Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

2010 Malibu Resurrection

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  repairman54 
#1 ·
Good day everyone,

Welcome to my first post on this forum. Been a Chevy owner for years but this is the first Malibu I have gotten and we'll see if I regret it. I have a 2010 Malibu 2LT with the 2.4L vin B motor with 113k miles on it. Exterior has blemishes but is still nice and interior has usual ware and tare. I acquired this car for a few hundred bucks because the motor is shot. By shot, I mean it is shot as in the block is shot and the heads are shot due to a timing chain issue that went south. General discussion time. I know there are a few junk yards around here that I could get a used motor for around $700 and I have the ability to change it myself. I could also replace the motor with a "0" mile motor that's been completely rebuilt. OR I could part it out. I have an issue parting out a car that only has 113k miles on it so I am asking for advice on what experience can provide me. Should I invest $1k-$1500 into this car for motor work or is it not worth it having 113k miles already and being a 2.4L motor? What issues will I run into while doing this and should anything be changed? I am willing to invest some money into it for upgrades if it would be worth it (like if the V6 is a smarter option than the I4) or anything like that. I am an average DIY with access to car lifts and other shop tools for replacing a motor if that is the way forward. I got the car to replace the motor so my wife could have it but that is why I'm turning to you guys for the experience. I just separated out of the Marine Corps so I don't have a ton of money to throw at it but a couple grand if needed can make it run. Than you for your time and assistance.

See less See more
#2 ·
4 speed or 6 speed trans ? 4 speed is way more durable than the 6 speed in those earlier years unless the 6 speed trans was rebuilt with the new upgraded wave plate.

#3 ·
@kratos

Your duplicate thread was deleted. Please post only one for the same issue or question.

In that thread, another member who was obviously not concerned with knowing what he's talking about, suggested getting the V6. It's not that easy or cheap like it was in days gone by.

#5 · (Edited)
Wave plate is internal and is a trans. rebuild job. Swapping 6 to 4 trans or motor for that matter is not a easy job BTW and not worth it IMO. If body is clean and rust free dropping in a rebuilt drivetrain may be feasible if the costs can be justified and your looking to run it 150k miles. I would not chance the existing trans at that mileage without knowing it's history.

#6 ·
I know Repairman54 said it would be a complete rebuild but I saw a video on YouTube that shows how to replace the 3-5-R wave plate without ripping apart too much of the transmission and looks fairly simple. Is this accurate, would it be as simple as they show or no? Just curious because if that wave plate is the biggest problem to this transmission and I can replace it myself for a $50 plate kit then why not just do that since I have to pull the engine anyways? Any advice?

#7 ·
No trans advice from me, That's one of the few things I leave to the pro, I just drop the units off and exchange them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.