2011 LTZ 3.6 Engine rattle/knocking - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

2011 LTZ 3.6 Engine rattle/knocking

Hey guys! My 2011 Malibu LTZ with the 3.6 has had this rattle since about 110k and has gotten worse now with 154k. For about the past year (makes it really worse on cold morningns below 40) it would run for about 10 seconds then the idle would drop so low it would stall. It would do that repeatedly until the engine warmed up a bit. Also it goes through spells around every month for about a week or so of a huge loss in power. When starting up an incline you can feel the engine bucking or the power cutting in and out until it downshifts but still feeling loss of power and a drop in fuel economy. Then it straightens up and runs good for a while, it just feels more lively and powerful. I use the same gas all the time (Shell 89) I’ve replaced the maf sensor too. Fuel pressure is good. No check engine light or stored codes. The rattle noise is loudest when the engine has heat soaked for around an hour. I’m really thinking all of this is timing chain related. I first thought it could be lifters but I remembered it’s over head cam lol. Then I thought maybe the camshaft actuators. I’ve always changed my oil around 4K miles with Pennzoil full sythetic and AcDelco filter. What do you guys think?? Thanks In advance! Here is the link to the video I uploaded to YouTube

Last edited by ChevyMan99; 04-23-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Garage
Re: 2011 LTZ 3.6 Engine rattle/knocking

I would hazard a guess that it's internal engine items, either the crank, rods, or cam followers.

But that's based on hearing 3 seconds of a video, too . . .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Sorry, I didnít find it necessary to record any longer because thatís all of the noise until it sits for some time. After that noise, it sounds healthy just like any other engine.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Garage

No need to apologize. I listened to it several times and turned the volume up each time.

If it's the timing chains then you might be able to do them before anything bad happens and keep it on the road for another 150K.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:21 PM
Certified Technician

I couldn't hear the clip well, but on startup, I'd think the hydraulic chain tensioners are getting weak.

Keeper of Eternal Flame, and two cans Eternal lighter fluid.
Holder of the Sacred Password to Identifix.

"Never laugh at your wife's choices. You are one of them."

2011 LS, 2.4L, six-speed ATX
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Sorry for the crappy video. I took a couple better ones today. The first one is starting the engine cold. You can hear the rattle noise. The second one is a hot restart after sitting an hour.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Garage
Cool Re: 2011 LTZ 3.6 Engine rattle/knocking

I would tend to agree with what @JLDickmon said is probably what's wrong.

The next step is to figure out how to test his theory and then effect a repair.

I had what sounded like valve lifters tapping. Drove it delicately until I could arrange a visit to the dealer, but it decided to break instead. The oil on the ground came from the hole in the bottom of the oil pan, and the yellow circle shows it came through the pan. Another piece came through the side of the block!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160209_080929.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	63095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inked20160209_085254_Yellow Circle.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	63097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine damage-7.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	63099  

Last edited by DrivenDaily; 04-25-2019 at 03:04 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:39 PM
Certified Technician

I heard just a TOUCH of timing chain rattle.. just for a second.. how many miles on the engine?

Keeper of Eternal Flame, and two cans Eternal lighter fluid.
Holder of the Sacred Password to Identifix.

"Never laugh at your wife's choices. You are one of them."

2011 LS, 2.4L, six-speed ATX
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 05:01 PM
CMF Rookie Member

I'm locked out of my account.. but I figured this out..

It's oil draining out of the VVT system. When you crank it up, the VVT rattles back and forth until there's enough oil pressure up top to hold it. Get an ACDelco oil filter with the drainback valve in it. That should cure it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in