Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2011 Starter spins won't turn over engine

19K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  DrivenDaily 
#1 ·
Help Please
- Symptoms
1. Car had been running strange for several months, had a tune up done. Pausing during acceleration, kind of jerky acting.
2. Day before it died it started acting like it was going to die when you slowed down to stop.
3. Been driving car all day and it just died at a stop after it died the starter will spin but not engage the flywheel and turn the moter over.

- Things I have tried
1. Tried new starter same thing just makes a clicking sound then the starter spins never engaging the flywheel.
2. Rented a code reader and it returned the codes (I have the codes at the house I will add to post tonight, but they said both camshaft sensors were bad)
3. I purchased both Camshaft sensors and still the same thing starter just spins.
4. I tried to start the car in neutral same thing.
5. I moved the flywheel just a little and still the same thing.
6 Flywheel looks to be in good shape all teeth look good.

Thank at a dead end any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thinking it might be electrical???

See less See more
#4 ·
I had a '75 Nova 350 V8 that would just start to spin the engine but most of the time it wouldn't "catch" and start.

Discovered that 2 of the 4 brushes in the starter were worn to the point where only ½ of the motor was working. Replaced the brushes and it spun like a (insert your favorite home-spun term here) and started every time after that.

Yours could have a similar condition. Or not.

#5 ·
i'm having this exact same issue on my 2011 malibu. it was driving rough and i pulled the codes and got p0016/p0017 which says that the camshaft and crankshaft weren't timed correctly. bought the sensors and changed them but the car still wont start. checked the starter and it was ok, checked to see if the was spark and there was, checked the fuel pressure and it was ok and the fuel pump was working. took it into the shop to get checked out and fixed and was told that there was no compression in any of the cylinders. is there any fix that doesn't involve changing the engine. can't afford that now

#6 ·
There are sensors and there are camshaft solenoids that actually advance and retard the valve timing. You could be experiencing clogged or failed solenoids and/or their wiring, or a timing belt/chain that has jumped a tooth.

#8 · (Edited)
I have a few question on this as well. I have had the starter tested and it was bad as it would not engage. It would just slide back and forth, so we got a new one and put it in and when you turn the Key you can hear the solenoid turn on but it will not engage, Meaning i could not hear the pin come out to engage the flywheel. So took it back out and had it retested and it was fine, so put it back in and the same results. So took the battery out recharged it and same results. Along with this the lights did not dim while trying to start it either. I also took out the Alternator and had it tested and it was fine. So along with all this I asked the guy at the auto place so I could double check my connections and he said all I needed the the bolts to hold the starter for the ground, the hot from the battery and the plug and nothing more. Now i do recall another wire hanging down next to it and I could have taken that off and for got to put it back on, so after research I put it on the hot bolt on the starter and still had the same results.

Initially the car was driving down the road and just stopped, but my thoughts are the starter was fully engaged and was draining the battery quicker than the Alternator could keep up. When i got to the car as my kids was driving it there was very little battery. I did take a new battery from my 05 Malibu and tried it and got the same results all the way around. I do not think I need to do the test light like you suggested due to i can hear the solenoid kicking on it just does not engage. I did also try to start while the car was in neutral as well and got the same results. I am going to start on the relays and see if that helps but wanted some advice on what else to try as I think I am running out of options.

We did have a self scanner and it thru the camshaft sensor error but I am unsure that is the issue as others have had this type of issue as well. I am looking for some other directions and would appreciate the help. I will replay once I see what happens with the sensors. thanks in advance for the help.

So i went out and worked on the relays and with some help was was able to feel what I think is the fly wheel engaging and trying but it will not start, So need to go that route at this time with some help on what to try next.

#9 ·
Have you tried connecting the starter but running it *outside* or off the engine (to see it spin)? I’ve never done this before, but it sounds like you need a sanity check here. Those wires are pretty short, though, so you may need a place to rest it while you turn the key.

***WARNING ***Make sure your hands are nowhere near the starter when you turn the key ***

If it pops out and spins, then it can’t handle the load of the flywheel, or the flywheel is bound, or maybe the starter requires a shim plate when mounting it??

#10 ·
Yep had it out already to test it and it shot out. Once back in I was able to hear and feel the car rotating the fly wheel. There was not shim when I took it out and matched up to the new one just fine. I am going to try and get the Crankshaft sensor tested and see what I can come up there. I was reading that if the car dies while driving and will not restart and you get a code referring to the camshaft or camshaft sensor then it is probley bad, but will get it checked to be sure. Will update when I find out.

#11 ·
I know this is an older post but maybe I can help someone else out that might read this later on. To the above poster. I highly doubt the starter was engaged while the car was running and killing the battery faster than the alternator could keep up. If the starter was engaged with the engine running you definitely would have heard it as it surely would have made a terrible noise as well as destroyed your starter or flywheel or at a minimum messed them up pretty good. Everyone that’s saying that their car just died all of a sudden and won’t restart Along with getting cam/crank codes or cam/crank correlation codes you more than likely have a broken timing belt or chain. This would let the crankshaft spin as it’s attached to the flywheel which the starter spins when it’s engaged. If the belt or chain is broken the camshaft or camshafts would no longer be connected to the crankshaft by belt or chain and wouldn’t be able to spin with it when The starter is engaged. The cam and crank sensors would then pick up that the cam and crank are out of time. Sometimes, to the untrained ear or someone that doesn’t have the experience, when a timing belt or chain is broken it can kind of sound like the motor isn’t turning over. It will kind of sound like the starter is kicking out and just spinning fast. The starter is actually kicking out and turning the motor over and doesn’t sound like it because it’s not having to work as hard to turn the cams along with the crank as well as fight against compression it’s supposed to be building but no longer isn’t. It’s able to spin freely and a lot faster sounding similar to a starter kicking out and spinning without engaging the flywheel. Make sure you can visibly see the pulleys and serpentine belts rotating as someone tries to start the vehicle. If they are then the starter is engaging and turning the motor over. If the motor is turning super fast or faster than normal then you will need to check the timing belt or chains. With the cam and crank out of time the valves won’t be open or closed when they are supposed to be and the motor won’t have the compression its supposed to have. The motor will be able to spin faster and more freely without having to build compression. Hopefully this information will help someone. Good luck.

#14 ·
Help Please - Symptoms 1. Car had been running strange for several months, had a tune up done. Pausing during acceleration, kind of jerky acting. 2. Day before it died it started acting like it was going to die when you slowed down to stop. 3. Been driving car all day and it just died at a stop after it died the starter will spin but not engage the flywheel and turn the moter over. - Things I have tried 1. Tried new starter same thing just makes a clicking sound then the starter spins never engaging the flywheel. 2. Rented a code reader and it returned the codes (I have the codes at the house I will add to post tonight, but they said both camshaft sensors were bad) 3. I purchased both Camshaft sensors and still the same thing starter just spins. 4. I tried to start the car in neutral same thing. 5. I moved the flywheel just a little and still the same thing. 6 Flywheel looks to be in good shape all teeth look good. Thank at a dead end any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thinking it might be electrical???
Hey my car is doing that now did you ever find out the problem I did everything you did starter battery spark plugs relay and cable to the battery alternator is good. How did you fix your problem???? When I let my car sit for hours and hours it will start angin

#16 ·
@sabrenabaker81
If you were told it was a belt, you were misinformed. All of the engines in the Gen7 use timing chains.

Since 2019, this thread has harvested 5 comments from folks who posted once. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.