1999 Malibu dies right after starting - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

1999 Malibu dies right after starting

Hello everybody,
I am struggling with this problem:
My 1999 Malibu, this afternoon, started doing this: I turn the key, no life on the panel, but i can hear the fuel pump. It cranks and starts but dies 1 or 2 second later. No theft light on. After many tries, i turn the key and i see the panel working.. I try starting the engine and this time it stays on. I turned it off and started couple times more and it worked fine.. but i don t trust it now. What is going on?
Thank you very much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:12 AM
Administrator

Garage
Re: 1999 Malibu dies right after starting

Hello, and welcome to CMF. Your thread was moved from the section for help with the website itself, plus the title was slightly modified to include the model year. In this section you should get more traffic and more help.

You may be experiencing an issue with the ignition switch and/or tumbler.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:41 AM
CMF Senior Member

Are there any stored codes? Could be a few things....bad ground...ignition switch....all kinds of stuff. Have you recently done any work or installed something electrical?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Thanks for the replies, about a year ago i installed a separate button for the horn since the one in the steering wheel doesn t work anymore. I used a ground from the fuse box near my left leg. But never had a problem with it, and watching videos on youtube it looks like the ignition switch is the culprit. The tumbler is new.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:42 AM
CMF Senior Member

Is the check engine light on? Codes? Does it shut off exactly the same time? Just wondering if the ecm is seing somthing and shutting it off. Or if its not exactly the same time, wondering about a loose conection
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Check engine light has been on for years cause of the o2 sensors, but no new codes. The panel was dead when it was starting and shutting off. When the panel works, the engine works normally. I replaced the ignition switch, the tumbler is new. Let s see how it does.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 05:50 AM
CMF Senior Member

Best of luck....only thing I personally been through is.....

Had a 2000 cavalier. ..when the panel died.... engine would die....my alternator was shot then killing the battery. All guages,displays, etc. Anyway you can get a reading off the alternator? If possible try and see the voltages when your panel is working vs not working ( I know good luck with that). Just wondering about a bad connection at either the battery or alternator.... I am just tossing a guess out here so bear with me. If I was more sure on my gues I would suggest geting both tested....but for now, just get a multimeter and try and find out what the battery and alternator is putting out (free to check )
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 04:06 AM
Certified Technician

I wouldn't even think that much into it. The way the system worked then, if it "saw" the magnet (there is a coil that picks up the voltage spike induced electromagnetically), it assumes the key is correct and away you go.

Put a fuel pressure gauge and spark tester on it and see what it's losing to cause the engine to die. If the engine dies and spark and fuel pressure are still present,

It may be as simple as the throttle body is dirty and it can't adjust idle air flow fast enough.

Keeper of Eternal Flame, and two cans Eternal lighter fluid.
Holder of the Sacred Password to Identifix.

"Never laugh at your wife's choices. You are one of them."

2011 LS, 2.4L, six-speed ATX
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 04:09 AM
Certified Technician

I'm not saying the passlock system couldn't be causing your problems, if it is, switch, tumbler and collar need to be replaced all at once. Or you could do the "GM ignition switch resistor" mod, found on Google and YouTube.
But if PASS is causing the issue, the Theft light WILL be illuminated.

Keeper of Eternal Flame, and two cans Eternal lighter fluid.
Holder of the Sacred Password to Identifix.

"Never laugh at your wife's choices. You are one of them."

2011 LS, 2.4L, six-speed ATX
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Thanks everybody for your replies, I think it was the ignition switch since the panel wasn't turning on and i had no seat belt alarm, and the engine was starting and turning off immediately after, in the same exact way everytime like the ECU wasn't powered. The thing is, it was working again before i replaced the switch so i cannot be 100% sure that it was the culprit..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in