch closer when I back up.

It starts every time, drives great, has good power and gets decent gas mileage, that’s a fairly reliable vehicle in my book. But I didn’t expect a perfect machine, nothing is perfect.

Let me ask: what of the above issues were not taken care of under warranty? Did they give you a loaner car while they worked on yours? Has everything been fixed or are they currently working on them? Have you tried other dealers if yours isn’t fixing it?

I’m just saying sometimes it’s how you look at it.
All of my issues were taken care of under warranty. I did not pay anything. I was provided a loaner for repairs, but I don't feel safe driving the car with my family. I experienced transmission issues twice in the middle of high way. That was very scary. Remember this happened twice. How can I trust it doesn't happen again?

The other day I was running late for a meeting . Started my car, drove two miles, check engine light came on with " engine power reduced" message. It wouldn't accelerate more than 30 MPH at all. Yes I drove to dealer they didn't have rental at the time, so they gave me shuttle to work. I wasted so much time here. I see friends and colleagues with their Honda's and Toyota's no issues at all.

Here is the video of that beeping noise:

Here is the video with key fob receiver issue

Here is the video for water leak

I am not the only one with these issues. Many people reported the same thing here. This is clearly a lack of quality control . I can't say this a well made car and I have evidence of that. I can't wait to return the car next year. Sorry I can't recommend this car to anyone. This is how I think about it.

I really want GM to take this car back. I hate waiting a year to return it.
jtoso likes this.

Last edited by amir_gh22; 06-12-2019 at 07:29 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:30 AM
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
All of my issues were taken care of under warranty. I did not pay anything. I was provided a loaner for repairs, but I don't feel safe driving the car with my family. I experienced transmission issues twice in the middle of high way. That was very scary. Remember this happened twice. How can I trust it doesn't happen again?

The other day I was running late for a meeting . Started my car, drove two miles, check engine light came on with " engine power reduced" message. It wouldn't accelerate more than 30 MPH at all. Yes I drove to dealer they didn't have rental at the time, so they gave me shuttle to work. I wasted so much time here. I see friends and colleagues with their Honda's and Toyota's no issues at all.

Here is the video of that beeping noise:

Here is the video with key fob receiver issue

Here is the video for water leak

I am not the only one of with these issues. Many people reported the same thing here. This is clearly a lack of quality control . I can't say this a well made car and I have evidence of that. I can't wait to return the car next year. Sorry I can't recommend this car to anyone. This is how I think about it.

I really want GM to take this car back. I hate waiting a year to return it.
I'm sorry you had so many problems but glad they have been fixed under warranty. Aim your displeasure correctly, though: it's not a lack of quality control, but poor parts suppliers that are causing your issues. GM fixed them when they knew about them, they did what they could; by no means are they perfect but they did step up.

And don't think that other makes don't have issues, they do. Theres a reason there is a lemon law, it happens to every make and every model.

So you also have couple avenues to get out of the lease.

- visit a dealer of another make, find out what a pay off/trade in would be and go with another car.
- Most dealerships also own other dealerships and could get you into another make.
- contact GM, tell them how you feel, see what they do.
- contact your state and find out what the lemon law is.

Again, I feel bad for you, mine has been great, however.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

All car forums magnify the problems of a particular model 100 times over. That's the nature of the internet. If you have an issue, you're FAR more likely to seek out a platform to voice your frustration than if you're simply a satisfied owner. This includes bad experiences with a service center getting repairs, despite the fact that it depends entirely on the quality of a privately owned dealership, not GM itself.

If you like the Malibu, then buy one. You have 3 years/36,000 miles bumper to bumper warranty and 5 years/60,000 miles for the engine and transmission in case something goes wrong. If the repair threads are too off putting, then check out other midsize car forums and see if they are any better as far as complaint posts.

Good luck with your car shopping! I know how overwhelming it can seem.

2017 Chevy SS Sedan
6.2L LS3 V8/6-Speed Manual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in