Hybrid CVT issues down hill? - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Hybrid CVT issues down hill?

I have a 2016 Malibu Hybrid. I bought it used last April and have put nearly 27K miles on it over the last 11 months. My average commute is 3 hours a day where I see all kinds of traffic from stop and go to 70+ highway. One particular spot is usually stop and go while going down a small hill. If it is slow enough, I will put the transmission into L1 which works great for these sorts of situations.... if you have not tried it I suggest you do. It is great to not have to hit the brake pedal when in bumper to bumper traffic.

What is really odd is that I think the fact that I am going down a hill confuses the car. About 3/4 down the hill the transmission will stop providing the "braking effect" and feels like it kicks into neutral. As I starts rolling freely down the hill the gas engine will kick on and rev to what sounds like 3K or 4K RPM. As soon as I hit the brake pedal the engine speed slows down but it still feels like it is in neutral. It is really hard to describe. If I put it back into normal drive, it works exactly as expected.

Anybody else experience this before? It seems like a programming issue where a sensor is reading out of range and getting into a mode where it does not know what to do. I do have a video of it I will try and post here in a bit. I hesitate to bring it to a dealer just because it is such a pain to schedule, drop off and pick up. Especially considering the loaners are never available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Re: Hybrid CVT issues down hill?

The car is so quiet, it is hard to hear and see what is going on. In the video, I am literally rolling down a hill only using the gas pedal in L1. I only have to apply the brakes when it goes into its runaway condition not to hit the person in front of me.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 01:23 PM
CMF Junior Member

It sounds like you've fully charged the high voltage battery. At that point, regen won't occur to prevent overcharging the battery. The engine should kick in to slow the car. Switch on your energy display on the dash to see the charge level. I've never been at full charge long enough to get into this state and I rarely use L, so I don't know exactly how it feels when the engine takes over to slow down the car.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Garage

I love the non-information from the "tachometer". No numbers, just markers on a line that is green, white, and yellow ...

I'm sorry that I can't offer anything constructive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:35 PM
CMF Junior Member

I noticed in your video that you state the battery is fully charged, but you didn't know why. When you are in low, the energy captured during coasting is from the electric motors spinning to generate electricity to charge the batteries. This is true of coasting in drive, but at a much lower rate. So as stated earlier, the engine is engaged to slow the car to prevent overcharging the battery. It doesn't take too long to fully charge a 1.5kW battery pack. This is normal operation.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:32 PM
CMF Senior Member

I posted on this last year. In my car, I often go up and over a 800 foot hill on my commute. I also almost always drive in L1. On the way down, if I don't shift to D then the emgkne braking will kick in. I just make sure I put it out of L1 - no biggie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kai
2006 Avalanche | 2016 Malibu Hybrid

a turn signal is a statement, not a request
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Thanks for the responses. I tried to reply last week but it would not allow me to log in. It all makes sense but I am bummed the engine braking with the motor running does not work at all when dealing with slow speeds. So far this is the only annoying aspect of the car I have found. I am really happy owning my Malibu Hybrid and feel I made the correct choice!!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 06:54 PM
CMF Senior Member

What everyone has said here is true: this is normal operation. Everyone freaks out the first time they experience it (I sure did), but it's fine. When running downhill in L1, or even L2, once the HV battery is fully charged, the ECU will mechanically engage the ICE as a braking device (if it isn't already engaged). When running in this mode, I assume the ECU diddles the cam phasing to maximize the braking effect of the otherwise-dead (no spark, fuel, etc.) engine, and it's just going to sound and feel differently because the wheels are spinning the engine (at 2.6 times wheel speed) instead of the engine running normally and spinning the wheels as usual.

Oh, and just FYI, this car doesn't have a CVT. The electric motors and the ICE provide the variable speeds of the car, not the transmission(which only has one fixed ratio).

Bob
----
'17 Malibu Hybrid
Summit White/Brown
With "Everything"
----
'17 Volt LT
Summit White/Black
Bose, Comfort, Protection,
Lighted Charge Port

Last edited by Dr. Manhattan; 04-01-2019 at 07:45 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Interesting.. I thought it has a CVT - sure felt like one but your explanation makes sense. As you describe the car using the engine to apply braking force, my car is definitely not doing that. I can hear it start up and the RPM's climb quite high (not at all related or correlated to vehicle speed). The car is in a literal neutral gear because I pick up speed just as if I had the clutch pushed in when driving a manual car. The top speed I am reaching is maybe 6-8 mph. As I come to a stop, the engine shuts off abruptly. What you are describing does not match what I am experiencing.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:51 AM
CMF Senior Member

The L1 mode produces very aggressive regeneration and you'll frequently hear the engine rev up when the battery is charged. Have you tried just using D or L2 drive modes?

2016 Malibu Hybrid
Iridescent pearl tricoat, black leather interior, nav, sun roof
Mods: Hylux HID kit, WeatherTech trunk mat, Salusy console storage organizer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in