Won’t crank - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

On Easter, my wife took the 2002 Malibu to church. When she went to leave, the car would not start. Would not even try to start when she turned the key. Lights came on but wouldn’t even crank. She says she kept turning the key on and off and after a few minutes it started.
It’s been fine since then, until last night. I got off the train to come home and it did the same thing to me. No cranking, lights came on, everything normallly the same but won’t even try to start. Theft light is NOT on. Fuel pump primes (it was replaced last year) My Bluetooth adapter when plugged in shows the battery voltage at 12.2
What can it be?
Please help!!

Last edited by Jfinesse2000; 05-07-2019 at 02:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:37 AM
Administrator

Garage
Re: Won’t crank

Very possible that the key tumbler and ignition switch (2 separate parts) have worn enough and need attention, aka replaced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
Very possible that the key tumbler and ignition switch (2 separate parts) have worn enough and need attention, aka replaced.
Thank you. Just from reading around the internet for similar issues, that is one that I see often. Is it also possible it could be the starter? Where is the starter on an 02 Malibu?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

It’s definitely the starter. Tapped on it and it started right up. Watched a couple of videos on YouTube and it seems like a pretty easy job. Will attempt to do it myself.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:42 AM
CMF Senior Member

Ya brushes are shot in the starter.... they are really easy to rebuild yourself if you felt like it
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 05:48 PM
Certified Technician

it's not the brushes.. it's the bushings on the end of the armature in the case..
Back in the day (when I got into this business, 40 years ago), we rebuilt our own starters as a normal course of business.
I used to be able to replace bushings, re-wind armatures and stator magnets, replace the brushes.. then the "discount auto parts places" came along.. you could buy the parts to rebuild your own unit for $19, you could buy a fully "rebuilt" starter for $24.. now these permanent magnet starters (smaller, lighter, higher torque) have taken over the market, are crimped together, and as such aren't really designed for "user serviceability."

Keeper of Eternal Flame, and two cans Eternal lighter fluid.
Holder of the Sacred Password to Identifix.

"Never laugh at your wife's choices. You are one of them."

2011 LS, 2.4L, six-speed ATX

Last edited by JLDickmon; 05-09-2019 at 05:50 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 11:38 AM
CMF Senior Member

Ya.... our kits up here were around 40 bucks.... buts that like 30 years ago
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

I replaced the starter yesterday. All is well now. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in