High mileage synthetic oil vs fully synthetic oil? - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Unhappy High mileage synthetic oil vs fully synthetic oil?

2011 chevy malibu 105k
Currently, I am using Mobil 1 Annual Protection 5W30, 5qt. It supposes to go for up to 20k, but I drove 5k and my car saying 20% oil left. Before that I used $40 semi-synthetic high mileage oil change from a mechanic, it goes about 6k. Is that just the car computer saying based on mileage or my oil get bad?

And also should I use high mileage synthetic oil or fully synthetic oil?
I drove for food delivery; so, I mostly drive in city stop and go. I got really bad mileage in a city about 15 mpg or less. highway about 30 mpg.

One more question, I am thinking to use "AmazonBasics High Mileage Motor Oil - Full Synthetic (SN Plus, dexos1-Gen2) - 5W-30 - 5 Quart - AMDH533Q" they also have fully synthetic without high mileage feature for the same price($18). Which one should I use? Since its a lot cheaper and Scotty kimmer was saying this oil is pretty good.
Thanks a lot, guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Re: High mileage synthetic oil vs fully synthetic oil?

1. Your car's oil life monitor doesn't know the difference between oil brands or oil quality. It's going to count down the same way if you buy the most expensive synthetic oil on earth or literally just reset the counter with used oil in the car. If you buy annual protection, then follow the recommendation on the bottle and check your dipstick to make sure it's topped off and not getting thick or nasty.

2. Mobil 1 synthetic is fine for your car in any form. The high mileage blend is just tailored for well-worn engines.

3. If your 2011 Malibu is the 3.6L V6 model, continue using Mobil 1 (not AmazonBasics) because it's higher quality and that engine is better off drinking the good stuff. If you have the 2.4L engine, go ahead and try the AmazonBasics synthetic.
!Tommy and taohid like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 Chevy SS Sedan
6.2L LS3 V8/6-Speed Manual
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Thanks for the clarification. So, I can go for another 10k at least for now with my current oil. And I've 2.4L, LS, the lowest one for 2011 Malibu

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by taohid View Post
One more question, I am thinking to use "AmazonBasics High Mileage Motor Oil - Full Synthetic (SN Plus, dexos1-Gen2) - 5W-30 - 5 Quart - AMDH533Q" they also have fully synthetic without high mileage feature for the same price($18). Which one should I use? Since its a lot cheaper and Scotty kimmer was saying this oil is pretty good.
Thanks a lot, guys.
Heh, before I actually saw it here, I was gonna ask if you were watching Scotty Kilmer.

First off, Amazon Basics like he said is made by Warren Oil. They also make a lot of other oils too like Autoquest by Meijer and that stuff is pretty cheap as well, about $18 for 5 quart full synthetic and also has the Dexos approval on it. Even with the 2.4, I've never tried it even though I'm sure it's probably fine. I put Autoquest into my S-10 and it hasn't had an issue whatsoever. I generally stick to Mobil 1 on the 'Bu though.

Don't buy the annual protection though, you're just wasting your money. Unless you're literally on the freeway all the time, it's best to save a bit of money and go advanced full synthetic, either the gray or the gold version from Mobil 1. It's cheaper and either way, you'll have to change your oil as often. I personally don't recommend going over 7000 miles between oil changes. That'll get you about 15-20% oil life remaining on your oil life monitor. To me, the oil is pretty dirty even by that amount of miles and yes, it means the oil is doing its job but it also means that it's starting to break down a bit by all the contaminates and the more and more it continues, the less effective it will become.

But in my personal opinion, oil changes are cheap insurance to ensure you have maximum protection in your engine as oil starts breaking down and doesn't lubricate as well anymore. I don't generally have a set time when I change the oil but I would always say that changing it before winter is also a good bet if you're getting close to your service mileage, especially if you live in a cold climate. You want the best oil protection you can get and also with fresher oil, your viscosity won't be as affected as used oil.

I don't care what anyone says, when it's 0 degrees outside, I always start and let the car run a for a few minutes before I hop in and start driving it. Sure, it's probably why most newer cars use a thinner oil so that it lubes better hence something like 5w, the lower the number, the better it protects in colder temperatures. A lot of vehicles in the day used 10w-30 which could be why it was a bit better to ensure your engine was warmed up before driving it, but I still prefer making sure the oil is flowing through it before I start pushing it in the cold. With VVT, I still think of the engine as delicate and want to ensure that nothing will push it over the edge and result in costly repair down the road.
cp-the-nerd and taohid like this.

Current Vehicles
2011 Chevy Malibu 1LT (LTZ) Silver Ice Metallic / Cocoa-Cashmere 2.4L
2003 Chevy Impala Base Bronzemist Metallic 3.4L - Second Daily Driver
1986 Chevy S-10 Light Blue Metallic 2.8L w/Western Isarmatic Mark III Plow - Damaged from engine fire, under repair.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Traded
2005 Chevy Impala Comfort Plus Base Light Driftwood Metallic 3.4L - Primary Driver
1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S Light Adriatic Metallic 3.1L - Primary
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I personally would not go 15,000 miles between oil changes. I'm not saying it's necessarily a high risk to your engine since the oil manufacturer makes the claim, but definitely keep a close eye on the oil at 10k and beyond.

2017 Chevy SS Sedan
6.2L LS3 V8/6-Speed Manual
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Garage

Fully synthetic oil flows more easily at lower temperatures than conventional oil or synthetic-blend oil.

Most of an engine's mechanical wear happens during cold starts.

Better oil protects from wear better.

Do the math. Figure out the cost of oil changes for the next 50,ooo miles by using intervals like the old 3ooo-mile OCI, the newer 5ooo-mile OCI, or even a 7ooo-mile OCI, using both kinds of oil (syn and blend). Once you see what the small difference is over the life of the car, using the good stuff isn't all that much more expensive, and it probably protects a lot better than the little bit of $$$ you'd save. Cheap insurance if you ask me!

The reason oil needs to be changed is not because it stops lubricating. It's because the additives are no longer effective enough at doing their job.
SilverSport, !Tommy and taohid like this.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Tommy View Post
Heh, before I actually saw it here, I was gonna ask if you were watching Scotty Kilmer.

First off, Amazon Basics like he said is made by Warren Oil. They also make a lot of other oils too like Autoquest by Meijer and that stuff is pretty cheap as well, about $18 for 5 quart full synthetic and also has the Dexos approval on it. Even with the 2.4, I've never tried it even though I'm sure it's probably fine. I put Autoquest into my S-10 and it hasn't had an issue whatsoever. I generally stick to Mobil 1 on the 'Bu though.

Don't buy the annual protection though, you're just wasting your money. Unless you're literally on the freeway all the time, it's best to save a bit of money and go advanced full synthetic, either the gray or the gold version from Mobil 1. It's cheaper and either way, you'll have to change your oil as often. I personally don't recommend going over 7000 miles between oil changes. That'll get you about 15-20% oil life remaining on your oil life monitor. To me, the oil is pretty dirty even by that amount of miles and yes, it means the oil is doing its job but it also means that it's starting to break down a bit by all the contaminates and the more and more it continues, the less effective it will become.

But in my personal opinion, oil changes are cheap insurance to ensure you have maximum protection in your engine as oil starts breaking down and doesn't lubricate as well anymore. I don't generally have a set time when I change the oil but I would always say that changing it before winter is also a good bet if you're getting close to your service mileage, especially if you live in a cold climate. You want the best oil protection you can get and also with fresher oil, your viscosity won't be as affected as used oil.

I don't care what anyone says, when it's 0 degrees outside, I always start and let the car run a for a few minutes before I hop in and start driving it. Sure, it's probably why most newer cars use a thinner oil so that it lubes better hence something like 5w, the lower the number, the better it protects in colder temperatures. A lot of vehicles in the day used 10w-30 which could be why it was a bit better to ensure your engine was warmed up before driving it, but I still prefer making sure the oil is flowing through it before I start pushing it in the cold. With VVT, I still think of the engine as delicate and want to ensure that nothing will push it over the edge and result in costly repair down the road.
Thanks for explaining briefly. And yes, I saw his video about Amazon oil. So, One more question, I rather go with fully synthetic other than high mileage synthetic?(both are fully synthetic and same price)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Garage

To the best of my knowledge, "high mileage" oil is a blend.
taohid likes this.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
Fully synthetic oil flows more easily at lower temperatures than conventional oil or synthetic-blend oil.

Most of an engine's mechanical wear happens during cold starts.

Better oil protects from wear better.

Do the math. Figure out the cost of oil changes for the next 50,ooo miles by using intervals like the old 3ooo-mile OCI, the newer 5ooo-mile OCI, or even a 7ooo-mile OCI, using both kinds of oil (syn and blend). Once you see what the small difference is over the life of the car, using the good stuff isn't all that much more expensive, and it probably protects a lot better than the little bit of $$$ you'd save. Cheap insurance if you ask me!

The reason oil needs to be changed is not because it stops lubricating. It's because the additives are no longer effective enough at doing their job.
I do not really care about money about changing oil more often. I was more if I don't need that often. And I change my oil myself so, it isn't too much for me. But I was more concerning should I use just synthetic or high mileage synthetic? As I told, I got about 15 mpg in the city and about 30 mpg on the highway. rn my car mileage 105k. and it running great.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 02:53 AM
CMF Veteran Member

if you have minor leaks or such perhaps High Mileage but I would stick with the regular Full Synthetic motor oil...whatever brand or type you pick, shop the sales and use the rebates and stock up when you can.

I don't know if you have a Farm and Fleet or similar near you but their Full Synthetic (made by Citgo I understand) is on sale starting today for $2.50 a quart and their Citgo brand Superguard is on sale with the rebate for $1.50 a quart..hard to beat those prices when you are being price conscious for what seem s to be a full synthetic motor oil with a good reputation at places like Bob Is The Oil Guy website.

Make sure you are buying a good filter as well...

Good luck with your choice,

Bill
taohid likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in