Find Your Car on Google Maps/Earth CM/BU Contest - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
CMF Senior Member

Garage
Find Your Car on Google Maps/Earth CM/BU Contest

OK, this is only gonna be fun for certain folks.

If able, google earth/map your car....best picture wins a 15 dollar(+) gift card...depending upon how entertaining this becomes may increase significantly....

1. Find your car at your home; 5 points

2. Find your car at your work; 10 points

3. Find your car on driving on the road...15...just found my dad randomly in SC...lol

4. Moderator DrivenDaily - Administrator and the two Super Moderators that I know of, get to choose the winner....OK...let it roll! Recipient PM's me address, and I mail out the prize. CPS

Examples given for proving methodology below...(Mine do not count towards this BU contest)

Contest ends 12-31-2018 Midnight Eastern time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Malibu_1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	62205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Malibu_2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	62207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Malibu_3.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	62209  

R.I.P beautiful 2009 (March 12th 2013 07:02:28 EDT)
My '13 Malibu is a 1 3/4 LT; Wife drives a '19 Equinox LT; Kids drive foreign things and Ford's

Last edited by cartire98; 12-14-2018 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Added 3rd picture for clarity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 04:40 AM
Administrator

Garage
Re: Find Your Car on Google Maps/Earth CM/BU Contest

This sounds like an interesting expenditure of time and interweb resources!

I've tried to find my car and never have...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 06:32 AM
Lee
CMF Veteran Member

I can see my car at home in a 2015 Street view.
My wife's Malibu was not at work when the 2014 satellite picture was taken.
I can see it in the Street View but only I would be able to tell it's a Malibu because it's too far from the street to be a clear picture.

How would you find your car on a highway?

Lee

08 Malibu LTZ (Her's)
Imperial Blue
Ebony & Brick interior
3.6 Lt. V6 & 6 spd.
Fairfax Plant Build Date, Jan 08

18 Equinox Premier AWD (Mine)
2.0 Lt. & 9 Speed

Last edited by Lee; 12-15-2018 at 06:35 AM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
CMF Senior Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I can see my car at home in a 2015 Street view.
My wife's Malibu was not at work when the 2014 satellite picture was taken.
I can see it in the Street View but only I would be able to tell it's a Malibu because it's too far from the street to be a clear picture.

How would you find your car on a highway?
Regarding your highway question...it requires that you zoom out from google, land on a popular venue and subsequently scroll, click and scroll/click with the mouse wheel...you'll see your neighbors casually driving/walking on side streets etc...I found myself walking towards the train in the previous 2014 google images which caused me to find my BU new location in the parking lot...so far, you're the only one in the running btw...

R.I.P beautiful 2009 (March 12th 2013 07:02:28 EDT)
My '13 Malibu is a 1 3/4 LT; Wife drives a '19 Equinox LT; Kids drive foreign things and Ford's
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 01:29 PM
Lee
CMF Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartire98 View Post
Regarding your highway question...it requires that you zoom out from google, land on a popular venue and subsequently scroll, click and scroll/click with the mouse wheel...you'll see your neighbors casually driving/walking on side streets etc...I found myself walking towards the train in the previous 2014 google images which caused me to find my BU new location in the parking lot...so far, you're the only one in the running btw...
I know how to do all that, but I thought it would be a very slim chance on finding one of of cars out on a highway
No way of knowing were the Malibu was in 2014 when the Google satellite photo was taken.

I did not post the street view of the Malibu because you can't tell it's a Malibu.

Question for DrivenDaily. Is HTML code turned on so people can embed the Google Map photo or Street View picture?

Lee

08 Malibu LTZ (Her's)
Imperial Blue
Ebony & Brick interior
3.6 Lt. V6 & 6 spd.

2.0 Lt. & 9 Speed

Last edited by Lee; 12-15-2018 at 01:35 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 01:31 PM
Lee
CMF Veteran Member

I'll try to embed the street view at our house.

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!4v1544909439138!6m8!1m7!1sO8xTxsuND0jidS jnHjuDiQ!2m2!1d41.06484528672382!2d-94.35164671774675!3f90.6887!4f0!5f0.78208659746274 69" width="600" height="450" frameborder="0" style="border:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks like embed does not here.

https://goo.gl/maps/KWDejm98uZo

Copy link will work. This will let people zoom and scroll.

Lee

08 Malibu LTZ (Her's)
Imperial Blue
Ebony & Brick interior
3.6 Lt. V6 & 6 spd.

2.0 Lt. & 9 Speed

Last edited by Lee; 12-15-2018 at 01:36 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Garage

Guys, don't you think this might be kinda dangerous? After all, I can now navigate directly to someone's home, which gives me more private info, also referred to as PII - personally identifiable information, and which is the kind of stuff that hackers and others want to use for nefarious purposes.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 06:06 PM
Lee
CMF Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
Guys, don't you think this might be kinda dangerous? After all, I can now navigate directly to someone's home, which gives me more private info, also referred to as PII - personally identifiable information, and which is the kind of stuff that hackers and others want to use for nefarious purposes.
You have a little more info on all of us since you have access to our IP addresses.
In the last 10 years I have posted pictures of our house on this site several times.
Some people post their full name and location on forums.

Just don't post your full name and and start a thread about how the family will be away from home for several weeks.

Lee

08 Malibu LTZ (Her's)
Imperial Blue
Ebony & Brick interior
3.6 Lt. V6 & 6 spd.

2.0 Lt. & 9 Speed
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 01:02 AM
Rix
CMF Rookie Member

Garage

Looks like I won't be able to participate. It will be a year or so before my Malibu shows up. I'm looking on Google maps right now and it still shows my faithful old Impala in the driveway.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 04:44 AM
Administrator

Garage
Cool Re: Find Your Car on Google Maps/Earth CM/BU Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
You have a little more info on all of us since you have access to our IP addresses.
In the last 10 years I have posted pictures of our house on this site several times.
Some people post their full name and location on forums.

Just don't post your full name and and start a thread about how the family will be away from home for several weeks.
If you're comfortable with what you post I'm fine with it. Just making sure folks are aware of the possibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rix View Post
Looks like I won't be able to participate. It will be a year or so before my Malibu shows up. I'm looking on Google maps right now and it still shows my faithful old Impala in the driveway.
Hey, it's your car, so why can't you qualify? @cartire98 just said "your car" and didn't particularly specify it had to be a Malibu. Heck, that means it could be a truck, right?
Lee, masonp and cartire98 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in