2011 LTZ Electrical Issues!! - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Exclamation 2011 LTZ Electrical Issues!!

Hi everyone.
Hoping to find some answers to a very strange issue that popped up recently on my wifes 2011 Malibu LTZ. About a month ago during heavy rain she had a pretty bad water leak. After lots of searching I discovered that her sunroof drain hose had come undone. So water was just running into the headliner and down the A-pillar. I reset the hose problem solved. That is when the weird stuff started. My wife the other day hit her high beams out on a country road and that in-turn turned on the wipers. There was no way to turn them off until you turned the car off AND opened the door. They do eventually turn off after quite some time (20 mins last time I timed it). I got in and drove and discovered that when this happens the headlights dim, the horn stops working. They eventually stop. Right before they stop the headlights come back to full power and then shortly after wipers stop. After they stop I am then able to control them with the wiper control through all phases. Horn, high beams, turn signal are the only ways that I have been able to recreate the problem. HELP! I don't know where to start with this.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Garage
Re: 2011 LTZ Electrical Issues!!

Water intrusion is not a good thing with delicate circuitry, which is what our cars have all over them.

First thing I'd recommend is find out all the places the water got to and see what electrical connections may have gotten wet. Unplug and plug them back in several times, taking special care if you're dealing with airbags. Also check the BCM to be sure it hasn't gotten wet. Even if it has, unplug the connectors several times.

The hose that you reconnected may come loose again. You might want to put a short piece in between the two to lengthen it so it has a lesser chance of coming apart again.

Additionally, check the battery thoroughly. If it's okay on a test it still may be too weak to keep things going the way they should. Batteries for other members have tested "good" but when replaced all of their electronic gremlins disappeared.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in