Slotted/drilled rotors with 17" rims - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Question Slotted/drilled rotors with 17" rims

Yeah , yeah I know go different rims also. But I want the slotted/drilled rotors up front for the serious look. What should be done about the caliper? Any suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Strategic Air Command, 380th Avionics Maintenance Squadron, Electronic Countermeasure Shop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Garage
Re: Slotted/drilled rotors with 17" rims

My buddies at The Knucklehead Garage say to just toss it since it gets in the way of lookin' at those pretty rotors. Ain't that why ya have a Parkin' Brake?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Spread out!

Strategic Air Command, 380th Avionics Maintenance Squadron, Electronic Countermeasure Shop

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Well not the response I thought I'd get. Not everybody has the desire to rip there car down and repopulate it with parts bin items. I was asking "What's the maximum rotor diameter that can be installed while keeping the 17 inch rim", and what would you do about the calipers, keep stock units or go with GM caliper's from a Malibu that were larger? Gee I guess that's to restrictive, to work within certain confines or what you have to and only replace a part where it was of distinct advantage. Sorry my dad isn't buying me the parts as he is dead.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Garage

When you ask about what to do with the caliper, do you intend to paint it, buy a cover for it, or replace it with something else?

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
When you ask about what to do with the caliper, do you intend to paint it, buy a cover for it, or replace it with something else?
Read my post very slowly then think very hard, it will all become very clear.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:46 AM
Administrator

Garage

I read it the first time and just now again, in case you edited it. No change.

If your intent with the rotors is show, paint the caliper. If it's purely pragmatic, just do a normal service.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Skip the drilled/slotted rotors, that's kid stuff. Like modding a car for the "stanced" appearance with heavy camber. You're not gaining anything, but you're losing a lot. Those rotors don't wear properly and they're prone to developing grooves and eventually cracks. It's an especially bad idea when you're talking about being on a budget because you're going to be replacing them twice as often.

Search around the internet and you'll see owners of high dollar sports cars switching to "blank" rotors. Drilled/slotted are for track cars with owners that can afford to go completely through a set of brakes in a day at Laguna Seca or VIR.

Do yourself a huge favor and buy the GM-approved upgrade ACDelco "Professional" pads and rotors and then paint the calipers whatever color you want with Duplicolor Caliper paint and throw on some CHEVROLET brake decals. You'll have the curb appeal and better braking without killing your budget.

2017 Chevy SS Sedan
6.2L LS3 V8/6-Speed Manual

Last edited by cp-the-nerd; Today at 10:10 AM. Reason: Linked image of cracked drilled rotor not working.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM
CMF Rookie Member

Not necessary I put a set of slotted and drilled zinc plated, Rotor's and Ceramic pad's on my 2012..works awesome .. got them from Amazon cheap $ 119.00 shipped to the front door.. I liked them so much !!!! I just did the same thing on my 2002 Malibu they only cost $ 68.00 for pad and rotors to the door as well. They don't make Noise and stop on a Dime ... A Great investment ! For And Car
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Garage
Cool Re: Slotted/drilled rotors with 17" rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Malibu View Post
Not necessary I put a set of slotted and drilled zinc plated, Rotor's and Ceramic pad's on my 2012..works awesome .. got them from Amazon cheap $ 119.00 shipped to the front door.. I liked them so much !!!! I just did the same thing on my 2002 Malibu they only cost $ 68.00 for pad and rotors to the door as well. They don't make Noise and stop on a Dime ... A Great investment ! For And Car
How many miles have you put on those rotors? The drilled holes are reportedly more prone to cracking. The slots look cool, but for purely pragmatic results, they aren't needed for modern pads that don't outgas like asbestos pads of the past.
SilverSport and Crazy Eric like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in