Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

3.6L interference engine or not?

75K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Chrischris70 
#1 ·
Im curious if anyone knows if the 3.6l V6 has a timing chain or belt, and if it were to break, is it an interference or non-interference engine? Basically, if the chain (I assume) breaks, will it mess up the engine?

#12 ·
I never meant to imply Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc. never use timing chains--they absolutely do, in some designs--but it's not overly common, or their norm. For instance, the Toyota 3.0L & 3.3L version V6 always used a belt, then in the last couple of years when they came out with the eventual replacement for both with a new 3.5L it now also used a chain. But that's not overly widespread, by any means, and certainly nothing like the GM "norm" of timing chains.

So it's still a very common question from anyone coming from years of Accords, etc. that have never used anything but the mainstay timing belts, when coming to a GM or any other vehicle that doesn't.

#13 ·
That may be true. I don't know much about Honda or Toyota's use of chains vs. belts. It still isn't true for Nissan. My understanding is that chains are the default with Nissan, and have been for a while now. It didn't used to be that way, but they changed because of issues with belts breaking and their interference engines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.