Best oil for your car - Page 2 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 04:23 AM
CMF Veteran Member

Garage
Re: Best oil for your car

My 'bu has been running on WM SuperTech full synth. since I've gotten it at 75k, now at 185k, with zero engine component issues so far. Oil changes have been by the OLM also. Trans has been serviced with full synth. Dex VI several times. I found Amalie full synth. Dex VI online cheap by the case and that's what I've been using in my fleet.

John
"some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
09 Malibu LS
11 Tahoe LTZ
16 Equinox LTZ 3.6
01 FLHR
Ski Doo's & Sea Doo
02 Malibu traded
67 Malibu sold
64 Malibu sold
07 Mustang GT 3 pedals sold

Last edited by repairman54; 03-12-2019 at 04:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 07:24 AM
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman15Ida View Post
Alright new question about the Dexron VI. All I can get my hands on is O'Reilleys Brand. Do you think that would be a suitable replacement?
I use full-synthetic Valvoline VI transaxle fluid. Works great. Meets all the GM specs too.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman4life View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman15Ida View Post
Alright new question about the Dexron VI. All I can get my hands on is O'Reilleys Brand. Do you think that would be a suitable replacement?
I use full-synthetic Valvoline VI transaxle fluid. Works great. Meets all the GM specs too.
what about the valvoline max life multi-vehicle Dex/Merc; Merxon LV stuff? Is it any good?

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:27 PM
CMF Rookie Member

For engine oil, I've been using quaker state 5W20 full synthetic ever since I bought the car new. After the first 500 miles, I changed from the synth blend it originally came with. I also moved on to the Fram Ultra oil filter which is reinforced by a metal mesh that prevents the filter media from getting any holes in it. Since the car is one of those stop/start cars, I assumed there would be more pressure pulses in the oil from the start/stop cycling of the engine. The engine uses VVT (variable valve timing) so I certainly won't be changing the oil from anything other than the 5W20 (owner manual says 0W20 also acceptable).

I normally use Mobile1 full synth, but decided to use quaker state 5W20 after reading some of the oil test results at the 540RATBLOG oil database site. It's a bunch of data on oil tests performed by the maintainer of the site. Just google "540ratblog" for the site.
DrivenDaily likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 04:05 AM
Administrator

Garage
Cool Re: Best oil for your car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow View Post
For engine oil, I've been using quaker state 5W20 full synthetic ever since I bought the car new. After the first 500 miles, I changed from the synth blend it originally came with. I also moved on to the Fram Ultra oil filter which is reinforced by a metal mesh that prevents the filter media from getting any holes in it. Since the car is one of those stop/start cars, I assumed there would be more pressure pulses in the oil from the start/stop cycling of the engine. The engine uses VVT (variable valve timing) so I certainly won't be changing the oil from anything other than the 5W20 (owner manual says 0W20 also acceptable).

I normally use Mobile1 full synth, but decided to use quaker state 5W20 after reading some of the oil test results at the 540RATBLOG oil database site. It's a bunch of data on oil tests performed by the maintainer of the site. Just google "540ratblog" for the site.
I started reading that 540 RAT blog and wow!, what an eye-opener! In just 15-20 minutes I learned some really interesting things. I'm glad that I'm using the oil I am as it is rated #3 on his list of over 200.

What I found interesting as well was that what ranked as #1 on his list based on data. He suggests not using it because it depends on using a specific motor oil with a specific amount of additive per quart. He is more inclined to use oil "right out of the bottle" instead of having to mix up a recipe. This effectively raises my choice from #3 to #2, and it just so happens that the oil that surpassed the oil I use is from the same company! I feel reassured that I've chosen the best oil, but I'll continue to read.

Thank you very much!

Here's an excerpt from his blog that I think is good to know, especially based on certain comments made on CMF about the base oil and whether it's Group III, IV, or V:
Quote:
• Group I and II – are conventional mineral oils derived from crude oil.

• Group III – is a highly refined conventional mineral oil made through a process called hydrocracking. This group of oil is allowed to be called a synthetic oil in North America.

• Group IV – are true synthetic oils, known as PAO (Polyalphaolefin).
• Group V – are synthetic base stocks other than PAO’s, which include esters and other compounds.
People on Internet discussions argue endlessly over the merits or lack thereof, of these oil Groups, to try and determine which oil type is best to use. But, they don’t even understand that the base oil does NOT determine an oil’s wear protection capability. An oil’s wear protection capability is determined by its proprietary additive package, which is what contains the extreme pressure anti-wear components. So, with my Engineering tests, you can bypass all that debate, and go directly to the results of how oils you find on Auto Parts Store shelves, actually perform when put to the test. My testing is a dynamic friction test under load, similar to how an engine dyno test is a dynamic HP/Torque test under load. Both tests show how their subjects truly perform in the real world, no matter what Brand names are involved, no matter what outrageous claims may have been made, and no matter what their spec sheets say.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 06:06 AM
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

Bob is the oil guy is the most intense oil blog. It will make your head hurt after reading it awhile.... Filters also.

John
"some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
09 Malibu LS
11 Tahoe LTZ
16 Equinox LTZ 3.6
01 FLHR
Ski Doo's & Sea Doo
02 Malibu traded
67 Malibu sold
64 Malibu sold
07 Mustang GT 3 pedals sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in