02 Malibu tranny doesn't shift to OD until warmed up - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

02 Malibu tranny doesn't shift to OD until warmed up

Hey guys...and girls..I have an 02 Malibu and the tranny doesn't like to shift into OD until it gets warmed up. So I decided to do a fluid/filter change. When did GM i their infinite wisdom decide we no longer needed a dipstick in the transmission???? How are you supposed to check the fluid level or add fluid for that matter??? Any and all answers are greatly appreciated.

Peace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

re: 02 Malibu tranny doesn't shift to OD until warmed up

come on....are you kidding??? 64 people have read this post and not 1 has any info? Tried searching and can't find any there either so I guess it's see if I can find a Chilton's and look it up...thanks anyway
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Garage
re: 02 Malibu tranny doesn't shift to OD until warmed up

While I tend to agree that you should have had some kind of response, you should be aware that some of those who've "read" the post are actually web crawlers. They are part of the matrix and don't currently pose a threat to Neo.

I changed the title of the thread from "Dipstick??". The words above are taken from your original post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

Last edited by DrivenDaily; 03-29-2019 at 03:31 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 02:48 AM
CMF Senior Member

Re: 02 Malibu tranny doesn't shift to OD until warmed up

dipstick is not big important if you know the required fluid quantity and fill the transmission properly. mine i have changed the fluid for almost 4 times most of them because of leaks from the gasket as a result of using the available aftermarket bad and poorly manufactured gaskets. all you need 6 liters very enough start slowly filling first 4 liters at p let the air find its way out. start the engine and change the gears in all positions while braking if somebody helping you by adding fluid at different gear positions otherwise complete the filling procedure at parking position. don't follow those who said fill it until the fluid overflow out from the top those are car killers.

really this transmission is well built with good maintenance it could survive forever.

another suggestion you can add the same quantity that you have drained if this transmission as factory condition never been touched or leaked.

chevy malibu 98 3.1 l
range rover 98 autobiography
range rover 4.6 l 2001 HSE
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 11:28 AM
CMF Senior Member

I think they just wanted to check the level to see if its correct ....not sure. But I have not checked mine ever.....so I never posted anything...had nothing to add to the sollution..... so yes I read it....and didnt post lol
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 12:40 PM
CMF Senior Member

may be the dipstick doesn't reflect the true level of fluid inside the transmission housing as the fluid itself doesn't leveled at equal level because the gears arrangements and solynoids...etc i am not sure just assumption.

chevy malibu 98 3.1 l
range rover 98 autobiography
range rover 4.6 l 2001 HSE
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 05:08 PM
Certified Technician

As I said on the other thread..
They know how much fluid they put in these at time of assembly. And unless there's an external leak, it should never change. If you need to check fluid level, there is a plug in the side cover. You pull the plug, and add fluid through the filler hole until it dribbles out the side cover, and that's it.

In your case, it could be low fluid, it could be something more sinister.

If the fluid level is OK, you are headed to AAMCO.

Keeper of Eternal Flame, and two cans Eternal lighter fluid.
Holder of the Sacred Password to Identifix.

"Never laugh at your wife's choices. You are one of them."

2011 LS, 2.4L, six-speed ATX
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Thanks for the info I will check and see if I can find the plug in the side cover and check fluid level. Apparently not using my brain cells .... I could check You Tube for a video... I'll try that too....... thanks again

Peace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in