Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

It's crushed: The life of an '09 Malibu

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  DrivenDaily 
#1 ·
On jan 1st had tree fall on my cars . The Malibu was totaled . The 14 Equinox with 14000 miles had $8000 in damage . And its fixed .

The life of the Malibu . Was good car bought at 50000 miles in 2012. Had all wheel bearings replaced around 80000 miles ( I do pairs when 1 goes) .lower control arms 2 sets front and 1 set rear, 2 sets pads and rotors (First at 50000 miles ) and a new header cat due to rust ($800) And 2 sets tires . A headlight harness . Good car never left us down . at 90000 Miles I started to use it for work . At 120000 it was stripped and crushed at a Philly PA wrecking yard .

Id buy another have be v6 . As with all 4cyl (I don't due turbo ) it was lazy come paired to our 99 we had .

Its missed the 24 MPG (what got even at 50000 miles ) was nice over the 15 mpg I get on the Silverado that replaced it .

#2 ·
just get one with the GDI engine and have a nice day!

PS.. nothing wrong with a turbocharger..

#4 ·
Sorry to hear of your loss, but always supportive of getting an NA engine. Nothing wrong with a turbo, but as Scotty said on a Star Trek movie, and I paraphrase here, "The more plumbin' there is, the easier it is to gum up the works!"

Consumer-grade turbos being "maintained" by consumer-grade "appliance mentality" owners are going to be failing at higher-than-normal rates if you ask me, but you didn't, so I'm not saying. ;)

If you don't have a turbo, you don't have all that plumbin' or any of the programming in the ECM to deal with when it fails or just doesn't know what to do so it puts you in limp mode. And you won't have a super-heated knuckle-blistering device under the hood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.