Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Need help identifying trim piece/cover

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  !Tommy 
#1 ·
I found this little plastic piece in the back of the center console. It appears to be a cover that snaps in place but I can't find where it belongs. Anybody recognize this part?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I can't tell what it could possibly be and I've gutted my entire interior. I don't think it looks like anything *important*, but I could be wrong. I'd say you're certainly right about it clipping into place, it looks almost like it is a cover to something because of the clip on the top and the little lip part on the bottom. From what I can tell, it's definitely not part of the center console because I've completely disassembled it but I have the full power package. Not sure if you do too or not which may or may not make a difference. It has nothing to do with the rear seat either. Honestly, I'm stumped!

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. I actually found it in the small storage cubby above the rear cup holder that swings out of the center console. The cup holder appears to be missing some sort of spring mechanism that holds it closed, so it just falls open. I've removed it and found no loose parts, but there looks to be a spot where some kind of spring should connect. I wonder if this mystery piece goes behind the cup holder somehow? I'm usually good at determining how/if things go together, but haven't figured this one out. Any chance you could take a pic of what's behind your open cupholder and post it here?
Thanks again!
Mike

#4 ·
I'll try and get to it on Tuesday if I can. You can actually pull off the back panel though. Just start at the bottom by the floor and it should just snap right off as you lift it towards you, that's how you access your arm rest screws as well so if you ever needed to replace it, that's how you'd do it. If I recall, there's nothing behind the cup holder as it just sort of snaps back up into place when you put it up or just dangles there when you bring it out.

This may or may not be a moot point, but what trim level is your 'Bu? Do you have an LS, LT, or an LTZ? That might help determine if it is possibly used to cover an option not available on your vehicle. I'm looking at my pictures that I took during my color conversion process and I don't think it could be part of the shift assembly but it's hard to know exactly for sure.

#5 · (Edited)
Slight adjustment to removing the rear panel from the center console:

Unsnap from the top, tip the top toward the back like you're opening a door, then lift the tabs out of the bottom.

Edit: added image...

Red circles locate the top snaps. Yellow circles locate the bottom tabs that need to come out and go in from the top.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.