2017 Hybrid - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Question 2017 Hybrid

I own a 2017 Malibu Hybrid
I was wondering has anyone else had any issues with the car accelerating on its own?
Also, I had to replace the battery after only a year. The Tech said that is normal although i am seeing that
it should last at least 6 year or more.
i am beginning to think that the acceleration might have something to do with the battery.
And yes i have brought this to the techs attention several times and they keep saying they cant duplicate it.
any ideas ,,

thank you
Hybrid Mom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 03:09 PM
CMF Rookie Member

Re: 2017 Hybrid

I'm not sure if what we experience with our 2017 MH in this similar respect is the same thing as what you are speaking of or not?

Sometimes when the car is first started for the day, the gas engine will rev-up high and way beyond what is needed to operate the car at lower speeds. This higher revving occurrence doesn't last long or seem to have any effect on the propulsion of the vehicle or adverse effect on stopping or slowing it down? It's like the car is rolling along in neutral and I'm stepping on the gas pedal for a high gas engine RPM (which is all not the case, when driving the car during this involuntary revving occurrence). I think this scenario might be related to quickly heating up the engine or hybrid components, to a degree of optimal performance?

The other reving up issue we regularly have is when slowing down from higher speeds (more times than not, like on freeway); similar to like preparing to exit on an off ramp. We feel and definitely hear a reving, but again seemingly without any additional propulsion of the vehicle or adverse effect on stopping or slowing it down, via braking. It has been mentioned to me on this Forum that this issue could be related to the disengaging of the engine to the electric mode at higher speeds? The Dealership said it could be the regenerative brakes making this noise, but I think that is far off the real reason for this revving feeling/noise. It sounds too much like the gas engine and makes a distinctive and louder noise to that degree accordingly.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:47 AM
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1971jag View Post
I was wondering has anyone else had any issues with the car accelerating on its own?
Also, I had to replace the battery after only a year. The Tech said that is normal although i am seeing that
i am beginning to think that the acceleration might have something to do with the battery.
And yes i have brought this to the techs attention several times and they keep saying they cant duplicate it.
any ideas ,,

thank you
Hybrid Mom
Someone is doing some fibbing or is mistaken here. Back when I had a 1970 Chevy Nova, I had a 12 volt battery lead/acid last for seven years. Most only last 5 years at the best.

Now I know that's not normal, and I must have gotten REAL lucky but yeah, these Hybrid batteries are not lead/acid batteries like most vehicles use to start the motor, so at least 6 years is minimum is what I have heard about these batteries. One year is not normal at all.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 05:05 AM
CMF Junior Member

I'm assuming you replaced the 12V battery and not the high voltage lithium batteries. The 12V battery is an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery. While it is still made of lead and acid, it's not the same construction as a standard 12V lead acid battery. It should actually last longer. But many things affect battery life such as temperature, vibration, and level of charge. I've read on Volt forums about batteries failing in less than 3 years. I've owned two Volts for 3 years each and never had an issue. I think short trips that don't fully charge the battery shorten their life. Or there could be manufacturing issues with a batch of batteries. I think I'm going to replace my Malibu's battery around 3 years just to be on the safe side. I think the technician should have said "this can happen" instead of saying early battery failure is normal.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:07 PM
CMF Senior Member

I'm starting to wonder about the life length of the 12V battery in my MH as well. The car won't be 3 years old for another 8 months, but when I pull up the system voltage monitor, the voltage is all over the place...unlike when the car was new. For the first year or so, it would hover between 12.8 and 13.8 volts. Now, it's anywhere from 12.5 to 15.5...and usually the former. I just had a 12-hour run from Atlanta back to the Milwaukee area, watching it the whole way. For most of the trip, the voltage just laid at 12.5...with an occasional brief jump to 14.3, then quickly falling back to 12.5. That's just too low, and it has me wondering if maybe the battery is dying and weirding out the charge controller. My understanding is that in the MH (as well as the Volt), the 12V battery gets charged directly off of the HV battery through some kind of step-down and then through a dedicated charge controller, rather than a conventional alternator, as the car's only "alternator" is of the HV variety.

Bob
----
'17 Malibu Hybrid
Summit White/Brown
With "Everything"
----
'17 Volt LT
Summit White/Black
Bose, Comfort, Protection,
Lighted Charge Port

Last edited by Dr. Manhattan; 04-23-2019 at 07:46 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 07:17 PM
CMF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Manhattan View Post
I'm starting to wonder about the life length of the 12V battery in my MH as well. The car won't be 3 years old for another 8 months, but when I pull up the system voltage monitor, the voltage is all over the place...
I had a Pontiac back in the late 80's. It had a volt meter on the dash. I once took it in because the voltage was also going all over the place. The dealer said nothing was wrong and that many people bring their cars in for this reason. I had no problems with the battery or charging system that I can ever recall so I guess they were right. I think in future years they removed the volt meter to keep people from thinking something was wrong when they saw fluctuations in the meter. I'm not saying you don't have a possible problem. Just telling my story.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:09 AM
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyRidgeMalibu View Post
I had a Pontiac back in the late 80's. It had a volt meter on the dash. I once took it in because the voltage was also going all over the place. The dealer said nothing was wrong and that many people bring their cars in for this reason. I had no problems with the battery or charging system that I can ever recall so I guess they were right. I think in future years they removed the volt meter to keep people from thinking something was wrong when they saw fluctuations in the meter. I'm not saying you don't have a possible problem. Just telling my story.
No, I get that. And, I'd be willing to just blow it off as "they're all doing that". Hell...maybe they are, but what has me concerned is 1) when it was new, it did not act this way, and 2) my car just recently had a major electrical meltdown out on the road, that lasted almost two weeks (along with the accompanying scramble to get home, and then return to pick up the car).

What I've been seeing here about how the car requires the 12V battery to start/function, plus how the 12V batteries in our MHs are not lasting near long enough, combined with these new, unusual voltage readings...yeah, I'm starting to freak a bit. The MH is our highway car, and we've just bought a house in the Atlanta area. There are lots of MH runs between Milwaukee and Atlanta in our foreseeable future. I'm asking myself if maybe changing out the 12V battery would be prudent right now, but I don't want to have to spend $200-$3xx every two years for peace of mind.

Apologies to the OP for running off topic here. Anything further on this should probably go back to my "shift to park - yikes!" thread.

Bob
----
'17 Malibu Hybrid
Summit White/Brown
With "Everything"
----
'17 Volt LT
Summit White/Black
Bose, Comfort, Protection,
Lighted Charge Port

Last edited by Dr. Manhattan; 04-23-2019 at 08:16 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:09 AM
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1971jag View Post
any ideas ,,

thank you
Hybrid Mom
I have a 2017 with over 80,000 miles, haven't replaced a battery yet, but I get this too. I notice it when driving, and let off gas, it feels like it jumps fwd a bit. I drove some with the information screen on "power" and noticed when it does happen, the battery gauge spikes for a quick moment. It isn't enough to lose control, but I notice it when moving foot from gas to brake. Not sure if speed/type of road has anything to do with it, it may also be when it cycles from gas to battery at same time I let up on it. It happens at least once a week, never have asked dealer about it
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 08:21 PM
CMF Rookie Member

The car will have the sensation of "accelerating on its own" sometimes when I'm coasting. One of the few times the shift between drive modes is perceptible. Not sure it actually results in the car going faster so much as it doesn't slow down in its usual "linear" fashion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in