Front end clunk (video) - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Front end clunk (video)

So I replaced the tie rod ends, control arms, sway bar bushings and links (all moog), complete struts, and axles (cardone). Afterwards I now have a clunk when going forward to reverse and vice versa. I can't figure out what it is. I thought it was the axles so I filed a warranty claim and got 2 new ones. Sound is exactly the same. I cant find anything loose. Anyone have any ideas?

2009 LTZ 3.6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:11 AM
CMF Veteran Member

Re: Front end clunk (video)

could be motor/transmission mounts
DrivenDaily likes this.

Paul - 2010 Malibu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Garage

I would tend to agree. I was watching the wheels in the reflection of the vehicle next to you. I thought it might be brake pads until I noticed that the wheels never moved, so that theory was shot down.

FWD has a lot more movement than RWD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Hmm, I thought I checked those, but Ill have another look. I should say, both sides do it. If the wheel is turned, one side will clunk, then the other side

2009 LTZ 3.6
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 02:33 PM
CMF Junior Member

Did you replace them yourself? If so, it sounds like you have decent mechanical knowledge. What did you torque the axles and tie rods to? Gutentite?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:16 AM
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

Take a look at the subframe bushings also. Check the rack mounts for looseness.

John
"some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
09 Malibu LS
11 Tahoe LTZ
16 Equinox LTZ 3.6
01 FLHR
Ski Doo's & Sea Doo
02 Malibu traded
67 Malibu sold
64 Malibu sold
07 Mustang GT 3 pedals sold
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Tightened the tie rod ends and axle with an impact. I didnt torque them, but I can. Also, subframe bushings? Where are those? I dropped the subframe to do the sway bar bushings but pretty sure everything was put back together properly.

2009 LTZ 3.6
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 03:07 PM
CMF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Chuck Woodward View Post
Tightened the tie rod ends and axle with an impact. I didnt torque them, but I can. Also, subframe bushings? Where are those? I dropped the subframe to do the sway bar bushings but pretty sure everything was put back together properly.
Can't help much, but you will want to torque at least the axle nuts to whatever their specified torque is. Too tight will cause premature hub/bearing failure. I usually just tighten the tie rod ends till they feel tight enough, as I don't think those being too tight can hurt anything. +1 on checking the motor mounts and other various bushings from me as well, might be helpful to have someone else watch and see if there is excessive movement while you are doing whatever is being done to create the noise.

2012 Malibu LT 2.4L in White Diamond Tricoat
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:21 AM
CMF Junior Member

The only thing I can honestly think if its forward to reverse is the axles engaging. They need more torque than an impact. Tie rods can pop their socket if torqued more than a hand wrench and your arm. But if you dropped subframe those need crazy torque too. I would check tranny and engine mounts to be safe bc if you dropped sub with no support you could have ripped em.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

I can push the car forward/backwards and make the noise happen. It looks like the outer cv joint on both axles are slipping slightly. Returning them and getting oem axles.

2009 LTZ 3.6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in