How far will a 2009 Malibu go with the 3.6L VVT engine - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

How far will a 2009 Malibu go with the 3.6L VVT engine

looking for information on how many miles will a chevy malabu lt go it has 180000 now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Depends on how much gas is in the tank. 🙂
DrivenDaily, masonp and !Tommy like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2016 Crosstrek Premium 2.0L
2018 F-150 XLT 5.0L
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 06:48 PM
CMF Senior Member

Re: how far will a 2009 malibu go with the 3.6l vvt engine

180025.5 miles exactly.
cp-the-nerd likes this.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Wink Re: how far will a 2009 malibu go with the 3.6l vvt engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by campb292 View Post
Depends on how much gas is in the tank. 🙂
Mmm, actually you could have full tank but if you drain all the oil out and the engine locks up, you ain't goin' anywhere unless you're ready to push it down the road.

On a serious note, it'll go as far as you want it to, as long as you take care of it and have the funds to spend on repairs or knowledge on how to perform those repairs yourself. Although, since you posted this in the Gen9 section, I'd think the former may be the best option for you.

Current Vehicles
2011 Chevy Malibu 1LT (LTZ) Silver Ice Metallic / Cocoa-Cashmere 2.4L
2003 Chevy Impala Base Bronzemist Metallic 3.4L - Second Daily Driver
1986 Chevy S-10 Light Blue Metallic 2.8L w/Western Isarmatic Mark III Plow - Damaged from engine fire, under repair.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Traded
2005 Chevy Impala Comfort Plus Base Light Driftwood Metallic 3.4L - Primary Driver
1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S Light Adriatic Metallic 3.1L - Primary
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 03:39 AM
Certified Technician

I'm stayin' outta this.. that question has more buckshot in it than the hopper on my reloading press.
masonp and Chevyman4life like this.

Keeper of Eternal Flame, and two cans Eternal lighter fluid.
Holder of the Sacred Password to Identifix.

"Never laugh at your wife's choices. You are one of them."

2011 LS, 2.4L, six-speed ATX
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

I just bought the car earterday, and its in excellent condition it dosent have a scratch on it, i took it to a mechanic and he said it was in very good condition if fact he was taken aside from another mechanic and said it was in excellent condition for a 2009, we are replacing a 2005 chevy impala with the 3.5 v6 which my girl friend had an impossible time letting go of, but the transmission is going out which was diognosed and told it would be about 3000 to replace. she loves that car but but it has over 300,00 miles on it, the malabu is a 2009 with the v6 3.6l vvt and 180,000 but it run so quiet you cant hear it unless your standing in front of it, i was noticed it has duel exhaust and wonderedhow many miles we could get out of it with regular oil changes and transmission cleanings, and filter changes, i read some good things about the 3.6l engine and love the power and hope we didnt get a lemon. thanks for the reply.b.m.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 04:58 AM
CMF Veteran Member

Garage
Re: How far will a 2009 Malibu go with the 3.6L VVT engine

It all depends on how the previous owner maintained it. Good maint. = long life. Plus not driving it like you stole it all the time. At 180k anything is possible, good luck.

John
"some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
09 Malibu LS
11 Tahoe LTZ
16 Equinox LTZ 3.6
01 FLHR
Ski Doo's & Sea Doo
02 Malibu traded
67 Malibu sold
64 Malibu sold
07 Mustang GT 3 pedals sold
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:05 AM
Administrator

Garage
Cool Re: How far will a 2009 Malibu go with the 3.6L VVT engine

The 2008 and 2009 and possibly some early 2010 models had a concern with the transmission. The "3-5-R" Wave Plate (a springy washer thingy) would fail. Call a dealer with the VIN to see if it was ever addressed.

How far you go depends a lot on how it was maintained. The 2009 required only conventional oil to meet warranty requirements. I know that because I had a 2009 with that engine and loved it. I traded it at 20K miles for a 2011 with the 3.6L. Sadly, that one was taken 3 years later by a flood and I couldn't afford to buy it back from the auction. I ended up replacing it with an almost identical used one with 56K on the clock and the same engine.

I used various kinds of oil in my first 2011, which required a minimum of a synthetic blend. In this engine, all it has gotten is fully synthetic oil, and the best I can find is AmsOil so that is what it gets.

The biggest tender spots in that engine are the timing chain tensioners. There are 3 chains, 3 pulleys (plus the 4 cam pulleys), and 7 chain tensioners (3 that apply tension, 4 stationary slides). The plastic on those slides and tensioners can be worn more quickly if the oil is depleted of its additives, so changing it regularly and using top notch oil should be the best insurance.

With 180,ooo on it already, if it has lasted this long then maybe it was taken care of. Or not. Since you now own it, change every fluid in it:
Brake fluid
Coolant (be prepared for water pump and t-stat to need changed as well, plus change the hoses)
Engine oil
Trans fluid
PS fluid (I replace the stock fluid with 100% Lucas Power Steering fluid with conditioners and it really helps control the groaning that the stock fluids allows, plus it feels a lot smoother)
Blinker fluid

Other than that, don't take it past 6800 RPM in any gear and it should treat you pretty well.

What color is it? Got any pics to share yet? (No obligation, though.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucas PS with Conditioners.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	63047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Timing chains 3600 GM V6.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	63049  
Chevyman4life likes this.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

Last edited by DrivenDaily; 04-14-2019 at 05:09 AM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:11 AM
Administrator

Garage
Cool Re: how far will a 2009 malibu go with the 3.6l vvt engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Tommy View Post
... snip ...

Although, since you posted this in the Gen9 section,

... snip ...
Thread moved from Gen9 section . . .

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Re: How far will a 2009 Malibu go with the 3.6L VVT engine

Are you sure it was a 2005? The only engine that came with it was the 3.4, 3.8, and 3.8 supercharged. I think the 3.5 started with the next gen 2006 models. It was also available for the fleet versions of the 2008-2009 Chevy Malibus. But I had a 2005 Impala and that's a big reason I dumped mine because the transmission was wonky and I took it to the dealer several times and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. I kind of think part of it was losing transmission fluid as the gasket was reported to be leaking a bit but when I'd check the fluid, it was always up but burnt and that was even after a fluid change. Plus it would slip a lot from take off and then slam into gear. So I traded it in for my current Malibu.

Honestly, as long as these cars are taken care of, they will go a long time. They're not quite like the previous generations, specifically the 5th gens with the 3100s that had the intake/head gasket issues. Both 2.4L and 3.6L are strong and reliable engines but both need to have been taken care of as well and the most important thing with both engines is regular oil changes. The 2.4L can have timing chain issues and the plastic gears can chip teeth off which can be repaired but some dealers go so far as to say the engine needs to be replaced completely. The 3.6L has several timing chains which can cause issues as DrivenDaily stated above.

I just changed my oil over to AmsOil and so far I'm quite happy with it. I used the top of the line signature series 5w-30 and while it does not have the Dexos logo on it, it is beyond qualified for the engine since it truly 100% full synthetic which my 2011 requires. I'm not that aggressive with my 'Bu so I plan on leaving it in until next spring, which I'll probably only put on about 12,000-15,000 miles in that amount of time. I also have the AmsOil Signature Series ATF fluid on order as well and will be changing out the cheaper stuff I put in sometime last year. I want to get as much mileage out of this car as possible after I put so much work into it and it's in my opinion, the nicest car I've ever had. But at 121k miles, it's still chugging along just fine, but I always keep up on its maintenance and that really is the key to having your vehicles last as long as possible.

Current Vehicles
2011 Chevy Malibu 1LT (LTZ) Silver Ice Metallic / Cocoa-Cashmere 2.4L
2003 Chevy Impala Base Bronzemist Metallic 3.4L - Second Daily Driver
1986 Chevy S-10 Light Blue Metallic 2.8L w/Western Isarmatic Mark III Plow - Damaged from engine fire, under repair.

Traded
2005 Chevy Impala Comfort Plus Base Light Driftwood Metallic 3.4L - Primary Driver
1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S Light Adriatic Metallic 3.1L - Primary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in