03 Malibu - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DrivenDaily

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

03 Malibu

210K miles. I've owned it for about 6 years. Good body, and it runs like a dream. My problem is I think the transmission. If I drive any distance, then slow down to turn onto a side street, as I accelerate once I get out of the turn, it misses. I could accelerate for a few seconds before the car jerks as the engine and transmission get back together. Would changing the fluid help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Garage
Re: 03 Malibu

Welcome to CMF. I moved your thread from the New Member Intro area so you'll get more traffic and help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Welcome to the forums! We're glad to have you here!

Okay, so let's start with this. What size engine do you have in it? If it has anything similar to the Impala of that same timeframe, they were known for being unreliable. But with that many miles, I'd be sort of weary of changing the fluid. Check your dipstick and check the level and color. If it is down, I'd definitely add some extra fluid. If it's burned (smell it, ATF fluid has a distinct smell when it is new), you *could* change it but I'd definitely do so with caution.

Let me ask you this, what do you mean that it *misses*? Does it slip, hesitate? When you're at operating temperature, does it ever feel like it slams into gear or gives a big thud? When that happens, it's definitely overheating ATF fluid. My 2005 Impala was bad for that. My 2003 does it sometimes but it's rare.

But how you proceed is up to you. But whatever you do, do NOT flush the tranny, just change the fluid if you're going that route. I don't even know if I'd change the filter at this point. I'd probably recommend Valvoline MaxLife ATF fluid to replace yours with. You should change your fluid at least every 75k to 100k miles and don't believe that hype on "lifetime fluid". Lifetime fluid is lifetime of the transmission and the life isn't really as much as you'd expect it to be for such an expensive part.

Current Vehicles
2011 Chevy Malibu 1LT (LTZ) Silver Ice Metallic / Cocoa-Cashmere 2.4L
2003 Chevy Impala Base Bronzemist Metallic 3.4L - Second Daily Driver
1986 Chevy S-10 Light Blue Metallic 2.8L w/Western Isarmatic Mark III Plow - Damaged from engine fire, under repair.

Traded
2005 Chevy Impala Comfort Plus Base Light Driftwood Metallic 3.4L - Primary Driver
1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S Light Adriatic Metallic 3.1L - Primary

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 03:16 AM
Administrator

Garage

Yes, please share what engine size, and clarify whether it's the engine that seems to be missing or if it's the transmission that's missing. When it jerks, does it seem like the engine has a problem running or is it the transmission, or possibly you're not sure and are just describing the best way you know how?

If you change the fluid, change the filter. If the filter is crudded up and all you do is swap fluid, it'll still be crudded up and restricting fluid flow.

I'd love to see external filters for the transmission and fuel. They could be swapped without having to dive into the system and doing so would probably extend the life of the associated components. But I digress . . .
!Tommy likes this.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

It's a 3.1 V6. In the past year its had a new fuel pump, water pump, serpentine belt and battery, as well as spark plugs and wires. It gets regular oil changes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in