16-pin 5-wire OnStar Rearview Mirror Harness - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By OwenS
  • 2 Post By OwenS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

16-pin 5-wire OnStar Rearview Mirror Harness

Hi,

I'm replacing the factory OnStar rearview mirror with a Gentex auto-dimming+compass mirror. Instead of wiring the new mirror into the dashboard, I am trying to wire it to the existing OnStar harness. The 16-pin harness has only 5 pins in use: 8 (black, gound), 11 (blue), 12 (black/white), 14 (grey), 15 (brown/white). The black/white wire controls the OnStar button illumination (green LED light), so I think I could use it as the source of the new mirror.

However, the wire's voltage is strangely 10V. So I got a voltage converter to make it a 12V. The strangest thing is then followed: although the voltage of the wire is 12V according to the multimeter, it can never power on the new mirror. The new mirror is also functional: it works when wired directly to the battery. Hard to understand why it's 10V and why the new mirror fails given a suitable voltage.

Any thoughts on the OnStar harness and other physically nearby wiring options?

Last edited by OwenS; 05-29-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 03:55 AM
Administrator

Garage
Re: 16-pin 5-wire OnStar Rearview Mirror Harness

A voltage that is present without a load can change when a load appears. 10V at "idle", so to speak, may not be 10V when it is being put to use. Boosting 10V to 12V puts a greater load on the 10V source and may overload it, too. Measure the new 12V when the mirror tries to turn on and you may find that it cannot provide the amperage required to do the job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
A voltage that is present without a load can change when a load appears. 10V at "idle", so to speak, may not be 10V when it is being put to use. Boosting 10V to 12V puts a greater load on the 10V source and may overload it, too. Measure the new 12V when the mirror tries to turn on and you may find that it cannot provide the amperage required to do the job.
Thanks for the reminder DrivenDaily. So the OnStar harness cannot be used anyway... Do you think it is possible to use the source from map location?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

I did a write-up on this. https://www.chevymalibuforum.com/foru...d-compass.html

I'd recommend getting an add-a-circuit and branch off your wipers in the center console and running the power wire up through your A-pillar to pin 13 in the harness. It's ACC/ON power so when the car is shut off, it'll shut off too.

Current Vehicles
2011 Chevy Malibu 1LT (LTZ) Silver Ice Metallic / Cocoa-Cashmere 2.4L
2003 Chevy Impala Base Bronzemist Metallic 3.4L - Second Daily Driver
1986 Chevy S-10 Light Blue Metallic 2.8L w/Western Isarmatic Mark III Plow - Damaged from engine fire, under repair.

Traded
2005 Chevy Impala Comfort Plus Base Light Driftwood Metallic 3.4L - Primary Driver
1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S Light Adriatic Metallic 3.1L - Primary
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Tommy View Post
I did a write-up on this.

I'd recommend getting an add-a-circuit and branch off your wipers in the center console and running the power wire up through your A-pillar to pin 13 in the harness. It's ACC/ON power so when the car is shut off, it'll shut off too.
Hey Tommy I was and am reading your post. Nice work! Well, I guess I will do it in a similar way to yours: it is too risky to find the right ignition controlled 12V around map light area without reference. Grabbing my toolbox and will get it done soon!
!Tommy likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Good luck! You'll love the results! It seems a bit more intimidating than what it really is, but really, it's not that bad at all. And those add a circuits are great because you don't have to ruin your wiring from the factory.

Current Vehicles
1986 Chevy S-10 Light Blue Metallic 2.8L w/Western Isarmatic Mark III Plow - Damaged from engine fire, under repair.

Traded
2005 Chevy Impala Comfort Plus Base Light Driftwood Metallic 3.4L - Primary Driver
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Got the new mirror installed successfully. I utilized the ground wire from the onstar harness, and route the power supply to the top edge of the windshield -> inside A-pillar -> the compartment below the dashboard -> the media center (where the factory radio was installed). The power supply is finally connected to the ACC of the media center. All routings are absolutely invisible. Can't be happier with the result!

Special thanks to DrivenDaily and Tommy for the helpful advice and suggestion!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	60609   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	60617   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	60625  
DrivenDaily and !Tommy like this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Cool Re: 16-pin 5-wire OnStar Rearview Mirror Harness

Yay!! Congrats! Glad you got it installed and working properly! Wait until you experience the autodimming and you won't have to constantly fiddle with it when you have bright lights behind you. If you look at the next post of my guide, I also installed the autodimming driver's mirror as well and you can do that as well if you so choose with just a bit extra wiring. But of course this is obviously great as it is.

Current Vehicles

Traded
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in