4Likes
  • 1 Post By Darthz
  • 2 Post By Mrtn82
  • 1 Post By cp-the-nerd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Rear brake drum to disc upgrade

Hello. This is my first time posting. I have an 07 Malibu LS sedan with a 2.2L ecotec. Currently looking into doing a drum to disc brake upgrade. My question is about the proportioning valve. Would I actually need a different valve to make the conversion work or will the calipers work with the one I have? I couldn't find any listing with a different part number from the one I have but on some sites it says to use only with a front disc rear drum system. Even checked at a GM dealership. It's the only part number listed. The only option from that is an ABS pressure modulator but, my Malibu doesn't have ABS. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 04:35 AM
Administrator

Garage
Re: Rear brake drum to disc upgrade

Check out this thread and the comment from member @RalphP.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 07:25 AM
CMF Senior Member

Wow first time i heard of these cars coming without abs!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 07:37 AM
Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthz View Post
Wow first time i heard of these cars coming without abs!
For a long time, it depended on the trim level.. a low-end wouldn't, but an LT or LTZ would.

Keeper of Eternal Flame, and two cans Eternal lighter fluid.
Holder of the Sacred Password to Identifix.

"Never laugh at your wife's choices. You are one of them."

2011 LS, 2.4L, six-speed ATX
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 02:05 PM
CMF Senior Member

Just wierd..... in 2007.... i didnt know ANY car that had no abs lol....learn something new everyday
cp-the-nerd likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

So, through a bit of research, I found that the base level G6 (same platform) came with 4 wheel disc non ABS. I then went to ACDelco's website and found that there was a different part number for the proportioning valve on said G6 (ACD# 15821482) and in the picture, the outward appearance was just like mine. So I'm thinking the internals are different and it will bolt right in. PERFECT!!! Except, the part has been discontinued. Called all the local salvage yards and looked all over the interwebs for a needle in a haystack. Put a request in on junkyarddog.com and got a response the next day. After a conversation on the phone, I paid more than expected, got the part shipped in a few days, installed everything and drove it home that night. It stops a lot better now. Lol.
DrivenDaily and cp-the-nerd like this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Good job following through and making it all happen!
DrivenDaily likes this.

2017 Chevy SS Sedan
6.2L LS3 V8/6-Speed Manual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in