Best oil for your car - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Best oil for your car

Hey guys, I am getting oil so I can change my oil soon and I was just curious what brand of oil do some of you guys suggest. I run a 2011 Malibu LTZ with the 3.6L V6. I always get the Wix filters but curious on oil brands because there are so many of them out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Garage
Re: Best oil for your car

I have a 2011 LTZ with 3.6L as well. I've been using AmsOil Signature Series for the last 38K miles. I know that because that is when my engine was replaced after it threw a rod. I'm not convinced it was the oil I had used, which had been a number of different brands of synthetic blend. Royal Purple is what was in it when it died, but I'm sure RP was not the cause.

SS is the best AmsOil makes and may be overkill, but a number of unaffiliated tests have confirmed that it's good stuff. Look up YouTube's "Project Farm" channel and check out his comparisons.

The biggest things you have to worry about, as far as I've heard, are the timing chain tensioners. They're plastic strips stuck on metal backing plates. There are 3 chains and 7 tensioners! As it has been related to me, when the oil additives become too weak to do their jobs, it's possible that the plastic will wear more quickly.

I also added a remote oil filter so I don't have to deal with removing that dinky little thing and drip all over everything while trying not to burn my hand on the exhaust. It now uses a full-size filter mounted 100% vertically behind the right headlight. With more than twice (or 3x or 4x ??) the filter media surface it should be able to move more slowly through the filter, allowing it to filter out even more stuff.

I made a thread about it in the Gen7 section if you feel like moseying over there.

I plan to be changing my oil this Sunday. It's currently using a Mobil 1 filter and it's going to change to an AmsOil eA filter. It will have about 5K miles on the oil since the last change in September.

There's also a thread on here by @!Tommy that asks members to share what they use and how they feel.

Don't forget to drain and fill your tranny. It's really easy. I've done mine 2x and this Sunday will be the 3rd. (Yep, you guessed it: using AmsOil tranny fluid as well! )

I have 2 bottles from Blackstone Labs so I can send in samples of the engine oil and trans fluid. I've never done it but I'm truly curious about their condition and there's no better way I've heard of to get that kind of info than an oil analysis. $28 each. I hope it comes back with good news!
!Tommy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

Last edited by DrivenDaily; 03-08-2019 at 07:36 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Garage

I did my trans fluid for the first time at 104,747 miles, then again at 127,657 miles. This weekend it'll have about 133,ooo on it. I know it has been only 6,ooo miles since the last time, but I want to get as much of the old out and replace it with new.

This picture is from an SUV with the same transmission, but the bolt that they're pointing to is the drain. You'll get about 4-5 quarts out of it. Fill it with the same amount, checking it with the dipstick on the cap. Drive it a day or two and check it again.

When I did it the first time I drained 4Ĺ quarts and filled the same, but later when I was accelerating briskly, the 1-2 shift was really sloppy. I later discovered that it needed another 3 quarts of fluid! Apparently, about 10,ooo miles earlier when the engine was replaced, they didn't get the trans filled properly and it never gave me any issues until I drained it that day.

The second time was the same 4Ĺ quarts and took only 4Ĺ to fill it again, and this time no slippy-slidey shifts!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	From WWW- 6-speed drain plug on Traverse - DSC06272.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	62745  
Chevyman4life likes this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Thanks a lot I will replace mine asap
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Alright new question about the Dexron VI. All I can get my hands on is O'Reilleys Brand. Do you think that would be a suitable replacement?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 04:00 AM
Administrator

Garage

Speaking merely as someone who's repeating what has been heard from others, so long as it meets the specs that your transmission fluid requires, then it's acceptable.

I'm sorry if that sounds like a cop-out, but the specs are what we all have to meet or exceed, and they're set by GM's engineers, who actually know stuff. I question their lack of a dipstick on the 4-cylinder versions of the Gen7 transmission and the lack of a serviceable filter, but as far as what kind of fluid to use, I defer to them.
!Tommy likes this.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 04:24 AM
Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman15Ida View Post
Alright new question about the Dexron VI. All I can get my hands on is O'Reilleys Brand. Do you think that would be a suitable replacement?
Not sure who makes it for O'Reilly's, I know NAPA oils are Valvoline products.
It has to meet at least the minimum requirements, or they can't call it Dexron VI.
Make sure it says "Dexron VI" on the bottle. If it says "Dexron VI compatible" put it back on the shelf. It's lacking a crucial additive for dispersant, anti-foam, anti-shear, etc. and won't perform as it should.
!Tommy likes this.

Keeper of Eternal Flame, and two cans Eternal lighter fluid.
Holder of the Sacred Password to Identifix.

"Never laugh at your wife's choices. You are one of them."

2011 LS, 2.4L, six-speed ATX
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 04:27 AM
Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman15Ida View Post
Hey guys, I am getting oil so I can change my oil soon and I was just curious what brand of oil do some of you guys suggest. I run a 2011 Malibu LTZ with the 3.6L V6. I always get the Wix filters but curious on oil brands because there are so many of them out there.
I tend to stick with the name brands.. Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil, etc.
You need to see "Dexos 1 Gen 2" on the label.
GM upped the spec on the Dex 1 oils a couple years ago. We had to change to a different product to meet the new spec.

Keeper of Eternal Flame, and two cans Eternal lighter fluid.
Holder of the Sacred Password to Identifix.

"Never laugh at your wife's choices. You are one of them."

2011 LS, 2.4L, six-speed ATX
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLDickmon View Post
I tend to stick with the name brands.. Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil, etc.
You need to see "Dexos 1 Gen 2" on the label.
GM upped the spec on the Dex 1 oils a couple years ago. We had to change to a different product to meet the new spec.
Thanks Guys Picked up Valvoline for the Trans Fluid
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 09:10 PM
CMF Veteran Member

Garage
Cool Re: Best oil for your car

I've made up my mind and even though I haven't specifically stated it in my oil thread, I'm going to be switching over the AmsOil signature series as well. I know many have said that it is overkill for a 2.4 and even a 3.6, but the fact that so much of my hard earned money went into this car, not only to buy it but also to upgrade it to an LTZ, I want it to last a VERY LONG time. The engine has 120k on the clock now and since I've owned it, I've kept up on the oil changes myself except for one time where I had the dealership do it for me because I didn't have the time to do it. But I've always changed my oil around 7000 miles and it's always been before the oil life monitor hit 20%.

I'm also going to eventually change out my tranny fluid for AmsOil Signature Series as well. https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...?code=ATLQT-EA

I'm going to wait until I have a bit more miles on my current fluid since I changed it in the fall, so about 7000 miles ago. I know it's got quite a bit more life in it but again, I don't wanna be too careful so depending how many miles I put on the beast in the spring/summer, I may just opt to change it out again with AmsOil. The stuff I used was Parts Master from Auto Value. Not sure who makes it but it seems to work out fine. But I'd like to aim to make the 'Bu a million mile Chevy. Dunno if we can make it but I love the car, it's fun to drive, and I'd be willing to drive it that long!

Current Vehicles
2011 Chevy Malibu 1LT (LTZ) Silver Ice Metallic / Cocoa-Cashmere 2.4L
2003 Chevy Impala Base Bronzemist Metallic 3.4L - Second Daily Driver
1986 Chevy S-10 Light Blue Metallic 2.8L w/Western Isarmatic Mark III Plow - Damaged from engine fire, definitely repairable!

Traded
2005 Chevy Impala Comfort Plus Base Light Driftwood Metallic 3.4L - Primary Driver
1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S Light Adriatic Metallic 3.1L - Primary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in