How to: Upgrade factory tweeters - Standard system - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By !Tommy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
CMF Veteran Member

Garage
Cool How to: Upgrade factory tweeters - Standard system

I do not know if the Bose system works in the same way or not. I'm assuming it does but whether the wire colors are different, I don't know and cannot test them.

With that out of the way!

How to: Upgrade your standard radio system factory tweeters in a 2008-2012 Chevrolet Malibu

What you will need
-New tweeters
-Factory tweeters for ends - or fabricate your own
-7mm socket and socket wrench for removal (could even get away with pliers in a pinch!)
-Butt-crimp connectors or solder, your choice
-Soldering iron if you decide on the latter for the previous item
-Duct tape or some other way to hold your tweeter in the A-pillar

This is a very short and easy process and should only take 30 minutes to an hour, depending on your skill level. Easy peasy!

In this case, I decided to try out the Power Acoustik NB-18 200 watt tweeters, found at Walmart for about $8. I will put my opinion down of them at the end of this how to write up.

For this install, I decided to make it easy and I cut the cables off the factory tweeters and put those aside, I may want them again someday and I can easily reuse them again.

Step 0 - Remove A-pillar, airbag harness, tweeter connector, and pull out.

Step 1, obviously cut the connectors off factory tweeters. I recommend about half way so you have plenty of cable to work with.

This is where color coding might be different and it's not very obvious because I've seen on here how people report different things. My 2011's tweeters are green and red with a green stripe.

Factory tweeters: Pure green is positive - red with the green stripe is negative!

These ones and most any other ones, gold is positive and silver is negative.

It seems the wire with the stripe is agreed upon to be negative based on other posts.

I imagine I could've been more professional and if you want to take more time on it, go for it! I stripped my factory connector with about 1/4 inch of bare wire. The tweeter already had wire and the ends stripped so that saved me some time. I then used a butt splice connector and crimped it on well, both sides obviously! I then used duct tape on all exposed sides to make sure wires don't come loose over time and to make it water-resistant.

Plug tweeter in and test, make sure it works before the next step!

With these tweeters, they actually fit decently in the holder of the A-pillar. I was originally going to use a popsicle stick to hold the tweeter in place but it cracked while I was trying to make holes for the bolts. So I decided to just go ahead and use duct tape and taped it in well and put the bolts back in through the tape since duct tape is strong, it won't be going anywhere, even if the sticky ever goes.

Reinstall and enjoy!

As for the tweeters. They are an improvement to the factory ones surprisingly. But I'm not an expert on audio so maybe someone has a different opinion. But they certainly do improve the treble and mid ranges a lot. The true test will come when I listen to them more and while I'm driving.

Either way, this is how you do it!
DrivenDaily likes this.

Current Vehicles
2011 Chevy Malibu 1LT (LTZ) Silver Ice Metallic / Cocoa-Cashmere 2.4L
2003 Chevy Impala Base Bronzemist Metallic 3.4L - Second Daily Driver
1986 Chevy S-10 Light Blue Metallic 2.8L w/Western Isarmatic Mark III Plow - Damaged from engine fire, definitely repairable!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Traded
2005 Chevy Impala Comfort Plus Base Light Driftwood Metallic 3.4L - Primary Driver
1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S Light Adriatic Metallic 3.1L - Primary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 09:22 PM
CMF Rookie Member

Could you please go into depth of how to remove the A pillar? Such as where the clips are and if there are any screws? I can't seem to get mine to pop off so I stopped to do a little research before I break something. I have a 2015 malibu ls but it should be similar enough. Thanks
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 04:09 AM
CMF Rookie Member

Re: How to: Upgrade factory tweeters - Standard system

Sorry old thread, but the a pillars just pull off. Get a good grip and pull

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 04:39 AM
CMF Rookie Member

What tweeters are good?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

I bought the Power Accoustics from Walmart for $8. They're decent but I feel as though they could be better. Sometimes I get way too much mid even with the mid turned down. I honestly think anything is better than nothing. When I hop into the Impala, you can certainly tell the difference because it does not have tweeters built into the A-pillars. So it's nice to have the mid-section, but I think there are better ones out there.

Current Vehicles
2011 Chevy Malibu 1LT (LTZ) Silver Ice Metallic / Cocoa-Cashmere 2.4L
2003 Chevy Impala Base Bronzemist Metallic 3.4L - Second Daily Driver
1986 Chevy S-10 Light Blue Metallic 2.8L w/Western Isarmatic Mark III Plow - Damaged from engine fire, definitely repairable!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Traded
2005 Chevy Impala Comfort Plus Base Light Driftwood Metallic 3.4L - Primary Driver
1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S Light Adriatic Metallic 3.1L - Primary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in