Ceramic Coating - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Superpro56

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Ceramic Coating

Has anyone had professional ceramic coating done? Wondering if the results were as you anticipated and worth the big $$ shops get to apply this stuff. I was quoted a 3 and 5 year guaranteed product, at $1200 and $1800 respectively. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Re: Ceramic Coating

Ceramic coating is awesome. I'll be having that done when I move and get a garage.

I would not pay 50% more for a 5 year coating. That's just too long to expect lasting results on paint protection, not to mention a lot can happen in 5 years as far as life changes or vehicle damage and you can't get that money back. The $600 difference can buy a lot. For me that's an intake and ported throttle body, or 3 tires, or 6 months of gas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 Chevy SS Sedan
6.2L LS3 V8/6-Speed Manual
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Re: Ceramic Coating

I opted to go the DIY route. I chose the CarPro Cquartz UK 3.0 kit available through Amazon for $64. I did not do all the paint correction this service typically comes with from a professional installer. I simply did a clay bar cleaning, regular hand wash and then applied the ceramic coating.

Application from the kit was quite difficult, had to apply with a special suede applicator and then allow the product to "flash" and then buff off. I had a hard time judging flash by the color (the ceramic would turn a rainbow haze) and opted to go by time alone. Product advised between 1 and 5 minutes flash time, I typically waiting 2 minutes between application and buffing off. I also followed the recommended procedure to only do a 3' x 3' area at a time and change applicators often (every 1 to 2 panels). I have enough ceramic product left to do a 2nd application but had to re-order the special suede applicators as the original kit did not supply enough for 2 applications.

So far, 1 month post-application, the coating is holding up well. Water beads up well in the weather, and I have actually had water beads remain on the car overnight in the garage. Still deal with road grime and have washed the car twice with no ill-effects on the coating or the job its doing. So for $64 and a couple hours of my time, I'm pretty happy with the results thus far.
DrivenDaily likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in