2016 Limited LTZ transmission fluid change - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

2016 Limited LTZ transmission fluid change

Hello all new to the forum. I am trying to find info for our transmissions. So I see the black cheezy plastic fill cap on the top deck.
I see a small hex plug like 3/8 inch on the bottom of the case which looks like a pressure measuring port not a drain.

So what am I missing? How would you fill it back up to the proper level? Is there a higher plug I'm missing and you fill till it comes out?

Thanks for any help. I need to do a DYI with photos for this site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Garage
Re: 2016 LTZ transmission fluid change

Your 2016 shouldn't have a fill cap for the transmission. The last model to have a cap/dipstick was the Gen7 with the 3.6L engine. (I have one, have had 2 before.) The 4-cylinder Gen7 and all Gen8 and newer models have a fill plug and a drain plug, but no cap.

While it might be a valid argument with a group of engineers, for me, having a transmission and no easy way to check the level tells me that the designers haven't had to care for their own cars before and don't realize just how important it is to someone who does.
Scubacat likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Here is the cheezy cap and the year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190325_193135_1553556741319.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	62877   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190325_192546_1553556758784.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	62879  

Life comes at you FAST! Enjoy just today!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Garage
Cool Re: 2016 LTZ transmission fluid change

Wow, that's a cap alright! I wonder if there's a dipstick/cable attached to it like mine has. I've read just about every post on here there is to read (one of the hazards of being the Admin) and was totally under the impression that there was no filler cap on anything newer than the Gen7.

Thanks for clarifying that!

Just as a comparison, here's the drain plug on my Gen7's underside. It doesn't look like a drain plug, so the first time I took it out, I wasn't sure if I was messing with an adjustment or not. Pic with finger is from online of an SUV, but it's the exact same location and size as mine. Pic with red circle is my car.

Edit: These 2 pictures are for the 6T70. Yours may or may not have this plug.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	From WWW- 6-speed drain plug on Traverse - DSC06272.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	62881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Transmission Drain Plug with circle 20180818_074443.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	62883  
kramerpage likes this.

Last edited by DrivenDaily; 03-26-2019 at 03:42 AM. Reason: For 6T70 trans.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I am jealous of how accessible that filler cap appears to be. I have the same transmission in my gen9 but that same cap is squeezed in tight below and between the battery and ECM. I'd need to remove the battery or find some long pliers to try and twist it off. Or maybe my wife could grab it.... anyway congrats on that at least. The plug DD showed in his pic is the same in my 6T40. It rises out a bit just like that and doesn't really look like a plug.
kramerpage likes this.

2016 Malibu 1LT
1.5T, 6T40, 2 wipers, 4 wheels, 8 cupholders, 16 valves, 32 thingamabobbers
Born 1/20/2016 in Fairfax, KS, Purchased 3/6/2016

RIP Chevrolet Cruze
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:46 PM
CMF Junior Member

To drain it it is the plug shown in drivendailys picture, you fill it from the cap on top and to check the level there’s a plug on the side of the driver axle.
kramerpage likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 03:43 AM
Administrator

Garage

I edited my post to make sure that folks know that I have the 6T70. Apparently, the 6T40 has the same plug, so that's nice to know!

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

@ Driven Daily
Hello thanks for the response. The cheezy cap is just threaded and has no dip stick/cable. I do have the same drain plug (if they want to call it that) on the bottom.

So myself being very old lol struggles with the idea of 239.00 to service transmission at the dealer. Service being push pull 11 quarts thru the coolant lines.

Im just trying to wrap my head around how to change the fluid and give the transmission a chance to survive. I do my own oil changes so I am right there anyway to do a partial dump/fill.

So my next step is to try to find the level port.

Last edited by kramerpage; 03-26-2019 at 06:16 AM. Reason: @
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Re: 2016 Limited LTZ transmission fluid change

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky View Post
To drain it it is the plug shown in drivendailys picture, you fill it from the cap on top and to check the level there’s a plug on the side of the driver axle.
Roger that Ricky. I will get my eyes down there and find the plug.

My head hurts from reading all the crap about changing the fluid. Do it hot, do it cold, do it level, do it by measure, add extra 2 oz for good luck, do it by level side plug not running, do it by level side plug hot, keep temperature at 77 degrees, keep it at 177 degrees, make sure you press gas to floor three times and rotate key to on off on off for 3 minutes while singing God Bless America...

This is some crazy stuff for sure over replacing some fluid LOL

Last edited by DrivenDaily; 03-26-2019 at 02:24 PM. Reason: OP:spell checker; CMF: language
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Purchased 13 quarts of Castrol DeX vi trans max for 5 bucks a quart at autozone. Went next store to dollar store and purchased a lemonade pitcher. Jacked drivers side up a little and removed 7/16 plug. Drained black oil in pan. Replaced drain plug. Filled lemonade pitcher to the tip top. Dumped old oil in recycling bucket. Filled pitcher w 4 quarts 3 oz. Removed filler cap. Dumped in the top filler port. Replaced cap. Located level port on drivers side next to output shaft. Closed hood.

20 minute job. Extremely easy skill level. Thanks for all the help from the forum members.

Will do this 2 more times in the next few weeks. 37,950 miles on vehicle.

Fluid DID NOT SMELL BURNT. Seemed to be in good condition when you run your fingers in it.

I can't imagine the black is clutch wear. I drive 80 percent freeway at 65mph w cruise on. I'll bet it's an additive but that's my opinion...
Scubacat likes this.

Last edited by kramerpage; 03-26-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in