Radiator/Drain/Flush/Lower Hose access/2009/3.6 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By JLDickmon
  • 1 Post By DrivenDaily

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
CMF Senior Member

Question Radiator/Drain/Flush/Lower Hose access/2009/3.6

Going to drain/refill the radiator on my 3.6 2009 Malibu. Would like to drain the radiator by removing lower hose. Will have access to hoist and just curious can the hose be accessed without removing panels, that is, can the hose be accessed directly from below?

Would accessing the lower hose from the top be an easier solution? Any tips or suggestions appreciated. TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:12 PM
Certified Technician

Re: Radiator/Drain/Flush/Lower Hose access/2009/3.6

might be less mess to open the drain cock.
Bottom of the tank, side opposite the trans lines
!Tommy likes this.

Keeper of Eternal Flame, and two cans Eternal lighter fluid.
Holder of the Sacred Password to Identifix.

"Never laugh at your wife's choices. You are one of them."

2011 LS, 2.4L, six-speed ATX
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Garage
Cool Re: Radiator/Drain/Flush/Lower Hose access/2009/3.6

I, too, have a 3.6L.

The lower hose is on the driver's side. It can be accessed by removing the panel between the wheel and front bumper, then removing a small boxy cover (plastic as well) to see the hose itself. If you don't wanna remove those panels, you'll need to get a special tool for the self-tightening hose clamps.

If you intend to completely drain the radiator and/or cooling system, the lower hose is mounted high enough up on the tank that it leaves quite a bit of liquid in it. You may want to consider using the drain valve.

Here is the one I just bought but haven't used yet.

If you wanna do any of the hoses, this is what will make it easier. Using common pliers I was able to get the 2 radiator hoses and the one hose from the t-stat to the reservoir, but the 2 heater hoses are stuffed into a spot that is so tight and hard to reach that I broke down and bought it. I expect to be doing the heater hoses this coming weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Astro Pneumatic Tool 9409A Hose Clamp Pliers.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	63091  
!Tommy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

Last edited by DrivenDaily; 04-25-2019 at 03:19 AM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
CMF Senior Member

Thanks for the replies...the petcock drain sounds like the best solution for me.....
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 04:21 AM
Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas92000 View Post
Thanks for the replies...the petcock drain sounds like the best solution for me.....
especially since the "lower" hose isn't on the bottom of the tank on these cars. It's near the middle.

Keeper of Eternal Flame, and two cans Eternal lighter fluid.
Holder of the Sacred Password to Identifix.

"Never laugh at your wife's choices. You are one of them."

2011 LS, 2.4L, six-speed ATX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in