Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

3.6L timing chain issue

45K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  denmas 
#1 ·
I was doing some searching on the forum and came across a thread that mentioned the 3.6L having problems with the timing chains stretching. Is there certain years that this is a problem? I have a 2009. Is there anything to check or watch? Is there anything that can be done about this? Also is this an interference engine that will have major problems if my timing chain does stretch? Just a little worried after reading all this and searching around.

#3 ·
I was reading that high oil change intervals is what causes this, or at least that's what GM is saying from what I have read. I didn't really get that because I'm pretty sure my manual says every 3000 miles. I was reading where some were going over 10,000 miles.

#4 ·
#1. Keep oil change intervals no longer than 5000-6000 miles.

#2. Use synthetic oil. GM tells its customers to use "Dexos 1 Certified" oil which is fancy terminology for synthetic quality.

#3. 3.6L recommends midgrade (89 octane) fuel. Also, don't buy bargain gas to save 5 freakin cents per gallon. Get Shell, BP, or Exxon fuel.

Follow those simple rules and you'll never have a problem. In fact, you'll also get better than advertised fuel economy.

The way the timing chain problem occurs is when the engine eats a few quarts of oil and the pressure-driven chain tensioners begin to slack. At that point the chain will stretch and eventually skip teeth.

It eats oil when people use cheap stuff and run their car 8000-10,000 miles between changes. The 3.6L is a performance engine thats slightly dumbed down for family vehicle duty. As such, anyone should take care of it like a performance engine with good gas and oil. In a society where people can't even be bothered to keep their tires filled to proper pressure, this led to a common "problem" with the engine due to poor maintenance.

#6 ·
Wow, love that long-term report! Thanks for stopping by and sharing that.

#8 ·
using a superior real synthetic oil is smart. you can use 10-30 when using Amsoil signature series as it pours at very low temps WITHOUT the typical pour point depressants that quickly degrade, it pumps easily as well. its high TBN which means xtra protection needed for long drains is there. few oils compare. pennzoil's new GTL "synthetic looks good, but they don't give as many specs to compare to a benchmark oil like Amsoil!

#9 ·
I use only Shell Plus and switched to Mobile 1 full synthetic oil 3 years ago and now have timing change problem. Dealer said it will take $400 and 3 to 4 days to fix. Will cost $1800 if they have to replace parts? Can anyone elaborate on this please?

I have only 61,000 miles on my 2008 LTZ and has been a great car until now.

Stupid Question is, Can this be covered by powertrain warranty?

#11 ·
They will almost absolutely be replacing parts, otherwise I don't know what the hell they're doing with the car.

Basically, the plastic timing chain tensioners wear out (by and large the result of oil deprivation over long oil changes) and the chain slacks, stretching and skipping teeth. This is terrible for the engine. If caught early, the car will just need the timing chain and tensioners. Regardless, this requires dropping the engine and tearing into it. It's an expensive repair.

Do what Elvis suggested and see if there's extended coverage or if GM will help with the cost.

#10 ·
Have your VIN handy and call GM customer service. Tell them your situation and ask if this is covered by any "special coverage" or extended warranty. GM replaced many of these chain sets free of charge in the past. Ask if yours was changed when the previous owner had it. If not, they might give you a freebie.

#14 ·
a little note on todays "synthetic" oils, they are severely hydrocracked CRUDE oil, NOT the super clean superior laboratory derived lubricants they were in 1999 + prior when the highly refined crude oil was legally labeled synthetic!! miles driven is the not the only factor, short trips especially in colder climates where the oil don't get hot enough to burn off moisture etc. the design of the system could be somewhat at fault as well or GM would not be fixing anything for FREE!!!

#17 ·
AMSOL is an excellent high temperature oil but in Alaska Mobil 1 flows much faster at -67F, my Tacoma engine was struggling in early morning starts. Sorry I felt the difference and unless you've been there experiencing the cold weather well you just don't know. I changed out the Amsol after a week to Mobil 1 Extended and significant difference in early morning starts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.