What's this trim piece called? - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

What's this trim piece called?

Hey guys, haven't had a chance to call the GM garage yet to see if they can tell me. This piece is broken on both sides, well the clips on the back are anyways. Is this common? They are both broken in the same place, maybe the sun did it? Does anyone happen to have a part number for this trim piece on each side of the dash, or at least know what it's called so I may be able to look it up? Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20170705_191740.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	50673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20170705_191743.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	50681  

2012 Malibu LT 2.4L in White Diamond Tricoat

Last edited by masonp; 07-05-2017 at 07:24 PM. Reason: correcting title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 08:03 PM
CMF Rookie Member

Re: What's this trim piece called?

Mine is broke on one side. I plan to just add a dab of contact cement to the back of it and stick it back down.
And no I don't know what it is call either.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 03:29 AM
Administrator

Garage

In my 2011 it's broken on the driver's side but secured on the passenger's side. As @Landen48 suggests, one of these days I'll just put something behind it like some blue tack. It'll hold it securely enough to keep it there, yet allow me to remove it if I ever need to.
!Tommy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 08:11 AM
CMF Veteran Member

when you remove the a pillar cover the tab gets caught and breaks off

they're just called left and right molding, parts 14 and 15 here: INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENTS for 2010 Chevrolet Malibu

FWIW, I used Loctite Super Glue Plastics Bonding System with Activator 2-Gram since mine were broken off too https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Y3LHXW...a-320192516791
cp-the-nerd likes this.

Paul - 2010 Malibu

Last edited by TheSilverOne; 07-06-2017 at 08:14 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Thanks for all the replies guys, I know of one of these in a junkyard I may see if I can salvage them from it. If not I will most likely be sticking them back on in some fashion as 50 bucks a piece is a lot of money for that small plastic thing. I wonder if it ever would need removed in the future, or if I could use some sort of more permanent adhesive.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 04:38 AM
Certified Technician

that would be an "accent molding"

Keeper of Eternal Flame, and two cans Eternal lighter fluid.
Holder of the Sacred Password to Identifix.

"Never laugh at your wife's choices. You are one of them."

2011 LS, 2.4L, six-speed ATX
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I call it instrument panel dash molding and there are several different colors. There's silver which is used in LS/LT and always with the gray interior, then there's milano which is the light wood grain color used in the LT2 models that aren't gray inside, and then there's khoki which is the dark wood grain used in the LTZ model but then there's also a dark silver used exclusively in the LTZ model sporting the brick/ebony interior. Personally, I think the prices these pieces go for are outrageous but must be in high demand which people take advantage of. But the bad part is getting the door trim pieces to match if you decide to change out your trim along the dash because those don't come as separate pieces so either you have to find someone willing to swap with you or buy a whole new door panel for it.

Edit: And you should be just fine to use permanent adhesive on the two arch pieces unless you're like me and decided to paint your interior in which it's a lot cleaner to just remove the pieces prior to painting. But if you're never going to do anything like that, then there's no reason to ever have to remove the pieces. In fact I think the dashboard panels just come with them already installed as they're not truly meant to be removable even though it's possible, it's a huge pain in the rear to do it. So yeah, unless you're going to paint the interior or you want to change them to wood grain, permanent adhesive should be the perfect solution.
masonp likes this.

Last edited by !Tommy; 07-08-2017 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Added extra information
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Thanks again guys, I think I will just end up using a contact cement or epoxy and sticking them on permanently!
!Tommy likes this.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Might just as well! It's not required to come off in any sort of service for the vehicle as I've taken all this apart and it's just nothing more than cosmetics.
masonp likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 04:07 PM
CMF Junior Member

I used Loctite to secure mine. The material they used to make those trim pieces is so brittle.. I removed my center console to reveal the screw that holds the pieces actually in place and it was cracked and just fell off - pain in the behind cheap plastic.

*However the Loctite holds up well and I found if you really need to remove the trim after you have applied the glue you can use those cheap trim remover tools to pry it off again without doing damage.
!Tommy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in