Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

What is the proper tool to remove the fan cooling engine

11K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  DrivenDaily 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi

What is the proper tool to remove the fan cooling engine?
Is there anyone who knows the name of the tool or not?
Can I get it in Amazon?

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
That 8-point nut can be turned with a "square-point" socket, available in a number of socket sets as alternate/additional/speciality sockets. I have 3 in my Craftsmen set that I bought years ago: 3/8, 7/16, 1/2.

Attachments

#7 ·
I bought them years ago as part of a set of Craftsman sockets from a brick-and-mortar store, so I don't have a link to share. If you go to your local hardware or tool store and take the fan motor with you, you should be able to find a socket that fits. If not, then doing an online search may produce the results you seek.

#11 ·
Heating the fan is just to make the opening larger. It may also slightly soften the plastic, but I doubt that is the intent of warming or heating it.

When fitting a metal ring on a shaft that is designed with a hole that cannot be easily pressed on, the method used is to heat the ring. This causes it to expand, making the hole a little larger while it is hot. This allows the ring to be pressed onto the shaft, after which the ring cools and grips the shaft more tightly. A ring like this is usually there to keep a bearing in place but may serve some other purpose.

Heating the fan allows you to install it on the shaft more easily, and while it's still warm, you can turn the shaft in the direction indicated to ensure that everything lines up. When it cools, it will be firmly attached to the shaft.

Using a pair of needle nose pliers like you have pictured might work, but if they don't grip well enough or if you take too long when attempting to turn the shaft, the fan will cool and could be misaligned.

You also sent me a PM asking about a measuring plug. Use a tape measure or a ruler to determine the size, then use your best judgment on whether to purchase a socket or find another means of turning the shaft. If you choose to use pliers, try to find a pair of locking pliers so that you can make sure that they will grip the shaft and not slip off when you need them to be attached the most.

#16 ·
Based on that image, it looks like you need a 1/2" or possibly a 13mm square point socket.

I hope you find the right tool and get it repaired easily and quickly.

#18 ·
When I removed the shroud, the shape of the screws was really strange and I could not remove it, and now I decided to buy a new shroud. Can I install the engine fan screws on the shroud without problems or will it become unstable?

See for pictures

Attachments

#19 ·
In the pictures it looks like motor is riveted on, that's why in the replacement motor picture they supply new mounting screws. Looks like cut off old motor rivets to remove and bolt on the new one.

#21 ·
It should not be a problem if all the supplied screws are utilized. Usually they supply directions also.

#23 · (Edited)
I need to install new fans and motors.. the passenger side had blades that broke and made a loud noise. Made a loud boom and thrn a rattle like something loose.. Thanks to this forum I was able to find the right 8 point 1/2 " socket for the job
Stanley Proto J52109 3/8-inch Drive 5-piece Socket Set- 8-point Amazon.com: Stanley Proto J52109 3/8-inch Drive 5-piece Socket Set- 8-point : Tools & Home Improvement

Flipping the fan blade upside down, you can see the underside and the plastic tabs that lock into the motor drive plate once the tabs have been warmed up by hot water.. I let the hot water run over it for 2 minutes and it still was difficult and took a bit of torque to get them locked in..

#24 · (Edited)
I decided to replace both motors and fan blades while I'm at it, since I hate having to remove the fan shroud and radiator. The fan blades lasted 12 years, but I don't want to have to do the job again if the motor ever gives out.. After drilling out the old rivets ( I prefer a drill bit smaller than 1/4") , I
had to bring the whole assembly home and run it under hot water to remove the fan blades and swap the motors and then install the new blades after the new motor was
already bolted into the fan shroud..
..I don't trust aftermarket, so went with these factory motors and blades over a complete aftermarket assembly that would have included fans and motors

#25 ·
Yep, sometimes DIY means doing stuff yourself.

It saves you money and you learn things as you go. This gentleman was kind enough to share his knowledge so the next person will be in a better position to be successful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.