Major Electrical Issue. Brought to dealership. Hopefully this issue is fixed. - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By SBUBandit
  • 1 Post By cp-the-nerd
  • 1 Post By AnnaBu2012
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
CMF Senior Member
 
AnnaBu2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Staten Island, New York
Posts: 120
Garage
Major Electrical Issue. Brought to dealership. Hopefully this issue is fixed.

The reason I'm posting this in the General Discussion section is because the problem no longer exists and hopefully it doesn't come back. I've fallen victim to the "service esc, service pwr steering, service traction" yadda yadda yadda. Scary experience because I was on a busy highway going about 60mph and the car completely shut down, lost power steering and braking, all that good stuff. Turned the key after I pulled over and it started back up after a few attempts. Called the dealership and brought it in the next day (yesterday). They had the car all day and they may have figured out what was wrong. They said the throttle body, the traction control module, the torque sensor, the anti-theft system, the MAF sensor, the ignition switch and the spark plugs (which were supposedly corroded) were all no good and needed to be replaced. They also suggested that my air filter isn't what should be used for my car and replaced it with an AC Delco filter. I originally had a Fram. I'm glad I got the extended warranty because I didn't have to pay a dime and my $199.99 diagnostic fee was waived. Not exactly sure if this is the cause of the problem but hopefully this won't return. I was a little less than pleased with all this, however I have good faith that this problem won't come back. I'm surprised that Chevy hasn't issued a recall for this problem considering how many TSB's I've read.

I've also had all aftermarket parts removed before this incident occurred. No HIDs, no LEDs, all bone stock.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2012 Malibu LT 2.4L LE5 L4.

- Custom True Dual Exhaust Conversion with Walker Quiet-Flow Camaro Style Muffler.

- Sony XAV68-BT Touchscreen Stereo

- Weathertech Floormats

Last edited by AnnaBu2012; 04-10-2016 at 02:07 PM. Reason: needed to add more info
AnnaBu2012 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 08:46 PM
CMF Rookie Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1
Re: Major Electrical Issue. Brought to dealership. Hopefully this issue is fixed.

I found this while working on my 2010 Malibu. The car had multiple issues with the electrical system, they were all intermittent problems turning on various service lights, inoperative cruise control and other things would happen when I would drive the car. The main fuse box under the hood had several steaks and blotches of corrosion on it. You have to remove the fuse box from the car. Take several pictures of the fuse and relay layout. Carefully remove and layout the fuses and relays, so you can put them back. If you look at the terminal side of some of the relays, you'll probably see corrosion on them, clean that off. Knock the bolts out that hold the wiring connectors on. Smash the tapered side of the square headed inserts that hold the block together. Remove the inserts and gently pry the block apart. There, you will likely see the green corrosion that is causing your electrical gremlins. Clean it off with some battery terminal cleaner and a wire brush. Brush on the terminal ends to clean them as well. I sprayed everything with non-conductive Corrosion X, (a great product). Put it back together, the inserts are okay to re-use. I hope this will solve many peoples problems. This part should be recalled, but I'm sure it wont.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160405_211002.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	34329  
Brian Atkinson is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 07:17 PM
CMF Veteran Member
 
SBUBandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lapeer, MI
Posts: 674
Garage
Re: Major Electrical Issue. Brought to dealership. Hopefully this issue is fixed.

Corrosion on electrical contacts is a well known issue with these cars, and folks have reported some wild issues which ended up being corrosion. I'm thinking Anna's car was fixed more as a side effect than a direct fix. Since you didn't have to pay, its all good, but they scammed the sh*t out of whoever covers that warranty. They just replaced everything they thought they could get away with and get paid for. Hopefully it doesn't come back anytime soon and the car has some new parts out of the deal.
cp-the-nerd and FrankTA2 like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SBUBandit is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 10:48 AM
CMF Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 60
Dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBu2012 View Post
The reason I'm posting this in the General Discussion section is because the problem no longer exists and hopefully it doesn't come back. I've fallen victim to the "service esc, service pwr steering, service traction" yadda yadda yadda. Scary experience because I was on a busy highway going about 60mph and the car completely shut down, lost power steering and braking, all that good stuff. Turned the key after I pulled over and it started back up after a few attempts. Called the dealership and brought it in the next day (yesterday). They had the car all day and they may have figured out what was wrong. They said the throttle body, the traction control module, the torque sensor, the anti-theft system, the MAF sensor, the ignition switch and the spark plugs (which were supposedly corroded) were all no good and needed to be replaced. They also suggested that my air filter isn't what should be used for my car and replaced it with an AC Delco filter. I originally had a Fram. I'm glad I got the extended warranty because I didn't have to pay a dime and my $199.99 diagnostic fee was waived. Not exactly sure if this is the cause of the problem but hopefully this won't return. I was a little less than pleased with all this, however I have good faith that this problem won't come back. I'm surprised that Chevy hasn't issued a recall for this problem considering how many TSB's I've read.

I've also had all aftermarket parts removed before this incident occurred. No HIDs, no LEDs, all bone stock.
Is the dealer that you take your car to, Manfredi?
FrankTA2 is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator
 
cp-the-nerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 4,262
Garage
Re: Major Electrical Issue. Brought to dealership. Hopefully this issue is fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBUBandit View Post
Corrosion on electrical contacts is a well known issue with these cars, and folks have reported some wild issues which ended up being corrosion. I'm thinking Anna's car was fixed more as a side effect than a direct fix. Since you didn't have to pay, its all good, but they scammed the sh*t out of whoever covers that warranty. They just replaced everything they thought they could get away with and get paid for. Hopefully it doesn't come back anytime soon and the car has some new parts out of the deal.
Absolutely 100% agree! Don't ever go to that dealer for non-warranty repairs. They either have no idea what they're doing, or they're scum bags taking customers for all they've got.
FrankTA2 likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 Chevy SS Sedan
6.2L LS3 V8/6-Speed Manual
cp-the-nerd is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
CMF Senior Member
 
AnnaBu2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Staten Island, New York
Posts: 120
Garage
Re: Dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTA2 View Post
Is the dealer that you take your car to, Manfredi?
Yep Manfredi is where I go to.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2012 Malibu LT 2.4L LE5 L4.

- Custom True Dual Exhaust Conversion with Walker Quiet-Flow Camaro Style Muffler.

- Sony XAV68-BT Touchscreen Stereo

- Weathertech Floormats
AnnaBu2012 is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 05:17 PM
CMF Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 60
Re: Dealership.

Be careful when you take your car to them for one issue, that they don't try to tell you there are "other" things that your car needs. Manfredi use to own multiple brand dealerships. They sold all of them except for the Chevrolet brand a few years ago. About 4 years ago, my sister had issues with her Toyota Avalon, the check engine light came on, it had 3 different codes. She took the car to Manfredi Toyota and $2,000.00 later the car was repaired. The engine light came back on about 2 months later, it was for the oxygen sensor, on the radiator side, I replaced it and reset the code. 6 months later the same 3 codes, that she originally took it to Toyota came back. They said it was different parts that needed replacement, including the oxygen sensor that I replaced. My sister requested the old parts that were going to be replaced be given to her after the repair. The oxygen sensor they gave her was an "old" rusty one, that was not the one I just put in. They charged her another $1,500.00. I don't trust them, and if you ever google Manfredi and read "reviews" on them, there are many stories like this. Just my 2 cents.
FrankTA2 is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
CMF Senior Member
 
AnnaBu2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Staten Island, New York
Posts: 120
Garage
Re: Dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTA2 View Post
Be careful when you take your car to them for one issue, that they don't try to tell you there are "other" things that your car needs. Manfredi use to own multiple brand dealerships. They sold all of them except for the Chevrolet brand a few years ago. About 4 years ago, my sister had issues with her Toyota Avalon, the check engine light came on, it had 3 different codes. She took the car to Manfredi Toyota and $2,000.00 later the car was repaired. The engine light came back on about 2 months later, it was for the oxygen sensor, on the radiator side, I replaced it and reset the code. 6 months later the same 3 codes, that she originally took it to Toyota came back. They said it was different parts that needed replacement, including the oxygen sensor that I replaced. My sister requested the old parts that were going to be replaced be given to her after the repair. The oxygen sensor they gave her was an "old" rusty one, that was not the one I just put in. They charged her another $1,500.00. I don't trust them, and if you ever google Manfredi and read "reviews" on them, there are many stories like this. Just my 2 cents.
That's a disgusting way to do business, how unprofessional. Its so difficult to find trustworthy shops but I'll only be going to Manfredi for warranty covered service from now on. I wanted to see if they could solve my leaking sunroof problem but I'll see if I can do it myself. Thank you for sharing your experience with them. Im a bit shocked and disappointed that they'd go that far to screw somebody. I guess thats why people call them "stealerships"
FrankTA2 likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2012 Malibu LT 2.4L LE5 L4.

- Custom True Dual Exhaust Conversion with Walker Quiet-Flow Camaro Style Muffler.

- Sony XAV68-BT Touchscreen Stereo

- Weathertech Floormats
AnnaBu2012 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HID install (DRL's and flicker issue fixed) macdaddyko Modifications (Generation 8) 6 08-31-2015 01:48 PM
Possible electrical issue... [email protected] Problems/Service Issues/Troubleshooting (Generation 7) 0 04-10-2015 04:41 PM
Major or minor issue? Chevyguy218 Problems/Service Issues/Troubleshooting (Generations 5 & 6) 1 05-19-2014 04:14 PM
2011 Malibu Transmission Issue Major Bummer 2Malibu4us Problems/Service Issues/Troubleshooting (Generation 7) 141 11-07-2013 09:06 AM
Electrical Issue...Anyone with same problem? kajamo240 Do It Yourself Maintenance (Generation 7) 3 11-20-2009 09:48 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome