2011 Starter spins won't turn over engine - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

2011 Starter spins won't turn over engine

Help Please
- Symptoms
1. Car had been running strange for several months, had a tune up done. Pausing during acceleration, kind of jerky acting.
2. Day before it died it started acting like it was going to die when you slowed down to stop.
3. Been driving car all day and it just died at a stop after it died the starter will spin but not engage the flywheel and turn the moter over.

- Things I have tried
1. Tried new starter same thing just makes a clicking sound then the starter spins never engaging the flywheel.
2. Rented a code reader and it returned the codes (I have the codes at the house I will add to post tonight, but they said both camshaft sensors were bad)
3. I purchased both Camshaft sensors and still the same thing starter just spins.
4. I tried to start the car in neutral same thing.
5. I moved the flywheel just a little and still the same thing.
6 Flywheel looks to be in good shape all teeth look good.

Thank at a dead end any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thinking it might be electrical???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 07:59 AM
Certified Technician

Re: 2011 Starter spins won't turn over engine

2011 2.4litre four banger?

Keeper of Eternal Flame, and two cans Eternal lighter fluid.
Holder of the Sacred Password to Identifix.

"Never laugh at your wife's choices. You are one of them."

2011 LS, 2.4L, six-speed ATX
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Yes JLDickmon

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Garage

I had a '75 Nova 350 V8 that would just start to spin the engine but most of the time it wouldn't "catch" and start.

Discovered that 2 of the 4 brushes in the starter were worn to the point where only ˝ of the motor was working. Replaced the brushes and it spun like a (insert your favorite home-spun term here) and started every time after that.

Yours could have a similar condition. Or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 12:13 AM
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degefese View Post
Help Please
- Symptoms
1. Car had been running strange for several months, had a tune up done. Pausing during acceleration, kind of jerky acting.
2. Day before it died it started acting like it was going to die when you slowed down to stop.
3. Been driving car all day and it just died at a stop after it died the starter will spin but not engage the flywheel and turn the moter over.

- Things I have tried
1. Tried new starter same thing just makes a clicking sound then the starter spins never engaging the flywheel.
2. Rented a code reader and it returned the codes (I have the codes at the house I will add to post tonight, but they said both camshaft sensors were bad)
3. I purchased both Camshaft sensors and still the same thing starter just spins.
4. I tried to start the car in neutral same thing.
5. I moved the flywheel just a little and still the same thing.
6 Flywheel looks to be in good shape all teeth look good.

Thank at a dead end any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thinking it might be electrical???
i'm having this exact same issue on my 2011 malibu. it was driving rough and i pulled the codes and got p0016/p0017 which says that the camshaft and crankshaft weren't timed correctly. bought the sensors and changed them but the car still wont start. checked the starter and it was ok, checked to see if the was spark and there was, checked the fuel pressure and it was ok and the fuel pump was working. took it into the shop to get checked out and fixed and was told that there was no compression in any of the cylinders. is there any fix that doesn't involve changing the engine. can't afford that now
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 03:44 AM
Administrator

Garage

There are sensors and there are camshaft solenoids that actually advance and retard the valve timing. You could be experiencing clogged or failed solenoids and/or their wiring, or a timing belt/chain that has jumped a tooth.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 05:28 AM
CMF Rookie Member

i changed those solenoids and timing chain in november of 2017
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:57 PM
CMF Rookie Member

I have a few question on this as well. I have had the starter tested and it was bad as it would not engage. It would just slide back and forth, so we got a new one and put it in and when you turn the Key you can hear the solenoid turn on but it will not engage, Meaning i could not hear the pin come out to engage the flywheel. So took it back out and had it retested and it was fine, so put it back in and the same results. So took the battery out recharged it and same results. Along with this the lights did not dim while trying to start it either. I also took out the Alternator and had it tested and it was fine. So along with all this I asked the guy at the auto place so I could double check my connections and he said all I needed the the bolts to hold the starter for the ground, the hot from the battery and the plug and nothing more. Now i do recall another wire hanging down next to it and I could have taken that off and for got to put it back on, so after research I put it on the hot bolt on the starter and still had the same results.

Initially the car was driving down the road and just stopped, but my thoughts are the starter was fully engaged and was draining the battery quicker than the Alternator could keep up. When i got to the car as my kids was driving it there was very little battery. I did take a new battery from my 05 Malibu and tried it and got the same results all the way around. I do not think I need to do the test light like you suggested due to i can hear the solenoid kicking on it just does not engage. I did also try to start while the car was in neutral as well and got the same results. I am going to start on the relays and see if that helps but wanted some advice on what else to try as I think I am running out of options.

We did have a self scanner and it thru the camshaft sensor error but I am unsure that is the issue as others have had this type of issue as well. I am looking for some other directions and would appreciate the help. I will replay once I see what happens with the sensors. thanks in advance for the help.

So i went out and worked on the relays and with some help was was able to feel what I think is the fly wheel engaging and trying but it will not start, So need to go that route at this time with some help on what to try next.

Last edited by ShawnShutt; 04-15-2019 at 07:13 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:51 PM
CMF Junior Member

Have you tried connecting the starter but running it *outside* or off the engine (to see it spin)? I’ve never done this before, but it sounds like you need a sanity check here. Those wires are pretty short, though, so you may need a place to rest it while you turn the key.

***WARNING ***Make sure your hands are nowhere near the starter when you turn the key ***

If it pops out and spins, then it can’t handle the load of the flywheel, or the flywheel is bound, or maybe the starter requires a shim plate when mounting it??

2008 Malibu: Bronze? / 2.4 L I4 / FWD / Leather /76,000 mi 06/15/19 (Dad's vehicle)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:32 PM
CMF Rookie Member

Yep had it out already to test it and it shot out. Once back in I was able to hear and feel the car rotating the fly wheel. There was not shim when I took it out and matched up to the new one just fine. I am going to try and get the Crankshaft sensor tested and see what I can come up there. I was reading that if the car dies while driving and will not restart and you get a code referring to the camshaft or camshaft sensor then it is probley bad, but will get it checked to be sure. Will update when I find out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in