2016 Limited LTZ transmission fluid change - Page 2 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Found Valvoline full synthetic DeX vi on sale for 5 bucks a quart plus a 10 dollar off reward credit so I did 2 more exchanges. Fluid nice and clean now.

Life comes at you FAST! Enjoy just today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:05 AM
CMF Junior Member

Re: 2016 Limited LTZ transmission fluid change

I've often wondered about fluid color also. Could, just could it be due to an interaction between the basically aluminum casting of the transmission and the moisture that has built up and boiled off after the many miles of use? Yeah I know that it'll probably be shot down by some system administrator but having years of experience in metallurgy and knowledge of oxidation with aluminum it is suspect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Strategic Air Command, 380th Avionics Maintenance Squadron, Electronic Countermeasure Shop
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Garage

That's a pretty interesting idea about how it might get some of its color. I guess I never thought about it that much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:55 AM
ASE Certified Technician

Black fluid, as long as it does NOT smell burnt, does not necessarily imply anything. Calling the fluid color black is also, to a certain extent, a judgment call. Dark brown is usually a more accurate description and that is normal. If you see any metallic appearance however I would be concerned. The fluid will not retain it's red color for long. IMO, there is no such thing as lifetime fluid. Now with that said, the fluid doesn't wear out, but the additive package will be consumed at some point and at that time the fluid needs to be changed.

Fluid level is critical, too much would probably be the one I'd be more concerned with, however, too little is more common in my experience. If you do your own service and you measure what you remove and then add in the same amount, you're back to where you started with fluid level but you still don't know whether that level is correct. In regards to the 6T40, as an example, the temperature you're supposed to check level at is around 190 degrees, ATF temperature that is, not coolant temperature. Also keep in mind, some of the late model transmission cooler lines have thermostats in them which blocks off cooler flow until trans temp is high enough. That is important as if the cooler circuit is not full of fluid when you set the level, when the thermostat does open the air will be purged from the cooler and your fluid level will drop, most likely not a lot but a drop none the less. Yes, it's a PITA to go through all the steps to set proper fluid level but these transmissions aren't the turbo 350's of 40 years ago either. Just my 2 cents.
DrivenDaily and SilverSport like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in