Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help! Locked keys in car

66K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  TheCapnVideo 
#1 · (Edited)
• Keys are in ignition turned to ON (was performing tire position relearn)
• closed door out of habit, not realizing it had locked the doors when pressing fob buttons for relearn mode
• disconnected negative battery cable to save battery
• when finished for the night I closed the hood, not thinking I may need battery power to open doors

Can I jimmy something into the door seal area to get the door open? What would be a good, stiff material?

Perhaps the most important question at this point: Will pulling the front *inside* door handle unlock the door like in Chrysler vehicles?

Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 ·
Gen7 does not have the 2-pull feature.

A locksmith can call GM to get the key cut code using your VIN and cut a new key, which you can use in the driver's door to unlock it. If you don't currently have a spare key, this will solve that dilemma and save you from bending the door or scratching something.

If you have a spare fob, you might be able to reach up inside the engine bay to provide power to the system using a jumper cable of some sort, then use the fob to unlock it.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the key info. I do have a spare key...it's in the glove box! No spare fob tho.

I bought the car in Dec knowing it needed work, so it's been sitting until I had a chance to get started. It's been warm out and I'm a teacher on spring break, so I started working on it. I don't know why I didn't think to put the spare key in the house, except that I'm not actually driving the car yet.

Upon further inspection of the driver door, it appears someone has attempted to get into it previously, as it's slightly bent out and there are abrasions in the paint above the door where a tool/coat hanger was slid back and forth. I think I'm going to try this...

#4 ·
To get into the car, use a plastic wedge, or wood I guess, not metal. to crack the seal then slide in a blood pressure cuff (deflated of course) pump the cuff up and it will hold the door open enough to reach in with a coat hanger to grab the door lock button and lift. If your battery was connected you could reach in and just press the unlock button.

I have a different dilemma, I had a set of keys cut at the hardware store six months ago and they all worked just fine, today i had another made and when I turn the key ... nuthin ... the security logo light is now lit. yay.

#8 ·
Update...I got the driver door unlocked using a wooden wedge, a metal hanger, and a length of twine with a slip knot in the center. I learned the trick on YouTube. With the top of the door wedged outward, I fished the twine diagonally behind the door so I could work it down until the loop was over/next to the lock knob at the top of the door panel. Then I carefully directed the coat hanger (straightened) down thru the loop and manipulated the loop to get it around the knob. I had an assistant hold the hanger still while I pulled the ends of the twine to tighten the knot around the knob. Pulled up the twine and Bingo! It was unlocked just like that! It took some time and a lot of careful movement, but was worth saving $75 to have a locksmith come out.
Plus the feeling of victory was indescribeable!
I would have called insurance but only have storage on it. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.