Has anyone seen rust in this location? - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Has anyone seen rust in this location?

Just wanted to know if this was a common problem on these cars and if there is a drain going down there and pooling water into this spot. It was never hit in this location, and Chevy refuses to do anything about it. I am trying to look on diagrams, but I can't see anything there. Going to dig a little deeper into it and see why it happened.

Also, the car is doing a weird pulling sensation when there is a dip in the road. Nothing is loose or looks broken as far as ball joints go, maybe needs an alignment or just a bad suspension design...

Just did an oil change, and it is running like a top!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 10:44 AM
CMF Junior Member

Garage
Re: Has anyone seen rust in this location?

I was just about to post the same thing...a rust spot has developed along the bottom side skirt, just across from the rear driver side door. The passenger side isn't as bad, but has some paint starting to bubble up. I took it to a body shop to get a quote on fixing, but the owner explained that the problem is due to the pinch welds that the factory put on the metal strip there, allowing for moisture to get into the pockets between, and that it's basically a case of obsolescence from the start. He explained everything he would have to do in thorough detail, and ended up recommending not going through with it as the final cost was about $1500 to do both sides. He also said it would basically be a cosmetic issue for a long time before it became anything more serious from a structural standpoint, and suggested possibly applying some simple rust inhibitor. Anyone else run into this, or have any suggestions?

Driver Side

Passenger Side

2008 Malibu LS (Dark Gray), 3.5L V6 (Government 1FL)
Tint (15% front/15% rear)
Bowties PlastiDipped (Anthracite Gray)
Pioneer front/rear speakers & head unit
Calipers painted gloss black

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Past cars:
1988 Pontiac Grand Am
2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Garage

I've heard of and seen a product on some of these "gearhead" TV shows that you paint over rust and it is supposed to actually stop it from rusting further and keep the painted surface from rusting. I can't recall the name. I think it looks black when it "cures" or dries, not sure if it can be painted over but I think it can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 02:57 PM
Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
I've heard of and seen a product on some of these "gearhead" TV shows that you paint over rust and it is supposed to actually stop it from rusting further and keep the painted surface from rusting. I can't recall the name. I think it looks black when it "cures" or dries, not sure if it can be painted over but I think it can.
it's called POR-15

Stop Rust with POR-15 - Professional automotive and industrial coatings for permanent corrosion protection.

Tip.. use their topcoat and then paint your color over that.
We did the alignment rack in POR15, then put tractor enamel on over it.. the tractor enamel didn't stick in a couple spots.

Keeper of Eternal Flame, and two cans Eternal lighter fluid.
Holder of the Sacred Password to Identifix.

"Never laugh at your wife's choices. You are one of them."

2011 LS, 2.4L, six-speed ATX

Last edited by JLDickmon; 08-27-2017 at 03:00 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 02:42 AM
CMF Rookie Member

We have rust starting to form farther down the rocker panel under the passenger door in two spots on our 2013 Eco
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 05:34 PM
CMF Junior Member

This is a very common rust area in older Malibus; I'm a little surprised to see it in a gen 7. It is caused by a sanding like condition brought on by the front tires. Sand, rocks and a combination of rain, possibly salt and other road debris hit this area. In time, this area becomes rusted. The only true way of getting rid of rust is to cut it out; The body repair person will need to cut out this rusted portion of the lower rocker and weld new metal in its place. The auto body person will also need to check behind this area to spot any signs of rust. Make sure that the body shop spells out that they will cut out the rust; Many shops will simply sand the area and re-paint. You might as well flush that money down the toilet, because the rust will surely return with just sanding or applying body filler over it.

I have had a lot of experience with this type of rust, and it can be expensive to fix, let alone there is no guarantee that other areas of the car will also rust. What you can do (if you don't have this rust yet) is to make sure that the car is clean, and apply a generous amount of wax in this area, and around the rim of your wheel openings. A lot of people don't fix this rust as well, as the car may have aged significantly or it has a lot of miles on it.

I also read of a '13 having rust. '13 cars or younger will need to go right back to the dealer, as GM has a specific warranty against corrosion and rust thru. a '13 car should not be rusting at all.

'02 CAMARO SS SOM; 5.7L LS1/FLS6B
'08 TBSS AWD Black Granite Metallic
'15 Malibu LTZ 2LZ Turbo

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 02:31 PM
CMF Rookie Member

I just paid to have this repaired on my 2013 Malibu eco, I did hear that the Buick has the same problem.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 03:17 PM
CMF Rookie Member

close but mine is on passenger door in the area
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 07:06 AM
CMF Senior Member

Garage

Funny to see this post (but not funny to those that have it). My 1967 and 1968 Cadillac Coupe DeVilles had the same problem as did all 67-68 Cad CDV's. The fix that GM did at that time was to drill a small drain hole under the bottom of the rust area after they repaired or replaced the fender. I had a few 67 thru 72 Cads and always drilled a small drain hole there. I think eventually GM added drains holes, wonder why they stopped?

2014 Malibu Eco 2SA Wht diamond
(Electronics & Entertainment, Advanced safety,
leather packages, Cocoa fashion trim, Ambient lighting kit)
2012 Malibu LT White (traded)
2018 Jeep Cherokee Delmonico red 4x4 Tech connect
2018 Ram 1500 White crew cab
Home: SeaRay 410DA
"Linus loves the Malibu"

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 02:17 PM
CMF Junior Member

Garage

I have a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero (same as a 5th Gen Malibu) and that rust spot is now 2 large rust holes behind both doors and the rust is creeping under the doors and up the side.

FIX IT
FIX IT NOW

...or else I'll show you what it could look like
Oshkash and Matthew Edmond like this.

2013 3LTURBO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in