6T40 Transmission Confused...or should it respond this way? - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JLDickmon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Question 6T40 Transmission Confused...or should it respond this way?

Something that has been going on for a while that drives me a bit crazy is when I'm driving down the road and I go around a corner that doesn't require you to stop, if you get your speed down to about 15-20mph and you go to accelerate, it stays at gear 3. I have verified this several times by immediately putting it into manual mode and it'll be in 3rd gear. What makes it annoying is when you go to accelerate, you can hear the engine bog down like you would expect it to since you're trying to go from almost nothing in a higher gear. In order for it to shift down without manual mode, you almost have to go at least 1/2 open throttle and when you do, it obviously shifts down but then it puts it into high RPM so it becomes an aggressive acceleration which isn't always necessary. Sometimes I will put it into manual and shift it myself, but is the transmission suppose to act like this or could it have picked up some driving habits? The car used to be owned by an older gentleman that ended up passing away last year from Lewy Bodies disease. I've had the car almost 3 years now but I'm just wondering if it could've picked up and learned more of how he drove vs how I drive.

Another thing that can be annoying but not as bad as when you're on the highway and going at least 55-60, it doesn't always want to shift into 6th gear and it'll stay in 5th. I think part of that might be my own fault because I will set cruise control and soon as I accelerate to where I want it to be so I'm assuming that when I do that, it just figures I want to stay in 5th gear as well. Sometimes if I hit the reduce speed button on the steering wheel, it'll end up shifting into 6th or I'll just end up putting it into manual, shifting into 6th, and putting it back into automatic mode. I've noticed that if I do accelerate on the highway, take my foot off the gas, then it'll shift into 6th and then I can hit cruise control and all is well.

So, is all of this normal behavior? The transmission otherwise acts fine, no shifting problems between gears, and it does go back to 1st if I come to a complete stop. I've done some research online and never found the exact answer to this, even though I've found a lot of information about the tranny but they're other general problems with adaptive learning. Can the adaptive transmission be reset by a Tech 2? I noticed that in my Tech 2, there's an option for fast adaptive relearn under the transmission module setup. It says to set the parking brake and block the back wheels. It says that the car can lurch forward during this test. So when it says to block the back wheels, does it mean to but some sort of block in front of them so that it limits the car moving? I don't really care if the car moves as I live on a boring street and I can do this procedure in front of my house if need be. But I don't want to go forward with it if it won't fix anything/there's nothing wrong, or I don't have the necessary things in order to proceed.

Insight on the matter would be appreciated.

Current Vehicles
2011 Chevy Malibu 1LT (LTZ) Silver Ice Metallic / Cocoa-Cashmere 2.4L
2003 Chevy Impala Base Bronzemist Metallic 3.4L - Second Daily Driver
1986 Chevy S-10 Light Blue Metallic 2.8L w/Western Isarmatic Mark III Plow - Damaged from engine fire, under repair.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Traded
2005 Chevy Impala Comfort Plus Base Light Driftwood Metallic 3.4L - Primary Driver
1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S Light Adriatic Metallic 3.1L - Primary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:19 PM
Certified Technician

Re: 6T40 Transmission Confused...or should it respond this way?

What I would do, is contact the Dealer and see if there is an updated flash program for the transmission.
Anytime I go to any type of a driveability school, they always tell us to "ensure the unit has the most updated flash programming available"
!Tommy likes this.

Keeper of Eternal Flame, and two cans Eternal lighter fluid.
Holder of the Sacred Password to Identifix.

"Never laugh at your wife's choices. You are one of them."

2011 LS, 2.4L, six-speed ATX
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Thanks for the suggestion @JLDickmon. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to have something simple done so I'll have them make an appointment to have it checked. It's not a horrible issue, but it's definitely irritating.

Current Vehicles
2011 Chevy Malibu 1LT (LTZ) Silver Ice Metallic / Cocoa-Cashmere 2.4L
2003 Chevy Impala Base Bronzemist Metallic 3.4L - Second Daily Driver
1986 Chevy S-10 Light Blue Metallic 2.8L w/Western Isarmatic Mark III Plow - Damaged from engine fire, under repair.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Traded
2005 Chevy Impala Comfort Plus Base Light Driftwood Metallic 3.4L - Primary Driver
1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S Light Adriatic Metallic 3.1L - Primary

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:32 PM
CMF Junior Member

Where abouts are you located state wise? Shifting to 6th? Mine hates to stay in 5 and loves going to 6 and never downshifting. It also depends on your driving style.

A tune really clears this up, but even I still have flare up problems sometimes as well during shifts. These are very oddball transmissions tbh. They are really finicky and meant for cruising and driving like you are 85 years old

Also, a lot could attribute to it as well such as misfires, dirty throttle bodies, poor fluid maint, etc. but more than likely it will be the tune and the crap tranny
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:37 PM
Certified Technician

I just thought of something else..
If you have a scanner with bi-directional controls, you could clear the adaptives and see if it's just simply learned bad habits.

Keeper of Eternal Flame, and two cans Eternal lighter fluid.
Holder of the Sacred Password to Identifix.

"Never laugh at your wife's choices. You are one of them."

2011 LS, 2.4L, six-speed ATX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in