What is the proper tool to remove the fan cooling engine - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

What is the proper tool to remove the fan cooling engine

Hi

What is the proper tool to remove the fan cooling engine?
Is there anyone who knows the name of the tool or not?
Can I get it in Amazon?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71AfiM9IkoL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	63051  

Last edited by ltzmalibu; 04-15-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:02 PM
CMF Senior Member

Re: What is the proper tool to remove the fan cooling engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltzmalibu View Post
Hi

What is the proper tool to remove the fan cooling engine?
Is there anyone who knows the name of the tool or not?
Can I get it in Amazon?
No such thing. You just replace the electric fan motor for a new or used one. I did check on Amazon too. Thye only have tools for removing the thermo fan clutches that are mostly on older V6 and V8 engines, most in older cars and pickups.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:36 AM
CMF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman4life View Post
No such thing. You just replace the electric fan motor for a new or used one. I did check on Amazon too. Thye only have tools for removing the thermo fan clutches that are mostly on older V6 and V8 engines, most in older cars and pickups.
This^
I also see the entire motor you depict on Rock Auto as a "radiator fan motor".

2018 Malibu Premier 2.0T
2009 Malibu LT 2.4
2013 Tahoe LTZ 5.3

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman4life View Post
Fan Blade can not be installed on the Cooling Engine because it rotates and requires installation

Is there a suitable installation tool?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	31XaV7L9W6L.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	63053  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Garage
Cool Re: What is the proper tool to remove the fan cooling engine

That 8-point nut can be turned with a "square-point" socket, available in a number of socket sets as alternate/additional/speciality sockets. I have 3 in my Craftsmen set that I bought years ago: 3/8, 7/16, 1/2.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190417_113302.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	63055  
ltzmalibu likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
That 8-point nut can be turned with a "square-point" socket, available in a number of socket sets as alternate/additional/speciality sockets. I have 3 in my Craftsmen set that I bought years ago: 3/8, 7/16, 1/2.

Thank you I am really happy to help you,
Can I get a link from Amazon or eBay?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:25 AM
Administrator

Garage

I bought them years ago as part of a set of Craftsman sockets from a brick-and-mortar store, so I don't have a link to share. If you go to your local hardware or tool store and take the fan motor with you, you should be able to find a socket that fits. If not, then doing an online search may produce the results you seek.
ltzmalibu likes this.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Thumbs up Re: What is the proper tool to remove the fan cooling engine

Quote:
I bought them years ago as part of a set of Craftsman sockets from a brick-and-mortar store, so I don't have a link to share. If you go to your local hardware or tool store and take the fan motor with you, you should be able to find a socket that fits. If not, then doing an online search may produce the results you seek.
I'm not from the USA
I hope I get it at the local store

Thank you very much
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Garage
Cool Re: What is the proper tool to remove the fan cooling engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltzmalibu View Post
I'm not from the USA
I hope I get it at the local store

Thank you very much
You can measure the size from one flat across to the other, making sure to see the nut as 2 squares, one of which is rotated about the center by 45 degrees. You want the 2 opposing sides of a square, which will tell you size of the socket you need. Allow a tiny bit of "slop" or looseness so the socket or wrench will slide over it easily, but not be so loose that it rounds off the corners.

Once you know the dimension, look online if you don't have any local stores that carry it.
ltzmalibu likes this.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Question Re: What is the proper tool to remove the fan cooling engine

Quote:
You can measure the size from one flat across to the other, making sure to see the nut as 2 squares, one of which is rotated about the center by 45 degrees. You want the 2 opposing sides of a square, which will tell you size of the socket you need. Allow a tiny bit of "slop" or looseness so the socket or wrench will slide over it easily, but not be so loose that it rounds off the corners.

Once you know the dimension, look online if you don't have any local stores that carry it.
Thanks for clarifying the proposal
I think seriously about using this tool:
*(See image)

Do you think he can do the job?

I have a final query
Does this method require me to apply it literally or is it not important?

NOTICE: failure to heat the fan blade with hot water or allowing the fan to cool for more than 1 minute before installing may result in the fan clicking

1-using hot tap water (minimum of 49 deg . C 120 deg. F) hold the new fan hub area under the running water for a minimum 60 seconds to heat the fan blade to the temperature of the water.
2-Immediately after heating ، position the fan blade on ti the motor drive plate.
3-Using the appropriate tool turn the motor drive plate in the direction of the arrow on the fan blade untill the three slots in the face of the fan blade.
4-Rotate fan to ensure fan is spinning freely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in