Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

options for larger alternator and battery?

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  jnells 
#1 ·
Just looking to see what people know are good upgrades for batteries and for alternators. I have a stereo system which can suck alot of juice. So im just looking for advice on what I should look to get. I was told about Marine batteries but I have no idea where to start with that. And as per an alternator, im looking for a larger alternator that can keep up with heavy hits from my stereo.

#2 · (Edited)
I have an 05 base malibu. I upgraded to an XS D3400 AGM battery under the hood and absolutely love it... highyl recommend!

Northstar batteries are another good AGM. Optima, Kinetic, and the rest are just ok... They are better than wet batts, but XS and Northstar are the best bang for your buck and best "juice"

Edit: you can fit a group 31 bat under the hood in battery tray but it takes some slight modification. Group 34s fits perfect but takes a little effort to seat properly

As far as alternator, contact Mike Singer of Singer Alternators. He has the only one that will work with our OEM alt harnesses. I'm getting a 320A, but also available in 240 and 270 iirc.
Lifetime warranty too :)

Otherwise Mechman also makes a direct fit HO alternator for Malibu's

#4 ·
How has your alternator been holding up for your system? I'm finally at the point where I need a larger alternator. My battery dies after 2-3 days of inactivity and I suspect there is something causing a draw of electricity or the alternator is just on its way out. The car has 157,xxx and it's never been changed so I'm thinking it's time.

#5 ·
I upgraded to a Singer 320A, had for about a year with no real issues. I love it, I'm running around 4K rms total and i barely have any voltage drop while driving. Only at idle.
My factory alt HATED it for the few weeks I had it on this setup tho.
I would not be surprised if yours is on its way out at 150k miles, mine wouldve probably quit on me by now to, had I not upgraded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.