Bent Muffler - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Bent Muffler

Hey everyone,

So, while working on replacing the rotors and brake pads, I decided to see if I can align my exhaust pipe, which is bent near the rear tire.

Well, evidently the previous owner backed up into something and bend the exhaust pipe back, the driver side muffler mount is no longer connected to the muffler (but seems OK). The pipe going to the muffler (not the exhaust pipe) bent the muffler inward. Is it OK to try to bend the muffler back so I can align and secure it?

I'll try to get y'all an image.

Thanks,
Johnathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 05:58 AM
Administrator

Garage
Re: Bent Muffler

Based on your description, so long as you don't create a hole in the pipe or housing, bend away!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

@DrivenDaily,

Thanks for that.

BTW, attached are some images. Apologies that they might not be as clear as I'd like them to be.

My plan is to use my ratchet straps to slowly bend the muffler back to its original position... just have to find something to attach them too outside the vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0497.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	37337   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0498.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	37345   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0499.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	37353  

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Well, I was unable to bend the pipe back to its original form. I don't have the muscle to do it. So, I thought I'd use my ratchet strapped secured to the house... while that allowed me to bend the pipe and all into a better position, it wouldn't stay by itself. So, to test it out for a while, I secured it with zip ties across several positions. It is working. So, I'm going to get some large metal hose clamps that you use for dryer hoses and secure it that way. Cheaper than buying a new muffler and pipes and even cheaper still versus getting a junkyard one.

I'll let ya know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in